Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
2009 Canadian Hunting Posts >

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Way to go JD and Skeet!

Good to see you guys are having some success this year.

Not much to report up here. fall test netting is finally over so I'm in full on rifle hunting mode now. Bow season ended on a low note, i missed a big mulie buck on the last night of the season.

I spent a little time looking for an elk in Sept but all the places I have permission are hunted pretty heavily and the elk are quiet and in nocturnal stealth mode. Doesn't help that I really don't know what i'm doing either

The weather has finally cooled off up here and it is actually starting to look like fall. The deer are moving a bit more so hopefully i'll have some stories to share soon.

good luck guys,

N.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Not much of a story to tell but I managed to get my Alberta whitetail buck last night. Things have been pretty slow up here this year. It's been a warm fall and the deer really weren't moving or hitting the fields like they usually do. All fall, any buck pics I got pictures of on the trail cam weren't showing up until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. Last week the weather turned cold and the deer started moving. We didn't quite get the same amount of snow as some of you guys have further south but the daytime high's haven't broken freezing for a few days now.

With all the warm weather, my usual spots really haven't held much promise. A few small bucks here and there but nothing worth getting excited about. With that, I decided to explore some new country north of town. I ended up finding a nice out of the way area that really didn't get a lot of pressure. The best part was that every farmer I spoke to was more than happy to have as many deer shot on their land as possible. The other night I was out scouting with a buddy and we happened across a hay field that was loaded with deer. It was nearly dark but we saw what looked to be a few buck sized shadows mixed in with all the does. I took yesterday afternoon off with the idea of heading up to talk to the landowner and if permission was granted, stay and hunt the field in the evening. The land owner was agreeable and i made for the field with the plan of parking myself smack in the middle of it so I could watch all edges. The general idea was to scout and observe where the deer were coming from and then go back in the morning to set up my trail cam in a likely place.

As it turned out, the fresh snow had the deer in panic feeding mode and there were 4-5 does in the field when I arrived. They spooked as I walked in but by the time I made it to my chosen bale there was already another group further down. Once they had their fill and moved to the bush I crept about 100yds closer to another bale, giving mysef about a 300 yd shot to the bush north and about the same to the east. I didn't want to get any closer because I wanted to be in a place where I could still move around a bit if something came out further down.

As it happened, I was watching a group of does when I noticed movement along a cutline to the north. With a full hour of light left I watched as a big buck led the parade out of the bush. He marched right out and started feeding while 10-15 more does and smaller bucks poured out behind him. I watched and waited to see if anything bigger was coming before having a good look at the big guy. It didn't take me long to realize that he was a good deer When i saw the split G2 on his left antler i decided he was good enuough for me. I was able to set up prone with my rifle resting on my pack. My first shot felt good but when I finally sorted out which of the white flags was his, he appeared uninjured. The buck stopped at the edge of the bush to look around while a chambered and shot round two. At the shot he bucked and took off into the bush. As luck would have it he made it about 30 yard into the bush befor dying. When i got home i realized that the first shot had been good and the buck was dead on his feet by the time I shot again. I officially love that new Tikka, at 320 yards both of my shots weren't more than 3 inches from where I had aimed.

Not my biggest deer but I do love those october capes. The wife and I are currently in negotiations.... I rough scored him at 159 (gross)and change last night.

Happy thanksgiving guys, good luck to anyone out chasing critters this weekend.

Sask.

Last edited by Saskabush; 10-11-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats, gotta love split G2's. The picture shows a nut brown colour, is it optical or true colour. If so very cool indeed. You do like getting her done early don't cha...lol. Daughter and I may head out this afternoon for awhile, she hasn't decieded if she is up to it after last night at the rider game. We may just go for a drive to the antelope zone to scout, of course I'll have the ML JIC. It's a father/daughter weekend so it's all up to her!!

Nice job Sk..

Same to you & others in regards to thanksgiving!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Skeeter!

The antlers are a little darker than they appear in the pics but still have a really nice even brown colour to them. He's not my biggest deer but if I get him mounted it will be because of how nice the cape and antlers are, he'd make a very nice shoulder mount.

I guess I'm still not used to having 2 1/2 months to hunt with the rifle. I was really looking forward to hunting the rut up here but I just can't pass a deer like that up yet. One of these years I'll be able to do it but i'm not there yet.

I still have a week muzzleloader hunting in Sask at the end of the month and Camp Wainwright so I won't have to wait to long to get back at'er.

Good luck and have fun spending time out there with your daughter. I'm really looking forward to the day when my little Anna will start tagging along with me.

Sask.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

You my friend are starting to make me sickyou make it look so easy...lol
Sask, rub me man!! you have the best luck/skill with deer I've ever seen. Granted you live in a great place, but damn each year you make me drool with envy. Good on ya bud, it's nice to see that grin in between that rack. Get him mounted for sure, he's a character buck (but then again, so was last years, and the year before, and the year before, etc.) Congratulations!!!

I went out for mulie with the bow out to our old spot out east, saw some little guy's and braved high winds & cold temps to come home early. We did get into 1000's of geese on the way home though, we got a nice Canada and some mallards. I shot my first snow goose and was watching him drop & wondering how much a mount would cost, when he decides to turn & coast onto the barely frozen lake. After trying to rig up ropes & hooks to pull him in we had to give up, damn I was mad. I'm battling a bad flu/cold so I'm not sure if anything is in the cards tomorrow but I'll let you know if I get lucky!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Spike

SaskaBush is in getter done mode and it's only October.

Those whitey's don't know you are coming that early I guess. Glad to hear you were able to do those farmers a favor and shoot a deer. I'm sure you'll be happy to poke a few does and bring the farmer a Christmas present.

Way to go man!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

rub me man!!
3 words that should never go together...lol!

Well the little miss agreed to sometime spent hunting, though by her rules. She deceided a sit in blind with a sleeping bag and of course a book was better then driving to the bald prairie to scout goats and possibly mulies like we've done this year. Deer activity and the wind made blind #1 our destination. It was looking like a bust as the first 2 hours produced nothing, however then came a yote which she wouldn't let me poke!! Turned out youngster knew best as the deer started coming out shortly after the yote, first was a threesome of young bucks, followed by a few doe and fawn pairs. As the sun set our first mature buck appeared, the oldman from my #2 blind appeared - apparently he figured the grass was greener a few miles to the south. #2 was a decent 4x4 - that sports nice g2's and 3's good width but lacking mass. I pegged him to be a 135 -140 and probably 4 years old. #3 showed rias the day was coming to an end a sway backed mature buck who had width, beam length and mass. I flipped through the bucks I have seen in this area(6 years worth) and could only think of the ghost from 3 years ago: same spot..could it have been??? If so best years behind him? My daughter whispering "he's huge Dad, are you going to shoot him?" "Dad???Dad???" One last look...he's pretty good, tines are shorter but 6 on 5 with some stickers "Dad...shoot...shoot!!". Shss Sar, as I took aim with the ML and flicked the safety off. Settling the crosshairs on the buck I said "plug your ears Sar, it may be loud!". Fss..sheet not the sound you want to hear with a ML..hold..hold..hold...then Boom!!! Sarah " did you get him dad?" "Doubtful hun but we'll check" A search with flashlights produced nothing a return yesterday am during the daylight showed what happened a bullet hitting the dirt, going under the buck due to the delayed reaction of the ignition. I wasn't thrilled but thankful it was a clean miss. Old faithful just lost a notch..URG!

I think Sarah might be getting this hunting thing..she told mom it was so cool and fun. "Even if daddy missed the big buck! We now get to go out again!!" Wife of course rolls her eyes.....ROFL. So the hunt continues.

SK, you'll love it. Gotta pass it on, even if they don't hunt they should at least see what it is about and deciede for themselves. Sarah has always expressed some interest in the sport. She still isn't sure she wants to shoot her own animal and I will never push her to either. However I have had her shooting gun/bow for over a year and she is wanting to take hunter safety this winter.

All the best.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Bad luck skeet...but at least you made some great memories with your daughter. Sometimes the kill is the least fun part of the trip anyhow. Can't wait till I get to bring my boys with me.
Skeet...if it was that old buck you have been chasing for years, you might have trouble sleeping for the next few nights
Keep the stories coming boys!
I'm off tomorrow for the pheasant opener, should be interesting with 3" of fresh snow on the ground today. Good luck to all!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

You darn right JD the time with Sarah was the trophy.

Not losing any sleep over it, that is hunting. I may be thinking more about it come december but now I have time on my side.

Hope pheasant opener was good!

Next week is antelope, will be hunting weds (if need be sat. & sunday). Hopefully pictures will be forthcoming.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Originally Posted by JD IN ALBERTA
rub me man!!
3 words that should never go together...lol!
No truer words have ever been spoken...

Thanks JD. You're right, I do live in a great area for big whitetails and fortune has favoured me the last few years. Looking back, i've had some incredibly lucky hunts. Remember, the door's open if you can ever find you're way up here.

Thanks Tom, Hope all is well down you're way. How is your hunting season looking so far?

Skeet, tough luck on the big bruiser but good on ya for getting you're girl out hunting. What better hunt that that one to show her what it's really all about. Good luck with the goats, hope to see some pics soon.

I'm going to go check/move my camera tommorow and start getting ready for my muzzleloader trip home to Sask on the 23rd. Talk to you soon guys.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.