Germany - Mannheim >

Germany - Mannheim

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Germany - Mannheim

Old 09-10-2018, 06:36 AM
Spike

Default Germany - Mannheim

Hi all, and congratulations for your good forum. I am newbie in hunting and game, and that's the reason why I am here. My name is Konstantinos, I am Greek, currently leaving in Mannheim Germany. I have stopped the conventional meat, and I prefer only game.

I hope I will find some answers here especially for beginners.

To start with, is there a German here? Do you know good restaurants in Mannheim, specializing in game? Google does not help a lot and 99% it focuses just on deer.

Also, it is truth that the best way to cook wild boar is to boil it? There are not good ways for grill or coal - fire?

Thanks in advance and nice to meet you again.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mannheim isn't near me, I'm way north of you. I rarely eat at restaurants that serve wild game. Though I have sold to more than a few. No law against selling wild game in Germany.

Best way is to get in contact with a local Hunting club. Usually pretty conservative types, not often the warm and fuzzy types. Tell them what you want. The closer you buy to the source the cheaper it is going to be. Price doubles every time it changes hands. 9 Euro's on the low side 16 Euro's on the high side, per kilogram direct from the hunter (or Forstamt). The Forstamt is also a good place to ask, they manage the city/state forests. The price at the Forstamt is stable depending on how much you buy, but availability varies. In restaurants it costs more than Porterhouse steak. There are Butchers who specialize in wild game, a likely place to ask questions. Search mannheim wildfleisch metzgerei

A Metzgerei or the Forstamt tests for radioactivity. Which is still a concern after Chernobyl.

I cook it just like Pork, slow coke covered for a long time, keep moist. I mostly make Goulash (γκούλας) slow cook for hours, add potatoes after the meat is fork soft, add vegetables just before serving. The Greek are famous for their Pork dishes.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-10-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, hey, hey Mudder. How about the rest of that delicious sounding recipe?

For Konstantinos, anything Mudderchuck tells you is solid info. He's been in Germany for quite a while and has the perspective of moving there from another country.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
Hey, hey, hey Mudder. How about the rest of that delicious sounding recipe?

For Konstantinos, anything Mudderchuck tells you is solid info. He's been in Germany for quite a while and has the perspective of moving there from another country.
I'm one of those cooks who never make it exactly the same way twice. The only difference is spice to taste. I'm not big on tomato sauce, I do add half tomatoes towards the end. I most always add some paprika, Pepper, a little white Vinegar, some onions and garlic early on, an acidic baste and some Raps oil seems to make the meat more tender. I often sear the meat first in Raps oil, seems to improve/strengthen flavor. Nothing fancy. Some say add spices late, some say early, I do both.

I avoid too much salt, no Celery or Carrots, just my preference.

Now is the perfect time to stock up on Boar (generic male or female) meat. During or after the harvest (they have been eating good, mostly Corn and grains) and before the mating season (Male Boar get hormone infused in the late fall). And before the Acorns fall, Acorns can give the meat a slightly bitter taste (tannin?), Hundred-hundred fifty pound sows are the best eating IMO.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-12-2018 at 03:00 AM.