Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
2009 Canadian Hunting Posts >

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Here's the pic of my buck. Story is not great...was driving by a beautiful spot at 9:00 when I saw this guy running to the corner of the field. Was able to get a stalk to 200 yds. my shot was slightly back so I left him for 1/2 hour. He dropped about 30 yds in the bush, not the biggest but the biggest we saw that week. The other is a little forker my buddy got in the same field the next morning. 4x4 is the buck he got on the drive home.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-1.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-2.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-4.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-3.jpg  

Last edited by JD IN ALBERTA; 11-30-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

here's a post that was beside a piece of property owned by sask wildlife federation...thought it was cool
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-5.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-6.jpg  
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go JD and YF!

YF, you sure know how to get it done with a bow. Good job!

JD, Nice to see you finally get that gorilla off your back! Too bad the weather wasn't a little cooler this week but i guess that's part of hunting.

My Sask trip lasted all of 25 minutes. I got distracted watching some small bucks chasing a doe in the pre-legal light and was late getting to my usual spot. Since I was late anyway, i decided to take the back trail in and caught a glimpse of a doe followed by a very large shadow heading for a small willowy draw. After checking the corners for "no hunting" signs, I decided have a closer look. No sooner had I gotten across the ditch when the buck appeared in a gap in the willows. I got a quick look at his right antler as he walked and decided he looked good enough to shoot. my first shot wasn't great but my second did the trick. it wasn't until I walked up to him that I saw he'd broken his entire left g2 off. I was a little disappointed at first as he didn't seem as big as I'd thought but I later realized as I was dragging him out that he had a huge body.His hooves were like a small elk. It took everything I had to get him in the truck.

Wainwright was a blast! We saw lots of deer and a few real monsters. I messed up on a very nice mulie and my partner had a 15yd mexican standoff with a 170+ whitetail. In the end, we each took a deer home. My buddy shoot a decent mulie on day two and I shot a small whitetail on day three.

Wainwright buck
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Well done Sask. that buck looks nice, did you leave right after you shot your deer? Just wondering how the action was for you. I loved the territory but was very surprised on how few deer we saw, even does for that matter.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

Talking

Hey JD you Did It

Congrats JD, the weather was the same here as you were describing for what you had in Saskatchewan. My last morning on stand was my best for the season as I had a total of 9 bucks and 8 does walk and get chased around the base of my stand. You gotta love it when you see a doe kick up her heels and tell her lover come and get me. The chase is on. The bucks were all small with the best being a 120'ish 4x4 . Really thought something bigger would be with the does. Saw three 200 class deer this fall and all were early in the season. Truly thought it was going to be my year to break the 200 inch mark. Was a year in transition for me with the changing of jobs . The last 4 years I've been able to put 80 + days on stand this year ,well let's just say was a downer,lucky if I got 20 days on stand which were all weekends and the 2 holiday days
Great for you Sask to see you did well in seeing game at the Base,I've hunted Wainwright a total of 5 times and have never taken a buck. I call this hunt my meat hunt because we usally load up on does after the season with a rifle. Only time the gun comes out of the attic, LOL. It's nice to see they allow both Muley and WHitetail to be taken now,it used to be only on the last day of the 3 day hunt of the last 5 day package. Did you see any of the monster Bull moose they have on the base?.To the rest of you still lucky to be able to hunt,good luck and shoot straight and God Bless
Rocky
Old 12-01-2009, 05:23 AM
Spike

Congrats guys!!! Way to go JD, gettin that whitetail monkey off your back. Ummm sask...small whitey? beautiful chocolate antlers, gotta love em. Took the fiance out on Sunday am, played catch and release with 4 does. Headed out to my bow stand on some new property that I had aquired permission to hunt. I am about 8ft off the ground and low and behold deer moving towards me. Panic attack trying to get bow up and untied. 18yard chip shot, right behind her front shoulder, picked a hair and released. Watched as a small hole opened up in her hide. She falters abit, and heads off the way she came. Look for my lumenock, glowing brightly at the base of a small pine. 43 yard tracking job. Pardon the pics as I had to use the timer on my digicam, set up cam, push button and SLIDE into photo lol. Headed out to fill my dad's and a buddys tags on Wed. Keep the posts coming fella's!!!
Cheers
Reese
Old 12-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Nice work Sprockett! Yeah the wainwright deer looks a lot bigger in the picture than he is. It's all a matter of scale. He is probably the smallest bodied whitetail buck I've ever shot, couldn't have weighed more than 150lbs on the hoof.

JD, yeah pretty much. i went back to S'toon to skin and leave the deer a my inlaw's and then left for Wainwright. For what it's worth, I saw 5 bucks and 4-5 does in the 25 minutes that I hunted but I definately wouldn't be able to say either way what things were like for sure around there. I saw plenty of deer in October. However, the buddy I know up there said they saw lots when pushing bush on their hunts but otherwise things were warm and slow this year, not much movement unless you went in and got them going. Weather was pretty similar when we were in wainwright to what you described . We got rain one night which froze all the sand and made walking very loud and crunchy.

YF, saw probably 10-15 moose. one might make 40 inches on a good day. Other than one small tour down part of blue route, we hunted the annex all three days, mostly around the Trading Post. I couldn't believe how many sheds i was finding. Mostly small mulie stuff but i did find two decent elk sheds. I'll definitely be back at the base, I think the BP season is the way to go. We could have easily filled all three tags but were holding out on the first two days.

Mulie does are still open up here but i'm not sure if i'll make it out as it looks like I'm flying a moose survey next week in Rainbow Lake and High level. Fun.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wait to go fella's. This year is not even close to what hunting should be like in Sask in November. Deer movements have been limited and likely hot spots have switched due to the need or lack of need because of the warm temps. It's been a tough one.

I think I have come to the realization that my "toad" was a "flyer", rut brought him in & poof he's moved on. Haven't seen hide nor hair of him in the past week!!! The bedroom I have been watching thinking it was his i9n fact belongs to unique/older buck (good mass, decent length - 150 -160). If things don't change I might be sending him a dirt sandwich on sunday. After spending some time watching the bruiser I am growing fond of his personality...kinda like me a little grouchy and defiant! Watched him shut down an up and comer on sunday am, all it really took was a lip curl but he favors pinning his ears back (looks pretty mean). Big body and been to war a few times.

Got a run back to work to catch up so I can get out this weekend. Later all!!!!

Work late and now can't sleep...urg!

JD what area did you spent most your time on your hunt? What did you think of the area in general? Minus the weather which sucks! Would you come back??? Sunday was easily my best day in terms of seeing animals, but it was cooler then its been in the am all month & even the daytime was close to freezing. This week the weather has dropped with daytime highs in the -5 to -8 range and calling for -double digits this weekend for daytime highs. To me that's whitetail hunting in sask and of course some white stuff never hurt either! Any way hope you had a good trip and glad you were able to drop one to ease the monkey off!!

SB, wow 1/2 hour that's getting it done!!!! Broken G2 sucks but still a nice buck!!! Congrats on your successful week in 2 provinces and whitetail season in general.

Sprockett, congrats on the stick and strings doe. She'll eat well!

Rocky bull mooose and mulie first with the bow...congrats. Moose are a blast aren't they? Good eatings to go with what sounds like some awesome memories of a season in the stand.

JD...bad timing..rider faithful had a tough pill to swallow on sunday much less you toting the team who's Q'b dished them and took the horse crew to the promise land... LOL!

Keep you posted on my last 2 days to get it done!!!!!!

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 12-02-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well 2009 is in the books for biggame hunting for me. I put the grouchy buck down this weekend, not really much of a story he came into his bedroom as per other encounters offered a 1/4 away shot and bang. Mature, dark horns good mass, decent lengths and spread with a little character. He broke off a conjoining point on the right side G2. I figured it to be approx. 5" when I first spotted him but I'm not sure if it was their last weekend or not?? Oh well notched tag and time to re-group for 2010.

To those still hunting good luck. To those finished for the year congrats and look forward to sharing next year again.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-2009-deer.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-deer-pics-2009-3.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Nice work Skeeter! That's quite the old warrior. I'm a sucker for bucks that carry their mass up through their beams and tines like that. Give me an old heavy buck over a tall spindly one any day. Good work.

Next up is shed hunting I guess. I'm taking three months of parental leave so hopefully my little girl and I will get out playing in the snow a bit this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.