HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Other Areas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas-29/)
-   -   What would your ideal African safari be? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas/401916-what-would-your-ideal-african-safari.html)

Kingsview Safaris 10-08-2015 09:28 AM

What would your ideal African safari be?

For those of you who have dreamt of or are even busy planning your African hunting trip, what ideally would it consist of?
Something for the family maybe, a guys only trip, roughing it and experiencing the bush or enjoying the comforts of a fine lodge....
Looking forward to hearing your ideas and dreams.

flags 10-08-2015 01:07 PM

Minimum of 30 days in the bush in either Cameroon or the CAR hunting Lord Derby Eland and Western Roan in the savanna and then switching over to the forest for Bongo, Forest Sitatunga, Giant Forest Hog and maybe Elephant with some duiker hunting for the pot. Oh and it would only cost $10K for the entire trip.

Can you set that up? I'll stroke a check right now if you can.

Mickey Finn 10-22-2015 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kingsview Safaris (Post 4222360)
For those of you who have dreamt of or are even busy planning your African hunting trip, what ideally would it consist of?
Something for the family maybe, a guys only trip, roughing it and experiencing the bush or enjoying the comforts of a fine lodge....
Looking forward to hearing your ideas and dreams.

I'd think a roughing it hunt with some of the common plains game.
I don't know them all but Zebra, Eland, and some of the other nicely horned animals. Maybe a little fishing or bird hunting thrown in.

My friend flags who posted above actually wants to take on a lion with his K-bar knife. Can you set that up? :D

Good hunting this season.

flags 10-22-2015 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn (Post 4224504)
My friend flags who posted above actually wants to take on a lion with his K-bar knife. Can you set that up? :D

I'd be happy to hunt the lion if Mickey will pick up the tab. If he pays for the hunt I'll use whatever he wants as long as he puts $250K in an escrow account for my wife. Let me know when you have it paid for Mickey.

Oldtimr 10-22-2015 01:52 PM

Roughing it on a safari? I don't think you know much about hunting in Africa Mickey, it isn't going out on your own and hunting and pitching a tent. Even if you could, you would be in the belly of a lion, leopard or hyena the first night. Being on safari means making the primitive luxury.

Mickey Finn 10-22-2015 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4224505)
I'd be happy to hunt the lion if Mickey will pick up the tab. If he pays for the hunt I'll use whatever he wants as long as he puts $250K in an escrow account for my wife. Let me know when you have it paid for Mickey.

Maybe I could sell tickets. Hmmm, or do a squares type thing. How many minutes...

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4224513)
Roughing it on a safari? I don't think you know much about hunting in Africa Mickey, it isn't going out on your own and hunting and pitching a tent. Even if you could, you would be in the belly of a lion, leopard or hyena the first night. Being on safari means making the primitive luxury.

Good point. Maybe you should come along.

Kingsview Safaris 02-11-2016 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn (Post 4224504)
I'd think a roughing it hunt with some of the common plains game.

Funny you mention that, we actually do offer a Roughing It Package. Great fun and a real challenge.

buffybr 11-30-2017 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4222396)
Minimum of 30 days in the bush in either Cameroon or the CAR hunting Lord Derby Eland and Western Roan in the savanna and then switching over to the forest for Bongo, Forest Sitatunga, Giant Forest Hog and maybe Elephant with some duiker hunting for the pot. Oh and it would only cost $10K for the entire trip.

Can you set that up? I'll stroke a check right now if you can.

Sign me up for that one also!!

Actually my hunts in Mozambique with TMS (Traditional Mozambique Safaris) were in a tent camp with all of the food cooked over coals from the fire.

Daveboone 12-04-2017 02:53 AM

My wife and I have decided we want to go to Africa...We have never taken a big trip away, and it would be a once in a life time.
Our means are pretty modest, and we don't have a big home so we are only interested in a limited bag.
Due to political/ personal safety reasons, ease of access, we are looking at South Africa, probably flying into Johannesburg, no connecting flights. I am only looking for probably four trophies...Zebra, Kudu, an impala and maybe a warthog. My wife is a non hunter, but would like to accompany us at least part of the time. We want to probably add several days on after the hunt for us together for wildlife viewing, visiting the Addo elephant refuge, and there are several big cat sanctuaries/ rehab facilities in the area that would be fascinating. We have no interest in city life, but would love to visit a real street market (not an urban flea market)...
We are going to Harrisburg for the big sports show just to talk with folks and get a real feel for what is out there, probably planning at least 3 years down the road.

Big Uncle 12-08-2017 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Daveboone (Post 4321997)
Due to political/ personal safety reasons, ease of access, we are looking at South Africa, probably flying into Johannesburg, no connecting flights.

We have no interest in city life, but would love to visit a real street market (not an urban flea market)...

I will not hunt in SA but I travel through there to hunt other African countries. The airport at Joburg is basically a den of thieves so watch your bags and your pockets. Whenever I am flying to that airport I use hard sided luggage with no zipper. It is amazingly easy to open a zipper using just a ballpoint pen. Last year a pickpocket got my small camera case out of an inside pocket of my vest somewhere in the airport. I did not mind too much about the camera and case but the SD cards with all my photos are gone.

Lately there have been quite a few robberies of tourists as well. This is not real common but be aware that it does happen. Here is but one of the news stories:

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...oburg-11565662

Here is a news story from BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41413307

I would not let things like this stop me from hunting in Africa, but you should be aware and watch your backside when you are there.

My favorite plains game hunts have been in Namibia and Botswana. Currently I would not book a hunt in Zim but hopefully things will settle down a bit there since Mad Bob and his bride are out of power.

Good luck.