Zebra South Africa - April 2010 >

Zebra South Africa - April 2010

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Zebra South Africa - April 2010

Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default Zebra South Africa - April 2010

Zebra Stallion taken with a .338 Lapua at 250 yards. And no....I did not find Crocodile Dundee in South Africa!

It was on of the few times my husband and I were hunting together. He was after Gemsbok and I was hunting Zebra.
Zebra are strange animals....if something runs....they run with it. We saw ostriches run past with the herd behind them and an hour later saw them running back following Eland. To see a zebra you would think the black and white would stick out like a sore thumb, but in reality when they are running it is a perfect camoflauge and they are a grey blur and nearly impossible to pick out in the tall grass.

I quit pursuing the herd when I learned my husband had shot a Gemsbok and they were having problems recovering it. So we joined the search for his wounded animal. Several hours later right before sunset the zebra herd appeared on the horizon feeding slowly towards us.

If I was going to take my zebra I knew 250 yards was the only opportunity I was going to have. I was nervous as this was going to the furthest shot I had ever attempted. I waited for the stallion to turn broadside, took a good rest on the bench of the landrover, settled my sight on him and one shot later I had my rug!

The shot startled the wounded Gemsbok who had bedded in the tall grass not far away and as he jumped up, my husband was able to put the final shot in him and we both had our animals.