Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

I'm looking forward to this years trip to Mirage November 30-Dec3. Thanks to all the people posting information on this thread. I'm finding it helpful in planning our hunt. Does anyone have any advice on any special consideration I should take for my wife. She's a novice and sh'es the reason I'm going as she asked me to take her!!! She shot a nice buck field dressed at 191# a couple years ago but has little experience. I'm interested to learn what methods you find best. Thanks all...
Old 09-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think you will be going at one of the best times. depending on the caribou movement you may not have to travel that far off the road to have good sucess. what i did was to get out early just as in deer hunting (before sun up) and arrive in the general areas where the caribou were at. i found a good crossing as the sun was rising as i could see the caribou. the guides kinda suggest just leaving at sun up but its your hunt so take thigs into your own hands. your guides will tell you the best places to go. i would then get out and set up an ambush point off the roads in the bush as many will use the same trails. some hunters will just sit in the heated truck but i thought that was not for me. when i went it was minus 20 degrees so i can kinda understand. i didnt see any women up there except for the cree indian housekeepers. it may be a little overwhelming with all the men in camp but i did see a whole family hunting the road. grandma- grandpa-husband-wife- a real family affair. they had a snowmobile with them and gladly drug mine and my brothers caribou out of a low spot on a small lake a couple hundred yards from the road. wouldnt even take a tip. very friendly people!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:40 PM

BKMSTR, we were up there last year at the same time.(Nov. 30th-Dec.4th) Weuse a 4X4 Dodge Hemi towing a 7X12 Tandem Axle enclosed trailer with electric brakes. We also travel with a6 ton electric winchjust in case. The roads and weather were moderate last year so we did not have any problems.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

big or small... How was the hunting when you were up last year? It's only months away and I'm starting to get pretty excited now. I've already got my list of things I need put together. We're going to give ourselves plenty of time to travel up for PA so we can take it easy with the trailer. I think I may barrow a winch from a friend just for a safety precaution. Has anyone ever had trouble starting there vehicle up there with extreme cold weather? I'm going to have my battery tested just to be sure none of the cells are week. If anyone is looking for any information about winter caribou hunting, this forum has got to be better then any books, magazine articles, or websites...
Old 09-03-2006, 07:04 AM

BKMSTR, Last year when we arrived at KM381we saw every vehicle leaving the area full of caribou.According to these hunters they had the main herd come thru that week.(Nov.23rd-Nov.29th) We saw many herds all the way to camp. My Brother/Law and I had one caribou each within an hour of arriving at the camp. One way we found to hunt these caribou was to watch for a herd to come across the terrain and try to figure out what their path of travel would beand get there first. I actually spotted a caribou with a large rack out about 1/2 a mile and found a rock outcrop to set up at close to where I thought this caribou would cross. He was 170 yards out and now resides on my wall. Here are a few details for time and mileage. We left Windsor, Ontario at 2am 11/29 and travelled thru Toronto, North Bay, New Liskeard and crossed into Quebec at Noon.(mileage 568 miles) We then arrived at KM381 at 10 pm (mileage 1050 miles) We passed the Mirage at 8 am and arrived at Kisk (11/30)at 10 am(stopped numerous times to watch the BOU.) (mileage 1459 miles). If you would like more detailssend me your e-mail rather than overload this forum.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:18 AM

Tughiller, I was up at Kisk the same time last year and will be there again this year. I agree with liquidorange, you can set up along a trail as they use the same trails. You can also watch for a herd and get close to where it looks like they will cross. We had shots as close as 20 yards and as far away as 300 yards. If necessary, by hunting close to road the drag is short and there is always a warm vehicle close by. I saw 3 or 4 women hunting at our camp last year and they all filled their tags.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

We will also be at Mirage Nov. 30-Dec. 3. This will be my 7th time up there and have seen women every year. There will be one woman in our party this year and have not seen any issuesrelated to havingwomen in camp. There are several women working there and it just isnt a big deal.This will be the second time there has been a woman in our group. At Mirage there should be no issues with privacy or any need for special consideration other than what you would give for any other novice or inexperienced hunter when you are in the field. I hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:04 AM

I have enjoyed all the reading matrial in this forum. This will be the first caribou hunt for myself and I am really looking foward to it. Myself and the guys I will be hunting with are in the first hunt on Nov. 18-22 at Nauchomi in one of their outpost cabins. I do enjoy the do it yourself type of hunt, but if there is any information, tips or tricks it would be greatly appreciated.Good luck to everyone headed to Quebec for 2006!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Spike

Hello everyone, the chatter on this site is starting to pick up, it's got to be getting close to caribou season. last year was GREAT.... the bou were there andthe racks were huge, we shot some monsters!Our gang of sixis going back again this year; Nov 27 to Dec 1, we are staying at the Mirage.I hear Mirage has a new snowmobile outfitter this yearand Paul has moved up to Kiskhas anyone else heard anything like that?
Have a safe trip ,good luck hunting[8D]
Old 09-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

THis is true - they use an outfit call Explorer Nature and they have some good packages if you book ahead - you can save some $$ on a rental. They can also wrap it into what you have already book at Mirage if they have enough sleds. http://www.xplorernature.com/

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.