Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Spike

Default RE: Migration

I know i can go to the local police and get a free trigger lock, however i was planning on bringing my M99 308 lever. a trigger lock would not even work on this would it? does this mean i have to disassemble it? would i have to disassemble it every day there? or can i put a cable lock through the loading port down through the opening for the clip making it impossible to close the action with the lock in place?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

put a cable lock through the loading port down through the opening ..good enough
Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

This may be a stupid question, but must you keep the bolt, gun & ammo seperate? I know when traveling through some southern states, you may not keep your ammo in the same case as your weapon. If you pull the bolt out, must it be "packed" seperate form the gun? I also have a trigger lock which I may use.

I've become a bou-aholic and I've not even been there to see them yet!! Just pictures and stories:-)
Old 09-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

TRANSPORTATION OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

[/align]
10.[/b] (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if

[/align]
(a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and

[/align]
(b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.

[/align] (2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

[/align]
(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

[/align]
(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.

[/align] (3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm

[/align]
(a) is not visible; and

[/align]
(b) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/visitin_e.asp

[/align][/align]
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

The ammo needs to be seperate, but the bolt is OK to be stored with the rifle in the case - the border cop just made us remove them and we put them in the case pocket (Allen Soft Case) and ghe said that is fine. Funny, in 2004 we got pulled over in Mt Laurier by a mountie and I had a box of Federal on my dash. He held us for a while and then just let us go one - never daind anything about the ammo and my gun was cased behind me.Then, just after I cut my heads off in view of the HighGate VT crossing (since I forgot the whole way back), I left a box of 7mmRM on the dash and the the US guy did not even blink an eye.

The seperate ammo rule wastold to us in 2004 at K381, the year tehy started up the check stations there. They had a laundry of rules about turn offs and such and one item was to keep ammo seperate from the fire arm, and if you werre caughtoutside of shooting time with a gun and ammonear by you were going up the river.The year on the lst days out, we were pulled over just out ofh te Mirage lot by a fish cop and he wanted specically to know where our weapons were and ammo, luckly they were cased and the ammo seperare since it was 1/2 hour or more before shooting.

Long travel though it is good sense to keep them seperate and gun inoperable - many states have this rule already.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

I think they have to be under 100K - just save the pic in an editor cut down to less size. It is a PIA, but the site would be on many more servers if you could post a 2MB picture 1278/1080.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Spike

This site provides a large amount of valuable information. I have not seen anything on how the caribou are attracted to road salt however. For those reading that are making the first trip please keep in mind that the Caribou like other animals are attracted to salt.I made my first tripto Mirage last year. I was surprised on seeing Caribou in the roadparticulary on corners. I'm hoping the bou will be much farther North this year but if some are before the trans-taiga turn on pavement beware of salted/ sanded corners. I was told that they try to keep the bou of the road by using sand but apparently some salt is also involved. Not fun coming around a corner to see 20 bou in the road.

I hope everyone has a safe trip. Think double shovels

Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

T-minus 47 days and counting!!
Old 10-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Spike

50 days and counting for me. Can't wait to get up there.The last online migration map looks good and the cold weather seems to be holding off so far. I'm sure it will get there sooner or later. I'm from Northern Ontario and the moose season opens tomorrow. There's been a fall chill in the air for a couple of weeks now. Anybody been talking to any hunters that have come back from the fall caribou hunt. If any of you have just come back let's see some pics.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

What is the weather like up near the camps? Here in PA it's been unusually warm for October! Today we had low 80's when we should be in the mid 60's.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.