Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 08-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

No, fox are furbearers and can only be trapped up there and only by cree indians.
By wall hanger if you mean caribou then yes absolutely. I mounted a double shovel with excellent symmetryand 36 points. Passed up much larger racks but I wanted something that would fit my house and I prefer lots of points to an overly wide rack which can look a bit sparse I find. Some of these racks are almost 6 feet wide but can be spindly looking. Everybody I know who wanted a wall hanger got one.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

GEEEEEZ Terry, Yer killin me! I still got 3 1/2 months to go!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i saw one wolf while up there. it was cool looking mostly black in color. i consider myself lucky to see it. word to the wise while hunting up there dont even think about gutting any animals near or on a main road. i drug mine off the road quite a ways and that was a back kinda side road and still got looks from the game wardens up there. the ones i talked to were brought in from ONTARIO to monitor the caribou hunters. i wish they would have seen the idiots i saw lobbing bullets from 600 plus yards at a cow . just thought this wasnt too bright!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen a wolf twice while hunting up there, 2000 and 2002. You're right, there are some real morons out there who have no consideration for other hunters. The up side to that is there's a lot of territory and a lot of animals. I have had several encounters with game wardens and have always been treated with respect but they will fine you for a violation. It doesn't hurt to stop and talk if you see them on the road. Ask a few questions about hunting regs. They usually travel in pairs and at least one will speak pretty good english.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:41 AM

Terry check your email.

I am not an outlaw, but I just don't like having the wardens around because I am sure they can find something wrong. Is there anything special we should know about the rules and regs? I know the blaze vest and hat.....but anything else?

Thanks, I am like BTHUNTER: I am getting so excited!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Expect to see game wardens every day and last time we also had quite a bit of Provincial Police which are the equivalent of your state troopers and those boys aren't as flexible as game wardens!. As others have said there are lots of stupid people who go there. On every hunt we come across dead animals that were abandoned likely because the shooter saw a bigger one or made a poor shot and was too stupid to track. Caribou are easy to shoot but a gut shot animal can cover alot of ground. Liquidorange makes a god point about gutting animals on the road. I find its lazy and shows no respect for the game or others. Gut them where they drop, you are dragging them through snow so they will not get dirty.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM

No kidding about the wardens and provincial police???? What are they looking for? I agree about the gutting, gut them where the die....not at the road. Also I don't agree about shooting them close to the road and gutting by the road.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:59 PM

Also I checked out the migration maps, are the caribou moving to far south too early? They seemed to group up and have moved a lot over the past week. Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry about the migration. They are still above the tree line and in fact go back and forth until it starts freezing then you will see them start to congregate into the hunting zone. They have been doing this migration for a long time now, don't worry.
As for the cops and wardens they are there to make sure people don't shoot from the road, down the road, waste game, drive a vehicle with a loaded firearm, drinking that sort of stuff. Just use your head, tag what you kill and they won't bother you.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

You are absolutely right. The wardens and cops won't mess with you unless you deserve it. The hunters put a lot of money into the economy up there and they don't have time to mess with you just for the sake of messing with you. There are enough morons out there to give them plenty to do. Follow the rules and use common sense and you will be fine. There are plenty of places to pick up a booklet with the hunting guidelines. It will help. And by all means tag what you shoot as soon as you get to it. They are pretty fussy about that. If you aren't happy with the animal there is always next year.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.