Ontario Black Bear outfitter question >

Ontario Black Bear outfitter question

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Ontario Black Bear outfitter question

Old 12-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ontario Black Bear outfitter question

Does anyone know if Black Bear outfitters have regions or areas that only they can issue certificates for bear hunters from the U.S.?

I’m trying to get the proper paper work without going through the outfitter we have used in the past. We hunt private property about an hour North of Sault Ste. Marie
Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 PM

Default RE: Ontario Black Bear outfitter question

You'll have to find a new outfitter and hunt in thier area. Being a non-resident, you have to hunt with an outfitter.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: _Dan

You'll have to find a new outfitter and hunt in thier area. Being a non-resident, you have to hunt with an outfitter.
I guess you’re saying that yes only one outfitter per area or region.

Does anyone know how I can find out who has what areas?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Every outfitter in Ontario that participates in a Bear hunt has to have a BMA (Bear Management Area). These are given out by the provincial government, Ministry of Natural Resources. How big and how many are relevant to your bear hunting and management experience and your ability to manage and take care of the areas. The bigger the BMA, the more it cost. But like in the other thread, the guy said, "a hundred thousand acres", I'd have to see that to believe it. The biggest BMA in this province is around 10,000 acres. And that's a one of a kind deal, mainly because nobody else wanted it. And most BMA's are measured in square miles/km, not acres.

BMA's are issued to an outfitter for the sole use of his guests, whether they be resident or non-resident hunters. Although residents can hunt anywhere in Ontario. But if they hunt through an outfitter, they must be on his BMA. Non-residents do not have a choice. They must go through an outfitter for bear or moose.

As far as getting the information as to who has a BMA and where, they are not going to tell you that. That's private, so they say. They won't even tell me. If you have a specific area that you want to hunt, then I would look for outfitters whose camps are in that particular area and run a bear hunt.

For example...my BMA's border 5 other outfitters. In most cases it would depend on which side of the road, river, lake, etc, you want to hunt as to who has that BMA. In other words, if you're hunting with me, I show you the area and your stands, you have to hunt on the right side of the road. You can't hunt on the left side, even if you see a bear over there. But obviously stands are not put right beside the road...it's just an example.

A little more information for you...Some outfitters have had their BMA's limited to the number of bears that can be taken in that BMA because of over kill. You can't hunt the same stands and the same BMA year after year. When an outfitter does, the province steps in and puts limits on them. I have 4 BMA's and I rotate them every year, which results in more and bigger bears. But by the same token, I still bait and manage the ones I'm not hunting. I hope this information has been a help.

DARKSIDE
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: DARKSIDE55

But like in the other thread, the guy said, "a hundred thousand acres", I'd have to see that to believe it.

The biggest BMA in this province is around 10,000 acres.

And most BMA's are measured in square miles/km, not acres.
Darkside is correct in everything he posted on the subjet, except for the above. 10,000 acres would be an extremely small BMA. 15.625 square miles to be exact.

Currently, I have 2 BMAs myself and they encompass 220 square miles or 140,800 acres. Actually, this is not a very large BMA either. I know of people east of me that have a lot bigger operations.

So, if you want to find a new outfitter, its time to do some research and find a new one. Start looking online and in the travel guides.

Good luck and shoot straight!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your help guys. I guess I might be stuck with my original outfitter since the privet land is the only place I’ll be hunting.

A few more questions:

Is the paper work the outfitter gets for non-residents called a ”non-resident certificate”?

Can the outfitter charge any amount for this certificate?

What is the going rate for the certificate?
[ol][/ol]
Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM

No problem man! I know what its like looking for info on other places and sometimes very hard to find.

Its called a Form 33

He's not charging for the Form 33, but for access to his land.

It varies from outfitter to outfitter and what they offer. My hunts are $1950.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Do you mean access to his BMA? We don’t hunt anywhere near his property.

We do everything ourselves on privet land. The only thing we get from him is the paper work that makes us legal. We even drive to his place to get it, three hour round trip.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM

Ahhhh, sorry about the misunderstanding! I guess I should have read into the Private Land a little closer.

In that case, I don't know much about that situation. Best thing to do is call the MNR and ask them.

Sorry about that!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:27 PM
GNO
Spike

You have to have the form from the outfitter if the private land is located within his BMA. Without the form, you would be hunting illegally. If he is willing to just issue the form and let you do everything, it is up to him what price it is worth. The MNR can't tell him what to charge.