biggest dressed buck in your area >

biggest dressed buck in your area

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

biggest dressed buck in your area

Old 01-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default biggest dressed buck in your area

just curious.Whats the biggest buck in your area dressed.or live weight.here in lanark county a guy shot a 10 pt last year that dressed out at 302.not to sure about this year though.seen a deer dressed out at 245 but i would immagine there was a bigger one somewhere
Old 01-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: biggest dressed buck in your area

I just don't understand this weight thing, I've hunted deer for 20years and can't say I've ever weighed in a Deer. What is so fasinating about the weight ? am I missing something ? ...BT
Old 01-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

adrian,in my neck of the woods the weight is the big factor.Here the bigbuck contest is won every year with the weight of the animal.Some people score the antlers which is a good thing and am interested in it myself,but i am just curious how big the deer are getting in different parts of the country.Here on average are the deer bigger in body weight then sask or vise versa or anywhere for that matter.Adrian seeing a deer weighing 250 verses 150 dosnt get you pumped up just a bit.It does for me and he usually has the head gear to go along with it.Again just curious
Old 01-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

here's some info that you may find interesting,,

http://www.whitetaileddeer.ca/articles/whitetail.htm
Old 01-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks adrian for the website.I found it very interesting reading.Also very educational
Old 01-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't hear of any dressed weights of deer from alberta and saskatchewan because we do not have to check in our deer and almost never weigh them field dressed.What we call dressed here is a carcass with the internals,hide,legs and head removed ready for the butcher.They get weighed in this state by the butcher before he begins cutting them up since he charges by the pound and needs to know what to charge the customer.Mature bucks in this state usually weigh 150 lbs or more with some in the 200lb range taken every year.The butcher in my fathers little village recorded the heaviest weight in this condition at over 210lbs.I have weighed a few of my own deer whole before any dressing and the largest was 330lbs.the weight with head,hide,legs and internals removed was 176lbs.Based on that the deer that weigh 200lbs at the butcher would weigh around 360 to 380lbs live weight.Based on these numbers I believe that the deer in alberta and saskatchewan are as heavy on average as the deer taken in ontario or elsewhere.This would be especially true considering that our low hunting pressures allow the deer to reach maturity in greater numbers than most other locations and bucks that weigh 300lbs live weight are fairly common as a result.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:13 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-21-2004, 12:31 PM

i agree that alberta and saskatchewan have as heavy bucks as anywhere,but i think the weight of mature bucks around canada are relatively equal,i hunt out of nova scotia,and it is regular for the top 30 bucks here to go from 220-270 lbs field dressed which would put them around 330 lb live weight mentioned here,and some larger that might weigh 350 + live weight,and i'm sure the same exists in all provinces.
thanks to alberta we also have lots of large bull moose here which were transplanted here in the 1940's!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Here there was one 2 years ago killed in Sutton,near USA border,311field dressed. A huge 10 points
Taureau noir