Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Hi Guys just a couple of questions we are going up for dec 2nd what is the average temp then and how deep is the snow we are taking a snow machine snow shoes ect. thanks Len
Old 10-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If bringing a snow machine then make sure its a lightweight longtrack style as opposed to a short track performance sled. You will be running on frsh powder most times with no trails at all. Another alternative is a good sled/toboggan that is big enough to fit a Bou and snowshoes.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:01 PM

rrules, i am also going to be there for the nov 15th hunt. Where ya staying, i am booked at the mirage. I could use some gps cords if ya are willing to share it would be appreciated since this is my first trip. Thanks to all that have posted in this forum it's been a great help
Old 10-26-2005, 04:59 PM

I am going to be at one of the low rent Nouchimi outposts. Mirage looks nice I think you'll like it! Here are some waypoints:

Here are some other waypoints that may help:

Le Relais Gas Stop north of Matagami N 52° 13.700 W 77° 03.601

Nouchimi N 53° 42.167 W 73° 43.082

Radison N 53° 47.250 W 77° 37.185

MARK 544 (turn in point on Tran Tioga) N 53° 19.410 W 77° 26.665

395 KM mark on the Trans TIOGA by N 53° 55.413 W 72° 27.113

This will help you along as head north.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:02 PM

It can get real cold up there in Dec. Bring your snuggies. Guys I was with last year said it was -40 or colder in Dec, 2003. They talked about blood being frozen on the Bou by the time they walked over to it!
Old 10-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your going that far i would try to bring snowshoes. the 2 years i went you didnt need them but its cheap insurance,. i like these http://www.snowstuf.com/ you can practicaly jog in them. they are super light weight and have a cool springy motion to them that aids in walking especially in rocks and brush. i didnt have to go off road more than 100yards or so on a side road. i would get the bigfoot plastic tobaggon from one of the marts. its around 20$ and is like 6 ft long
Old 10-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

A couple questions on Quebec's regulations.

1 Orange Vest------My jacket is blaze orange------Do you still need the vest? The way I read the rules it says "a vest" needs to be woren.
2 Guns need to be in a case & in the trunk when not being used in the field. Is a soft case OK or does it need to be a hard case? Also in a pick-up is behind the seat in a case OK?

Kind of dumb questions--but I don't want to give the MAN any reason to pass out the green stamps.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Bob

A couple questions on Quebec's regulations.

1 Orange Vest------My jacket is blaze orange------Do you still need the vest? The way I read the rules it says "a vest" needs to be woren.
2 Guns need to be in a case & in the trunk when not being used in the field. Is a soft case OK or does it need to be a hard case? Also in a pick-up is behind the seat in a case OK?

Kind of dumb questions--but I don't want to give the MAN any reason to pass out the green stamps.
Your jacket is fine. I also wore a blaze shirt under my coat. Be aware that you must always have blaze on. They will fine you if you take off your vest to filed dress your Bou. Blaze is really important up there. There are lots of bullets flying and you always want people to know where you are.

I am sure you will be fine with you gun a softcase in the cab. They don't want you shooting out of your truck.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need a hard case, and the back of your cab is fine. What you can't do is travel with a loaded gun which is a no brainer anyway but to avoid arguments with officers who interpret the law any way they want just travel with the gun inside a soft case until you get out of the vehicle. What is illegal in Canada is to leave a firearm in a vehicle in plain view. So don't ever leave a rifle where it is openly visible like the seat of a pickup or SUV. The trunk of a car is fine if its encased.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

The rules are a 400 sq" min vested orange - just means on your torso.

The gun does not need to be in a case, just un-loaded. They have a good rules listing@ K381.

For Len - last year it was ~ - 35 at night and -20 in the day with a stiff 30 mph wind. We follow snowmachine tracs out andonly use shoes off the tral to retrieve. Snow was chest deep in most places if not more.

It was so cold thatwhen I opened the animal I stuck my hands in to get warm.I pulled out my right hand, full of blood and it froze solid as it ran down my hand. I made a fist and shook it all off - almost clean. Brush off you cloths also before you get in your truck or you will have a type A puddle on your mats. Comes of easy in the cold.

It was neat.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.