HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Other Areas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas-29/)
-   -   KENORA moose hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas/202905-kenora-moose-hunting.html)

99 jeep 08-19-2007 08:16 AM

KENORA moose hunting

Who has and is there lots there as next yr im planning a moose hunt for a party of 3 or 4. Lots of cow tags for 3 and bull tags for 4. Any input?

lakehunter 08-19-2007 12:31 PM

RE: KENORA moose hunting

Hey Jeep. My brother lives in Kenora . last 2yrs the area they have drawn for tags has been a bust. drove over 800 kms and didn't see a one. North of the Trans Canada has all been clear cut , looks like the moon. Moose have moved out. They did see some while out hunting on the Lake, however when they saw the cows, only had a bull tag with them, saw a bull , only had a cow tag with them. That's the way it goes sometimes. Have you ever looked on the Huntontario website forums. Seems to be a lot of moose hunters there, may be able to help you.
If you ever want to consider some Old time hunting for deer out on Lake of the Woods, plse consider my brother and I . www.members.shaw.ca/croutfitters. Good luck hunting, later, >W

99 jeep 08-19-2007 06:54 PM

Eh lakehunter thanks but with the amount of deer i have here no need to go else where for deer but im really gunning for a moose real bad. Ive been looking at maps and so far thinking of 16b on the border of 4 right down 599hwy but still in the plans works etc just need more info right now 3 hunters for a cow 4 for a bull so i got the people and equipment need the areas ive been looking at old cuts and new ones and so far things look good but still looking for info. If worse comes to worse ill head to Quebec for a BOO but like i say still looking.....

1throughthelung 08-20-2007 05:22 PM

well, i've been hunting near by Kenora for many years. I actually hunt Graham/Ignace 15a/b. Many many moose up there. take em' deep into the bush! road hunts and all that crap are useless as the animals are very alert after a high number of bow hunters hunt it early in the season. hunt the shallows and take em deep! there are many moose, guaranteed to see cow/calf combos if you are willing to move in and wait all day. most productive time for my group up there is between 11am and 3pm.

KonaBoy 08-20-2007 07:40 PM

I know that there are a few people from Kenora on this site that could probably help you out a lot, bunch of good people there.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_Hunting_Forum/index.php

GNO 08-31-2007 06:56 AM

Look for hunts in WMU 4 north of Souik Lookout, Ont. has some of the best moose densities in the area. Alot of the other area in NW Ont have fewer moose, but the trophy qulity seems to be better. Just need to research the outfitters close and ask about natives hunting the area you are looking at going. That can be the downfall to your hunt.

TrophyTracker 09-03-2007 09:20 AM

Hey Jeep like GNO said, you should be in pretty good shape in MU 3 and 4 which are the Red Lake and Sioux lookout area, thereareless deer andmore Moose. If youare going early in the season, hunt the lakes and rivers or areas that act like funnels to and from them. IF you are bow hunting, you will hit the prime rut, or if you will hunt during the beginning of rifle season youshould catch the end of the rut. Either way the Bulls shouldreact to calls depending on the year and weather. If you plan on hunting towards the end of the gun season(more snow) we tend to have more success in the older cuts (5-10 years) regeneration. Its sometimes hard to hunt them in these older cuts because they are so grown up, but they are there. Also that area up northhas a pretty good logging road network which allows to get pretty deep into the back country. However finding a good up to date map showing these roads is almost impossible, because the MNR doesn't keep them updated anymore. There are maps, but they are generated by the logging companies and getting one can be difficult if not impossible, unless you know somebody. Also if you go early in the season Sept- Oct don't forget your fishing rod for those occasional warm afternoons that can sometimes be too warm to hunt, the Walleye fishing up that way is excellent, especially in the fall. Hope this helps, good luck!

99 jeep 09-08-2007 01:19 PM

Well thanks all it will be a year to this date that i will be leaving with a buddy of mine and i cant wait but now on a daily basis what would you see more of cows or bullls as there seems to be alot of both cow and bull tags with little gangs and i mean as little as 3 to a gang thats small.