HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Other Areas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas-29/)
-   -   Question for any Russian hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas/414570-question-any-russian-hunters.html)

Kyboy88 06-29-2017 07:18 PM

Question for any Russian hunters

I just have found out about a hunting dog from Russia called the East Siberian lakis. From the little bit I have found they same to be a alround dog but most of them being used for hogs bear and mosse. but I saw a video on YouTube of 3 of them being used in a fox hunt I could not understand what the people were saying but it looked like the dogs had run the fox down and killed it. My question is for any one that has hunted with those dogs is would you believe they could have the speed to over take a fox?

Daveboone 07-05-2017 03:05 AM

I certainly don't know for sure in regards to the breed you ask about, but our lowly beagles are used for fox hunting. They cant out run them short distance, but in the long run they do. Just better staying power.

qcman 09-06-2017 07:35 AM

Hi man,
I was born in USSR and I'm somewhat familiar with these dogs.
There are several breeds of Laikas in Russian Siberia. The West and East Siberian ones are most popular. One of my friends has West Siberian laika, a beautiful foxy red female - these are usually colored from brown-gray to foxy red with some white usually on legs and face. The eastern ones are usually black-white, have stronger legs and body - these ones are more agressive - they are literally furios on the game and probably better choice for professional hunters who spend weeks and months living and hunting in taiga. The West Siberian laika considered to be more intelligent, more manageable and human friendly which makes it ideal choice for those who keep their dogs in house together with humans. The dogs of both breeds are pure energy cells, so there is even NO question that they can have enough speed to overtake a fox. :) Any laika can do it routinely. The chances are that an experienced laika can kill that fox alone for you, so you won't even need to spend a shot. The properly trained laikas are able to stop and keep on a spot an adult bear. They will be barking, jumping around, biting and keeping the bear until hunter arrives to kill it. They routinely seek, catch and kill smaller animals like fox, racoon, squirrel, etc. If there is an animal on a tree then this dog will stay near yelling and barking until you come to take it down. I saw my friend's dog fighting racoon in a river, she was trying to kill that racoon by grabbing it by the neck and immersing her head together with racoon into water... Man, I have never seen anything like this in my life. Nobody even trained her to do it. Later I've read that this behaviour is rather a normal attribute of this breed, a result of many years of selection. So laikas are meant to pursue the game even in water. If you're able to have such a dog, you can't be wrong by choosing laika.

Originally Posted by Kyboy88 (Post 4309235)
I just have found out about a hunting dog from Russia called the East Siberian lakis. From the little bit I have found they same to be a alround dog but most of them being used for hogs bear and mosse. but I saw a video on YouTube of 3 of them being used in a fox hunt I could not understand what the people were saying but it looked like the dogs had run the fox down and killed it. My question is for any one that has hunted with those dogs is would you believe they could have the speed to over take a fox?

Vladimir 11-22-2020 11:29 PM

Hunting can be different. A friend recently told me that 2 of his huskies caught a ROE deer and killed it. I didn't even have to shoot. It is quite possible that the Fox was caught. But we have a breed of dog greyhounds are used for hunting hare, Fox. While chasing the beast, greyhounds reach speeds from 49 to 61 km / h