Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 12-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

I don't know anyone who has done the bus thing but it doesn't look too inviting to me except that you can leave the driving to someone else. Once you get there the options are kind of slim. Mirage has separate bathrooms and showers for women. If you can get into the deluxe rooms you have your own bathroom and two queen size beds.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:10 PM

Hey Spike00, how did you guys do up North? Any chance you were up or leaving the Camp K area around 11:30 am on Thurs the 30th. A truck like yours passed us as we were a few miles from the camp.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

By the looks of the migration map, it doesn't seem they are heading south anymore. Seems they have kind of settled in to that area just below the resident zone. Weather here in PA has been really mild this year, has it been mild up there also?

Those of you who went up early and brought animals back with you, did anyone have any trouble at the check station at K381? Did you guys all bring back whole animals or did anyone quarter them and just bring back meat?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Just spoke with Mirage. They said people are starting to tag again. They are still having to trek 70 km into the bush, but are coming out with bou. Better than it was earlier in the month.

cheers
Old 12-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mustad

Just spoke with Mirage. They said people are starting to tag again. They are still having to trek 70 km into the bush, but are coming out with bou. Better than it was earlier in the month.

cheers

I'm sorry but I don't believe that for a minute. All the animals are a long way from there. About 1000 are in the resident zone but no where near the Mirage.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Spike

Bkmstr

We had a 1 1/2 hour delay at 381. Very slow process for a fairly short line. We brought back both whole caribou and animals Mirage quartered for us with no difficulty other than the wait.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

I hope you're wrong DS. I'm heading up in a couple of weeks (jan 6-10).

cheers,
Old 12-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

mustad.....I assume since you live in Quebec, you didn't get a draw tag, because there are some in the Resident zone. But not many. We were supposed to go next week but not now. There just isn't anything there.

I wish you the very best of luck. If they're getting some they must be stragglers for sure. I'm hoping they'll turn around and come back northeast before the season ends. Then we'll go up. It's three weeks before you go up. Things could change in a week. Do you ever look at the migration maps? They're kind of interesting.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Darkside,

No I didn't tag for 22-A..

I've been looking at the migration maps. Looks like most of the herd, at least those with collars, went through 22-A. This is my first trip up. From what I've heard from many people is that while the maps are great to look at, they certainly don't give the whole story.

cheers,
Old 12-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

No you're right. They don't tell 100% of the story. But they're a pretty good indicator of where the Caribou are. If you noticed, there's still one green square in the resident zone. And that herd's about 1000 animals like I said. We've been hunting here well over 10 years. I find that there are a few that don't follow the main migration. But they are spotty and very hard to find. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't want to work that hard. But we've never been skunked yet. You enjoy your trip up and I hope you get your animals. If you've never been here before, just the trip alone will be fun. LOL. Take care!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.