Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
2009 Canadian Hunting Posts >

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Old 11-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good stuff fellas!!

Not been a great time for me lately! All raring to head out on the 11th until I awoke with a raging fever just starting to feel right today. Was swabbed and tested for H1N1 but negative, The nastiest flu bug that I can remember. I haven't been out obviously and being darn near a week behind at work likely won't be out till the weekend...possibly!

JD not even close to snow here, 14 today, calling for 12 tomorrow and plus temps for the rest of the week. I am relying on others here but in terms of the reports coming in most say it's very slow. Younger bucks are cruising but the big boys are staying invisible. Rut is close with what I would suspect the baby sitting phase happening now, couple that with warm weather and abundance of food ='s deer movements aren't as apparent as they should be. Within the week it should be ding..ding, if we get some cooler daytime temps it will be cooking.

As far as where your heading had 2 buddies who spent a couple days up that way this weekend, they said the deer aren't all over the fields like usual (in their opinion down from previous years). However they reported success in the bush & with the rattling horns. Gotta work for them right now but they said rut wasn't on in their opinion as of yesterday. That would jive with my experience as they typically ramp up around the 18th. They did say their were lots of guys around though (nothing new, area attracts hunters). Can't see why you shouldn't be in good, might not be an easy hunt (especially if the weather doesn't turn) but hey that's why we do it right?

Safe and good hunting all.

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 11-16-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the update Skeet and glad to hear you are on the mend. You put a little damper on my outlook but hey, it is what it is and we can't control the weather, who knows, things may change drastically in a week. Either way, there are deer and one may get lucky no matter what the weather/rut situation. I was at my buds on the weekend and he showed me some pics of bucks taken there, WOW!!! I'm still looking forward to looking at some new hunting grounds and new experiences with old friends. No pressure this year, I know i'm cursed by the elusive whitetail.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD your right no point worry or dwelling on the variables we can't control, pressure, weather, rut, etc. I know damn well I will not harvest an animal if I stay home so I just play the hand thats dealt and keep on keeping on. A couple weeks ago when saturday was so poor it would have been easy to say forget sunday and stay home...don't think it didn't cross my mind! However you just never know and as it turned out it was an awesome day. I don't measure success based on pulling the trigger or filling the tag but rather getting into their playground to have the chance to possibly fill a tag.

I also don't have "the luck", I just don't happen upon a good buck, seems every one has been through work and more often persistence or outlasting the mind games we all go through. I have resolved myself to the fact that I probably will never be the guy telling the story about driving along and "there he was just staring at me". A friend of mine is that guy, shot a 180 class mulie on friday and missed 2 gooder whitetails on sunday in the war zone (WMZ30). All the same MO, just out for a drive and there he was! Some guys have the luck and other have to make their own..reality can be a b!tch!

Good Luck
Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Yup agreed, sometimes I actually like coming home with nothing so I can sleep, plus the experiences running around in the bush are priceless. But one day I WILL get a good buck, granted it won't be by luck, never was fond of those stories anyhow, just can't choke and have to keep putting time in the field. Once again it goes back to getting Saskabush to rub me for some of his great deer luck...lol
Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JD IN ALBERTA
Yup agreed, sometimes I actually like coming home with nothing so I can sleep, plus the experiences running around in the bush are priceless. But one day I WILL get a good buck, granted it won't be by luck, never was fond of those stories anyhow, just can't choke and have to keep putting time in the field. Once again it goes back to getting Saskabush to rub me for some of his great deer luck...lol
I'll rub you JD (after dinner and a few rums) but I'm not sure it'll help with your deer luck.

I've always fancied myself along the same lines as Skeeter. I've had a good run recently and definately some good luck along the way but alot of that has come from having unselfish friends and alot of time in the field. I have the fuel bills and sore feet to prove it. I think skeeter said it well, what he descibed is pretty much the story of my sask hunt last year. I doubt i'll ever be one of those lucky SOB's that has a booner fall into his lap on opening morning but here's to hoping.

As proof that I don't always get rewarded for the hours I put into it, i just spent a week hunting with an out of province friend and the biggest buck we saw was 140 on the first morning of the hunt. Don't think we weren't mindf*cking ourselves by day four, but as Skeeter mentioned we've both been at it long enough to know that most of the time the deer win.

I'm pulling for ya JD, you've put your time in. After all you've been through, I'd like nothing more than to see a picture of you behind some big cow faced monster with a great big sh*te eating grin on your mug.

I sure hope it cools off for next week. Might have to break out the board shorts and wifebeater if this weather keeps up.

Last edited by Saskabush; 11-18-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Talking

Jd

I was at the lanes shooting last night and a few guys came in with bucks in the beds of there trucks and said their moving and pushing the does. SO I've booked the next 5 days off and will be sitting from sunup till sun down. Best of luck on your Sask hunt Jd and be safe. Supposed to snow Saturday here with a high of +2 and low -9 so hopefully it'll get them up. Tomorrow is supposed to reach +9 with high winds, yuch. Be good fella's.
Rocky
Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

You boy's really need to stop talking about rubbin'....

Personally, always said "I'd rather be lucky then good!" Just not how it works for me !! LOL

How a couple days change everyones perspectives, my cell has been dang near buzzing off my belt today with texts/calls of deer moving & bucks cruising. Guess what it's still warm outside, imagine deer actually do rut in warmer weather...hum who da thunk?? Tongue n' cheek applied. Every year they disappear before the ding...ding of the bell and then magically re-appear or in many cases drop in from nowhere it seems (bucks you've never seen before). Welcome to the rut.... Feast or famine. Be all end all... personally I think not.

If you believe weather reports or weathermen, cooling some now. No more double digit + temps & below freezing at night. So far no white stuff in the forecast.

JD, the area your heading is whitetail heaven; food, safety, deer #'s and quality. Because of this and a 5 week rifle season, hunters are always around (however they tail off once it opens up in the southern zones). The preferred method is cushion riding, which leaves a lot of area untouched. Posted land is common, however I've found permission to be obtainable. Have a great time, look forward to the pics and stories.

Saska, when the irons hot..gotta use the damn thing! Keep on rolling, bud. PS I'll do some indepth scouting for you while your back in AB. Where you hunting again? HAHA

Best of luck Rocky, hope you get another chance to stick one.

Take care and safe hunting/travels.

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 11-18-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

ok buys...this rubbin talk is getting out of hand!! But I'm heading out tomorrow for one last crack at same meat (doe) possibly a buck but doubt it. The weather is pretty hot here too and I'm debating bringing the shorts (as Sask said). Ah well, I'm lookin forward to next week anyhow. I appreciate the updates Skeet.
Sask. not that I'm glad you had a bad week but it does make me see you are not the God I believed you were (kinda). I thought you were headed to Wainright? Anyhow, good luck to those going out this weekend and Rocky, don't fall asleep in the stand
Old 11-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

last post for a while...i'm off to Sask tomorrow!!
Sat was great, didn't get my whitetail (what else is new) but saw alot of rut activity (bucks on does) and most were BIG bruiser bucks, but of course all mulies. Shot our limit on pheasants though but forgot my camera. The day I see all those bucks i forget my camera. Anyhow, we got caught in a blizzard in the morning which ruined our hunt but made for great tracking of birds. Anyhow, I'm packing tonight and hitting the road tomorrow, good luck fellas and skeeter if you are in the area and you see a silver Tacoma with AB plates, flag me down!!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD, safe travels and have a great trip!!! I doubt I'll be in the area, found a "toad" on friday evening. A big 5x frame, clean, even as heck...a real stud! Rut is making his movements unpredictable, hopefully it will tame down some and he'll return a bit to normal. A little luck now would be welcomed..lol! It was a great weekend, deer are rutting hard however weather has them pent up a lot more then usual. I saw 11 wt bucks in 2 days of hunting all where with does or trailing does however only 2 were out in the wide open (both dinks). My 2 workers were out pounding the cushions this weekend for the morning/evenings didn't see much, pushing worked, their party managed to fill a few tags. JD you more then likely will have to go in after them to extend your useful times, pushing up their is likely not an option, just have to still hunt them and I'd be setting up back from the open areas/food sources to extend the chances. I passed up a cool 4x4 with stickers yesterday morning, he was with 2 does the main good food sources are over a 1/4 away and they came back well before sunrise. This was the trend all weekend moving early &/or late but being I was back in a more safe area i did see movement, still not what I'd normally expect but I ain't complaining either. Weather is the culprit in my mind, it suppose to be getting cooler this week and calling for some white stuff too. This week I have a feeling will be very long, work has me screwed till the end of the week...URG. Good luck and can't wait to here the stories.

Did put my hands on a booner buck, unfortunatley he died last year sometime. Some stats; - +27" main beams, 14" G3's, etc - nets 175 .

Later and good hunting all!
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-found-whitetail.jpg  

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 11-23-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.