Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
2009 Canadian Hunting Posts >

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Nice work JD! that's a nice buck your cousin got. Looks like you're doing well with the pheasants again this year too.

Too bad about the piggy Skeeter. Hopefully you cross paths again. Good luck with the mulie.

My week of muzzleloader hunting went well. i got a lot of scouting in, found a nice shed, and passed up a chance at a good whitetail. I'm not sure how big he was which is why I didn't take the shot. He looked good but not good enough to shoot on sight. Unfortunately, he winded me and took off before I got a better look. I did manage to shoot 7 mallards and a sharptail one afternoon with the dog. I shot at several coveys of huns but man, I forgot how fast (and small) those jeezly little beggars are.

the deer were definately moving more by the weekend of the 31st. The last week of Nov can't come soon enough.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

we pulled his game cam and found this pic on it...the deer on the right is most likely the deer he shot. Hopefully you can make it out, it's alittle dark. It's about 2 miles from where the cam was set up.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-1.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool JD, good day and nice pics.

Saska, sounds like you had a productive week even if the tag wasn't filled. Are you coming back or is that it for this year?

As for me saturday was a bust, a few small bucks (not a single doe) after miles of walking prime country caused me to say screw it and come home to take in the game instead (good for a rider fan...lol). Yesterday was a completely different, seemed like deer were dropped in over night. Hightlights included a stare down match that resulted in a big bodied 3x3 stealing a younger 4x4's small group of does. The 3x3 is wide and kinda cool but score wouldn't be to kind, so I passed. I found a non typical mulie who sported a dark heavy 4x frame with a droptine off the left side and several stickers. I spent several hours playing cat and mouse with him before he finally gave me the slip. I stayed in the area for the evening in hopes he might come out to a hay field...no dice. Probably should have taken a pretty nice 4x4 who did show up on the hay field but with images of him dancing through my head I didn't. We'll see if I made the right choice, season ends sat. however looking like weds may be my last crack. We need some colder weather soon, deer aren't moving like they should and rutting is not on par during the daytime hours like it should be. The NT didn't have any girls yet!!!

Take Care
Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Nice trail cam photo JD. I've always thought it would be kinda cool to have a trail cam photo of a big buck i'd harvested.

Skeet, my somewhat ambitious plan is to be back in Saskatoon on the 24th, hunt in Sask the 25th, then drive to Wainwright that night. After Wainwright finishes on the 28th i'll be back to Sask for the 29th and 30th. Lotsa miles but it should be fun.

Sounds like you have a good mulie spot lined up which seems to be half the battle these days. Good luck with the big NT on wednesday.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of miles for sure but hey hunting season only comes once a year..so what the h#ll! Best of luck!

Thanks, I'm hoping it will be good again tomorrow & wouldn't mind a little visit from lady luck either.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Spike

Default Wow it has been quite a while

Damn fella's I feel like a turd....been a while since I have made appearance here lol.....damn life gets in the way waaaaay to much....
ok...08 brought me a gimp buck that I had to bring down ( front shoulder broken and limping bad) 09 WOW....fiance came hunting with me and DAMN let me tell ya...whenever she tries something for the 1st time it ALL goes wrong...left compass in truck...gps in other hunting bag....p!ss poor shot on my part meant for a very very LONG day. Rain did not help not to mention a hit deer will take you through the thickest and nastiest bush out there,cedar swamps, ridges, red willow growth, and the the coup de grace, fall back DOWN into the thick junk again. After all that she was a trooper and helped me drag this pig up the last hill to a remote access road that we stumbled upon ( otherwise it was a 2km trek back to truck) She even wants to film our annual doe hunt this year. Still have a couple of weekends to hunt with dad ( have a new piece of private property to hunt and potential looks good).
Glad too see everyone still alive and kicking and if anyone can give me pointers on posting pics....as I have not in two year...somethings screwy lol
Cheers
Reese
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...nting08020.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...eendeer013.jpg

Last edited by sprocket99; 11-11-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: forgot a couple of lines and a pic lol
Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

well it seems I'm once again jinxed by the whitetail deer. I've been out twice (screwed up my knee) and have had some great encounters with some nice bucks, problem is they have all been mule deer the only whitetails decide to show me a flag as they are tearing off. Anyhow, one week & counting till Sask. so I'm pretty excited! Skeeter, is there snow up in that area these days? What's the latest on activity?
Anyhow, here's some pics from the past couple of hunts, again my cousing (the lucky SOB) get's a nice Southern alberta whitetail. Just decides to jump out in front of him as we are walking up a hill to hunt elk. I see nothing but mulies!!
Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-1.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-2.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-3.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-4.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-5.jpg  

Old 11-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

a few more pics of the scenery
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-1.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-2.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-3.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-4.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-5.jpg  

Old 11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not a huge sheep guy but this was taken by the rancher who's place we were hunting at.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-6.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-7.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-8.jpg  
Old 11-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

JD

Great pictures bud,the deer should start to rut by the weekend up here. Scrapes and rubs started a week ago and the bucks still aren't chasing does as most of the does have been in small groups. I had a 170ish one walk by at 8 yards on Saturday morning ,but he was on the wrong side of the tree for me to take the shot. Been seeing some great deer this year and maybe ,just maybe with the little time I've been spending in the tree stand I'll luck out and it'll pay off with one of them. Be safe and hunt safe guys. God Bless.
Rocky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.