2008 Canadian Whitetails >

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Old 03-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2007 Canadian Whitetails

Early In
Here it is bud ,guy that started it runs Wild TV too: http..forum.bowzone.ca-register lots of info in here too and best of all if you need to know anything about Alberta or Saskatchewan, theirs tons of info for you and you can check on the guiding outfits too. Let me know what you think of the site. I'm youngfart on their too.I find that week and the next one that runs into December the best for roaming bucks and it's the bigger guys who do most of the running then as they are the boss .I've shot my best 2 big bucks then. Good luck and keep in touch.
Rocky[8D]
Old 03-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rocky, I became a member on BOWZONE.CA. I'm looking forward to this.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:02 AM

Went to the gun show in Calgary yesterday to have a boo. Tons of tables but really not alot of quality stuff or even any good deals as far as I was concerned. If you were looking for a scope there were some good buys but rifles and ammo were quite over priced. Something like 700 tables but i would venture to say 650 of them were antique, army artifacts, badges books, and overall things that did not really interest me. I saw a few nice 22-250's but a bit out of my price range as well as a nice semi stouger shotgun 3inch but a little pressed for cash at the moment. I bought an 08 tundra last week from kalispell montana so that broke me.Got lucky and had the money transfered just before the dollar dipped. I cannot get down to pick it up until may as I am in my final student teaching placement at kelvington, sk till may 2nd. Nicelookin unitand got it a heck of alot cheaper down there. I will post up some pics once i get my baby home. Other than that tryin to get in some fishin next week for the last season but will be pretty busy with school stuff. A physed job came up in my hometown which is my dream job, applications close wed so keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Dan

Congratulations on the Tundra bud, sounds nice, best of luck on the Teaching job in your home town. Let us know how you made out at the interview.
Rocky
Old 03-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dan good to hear from you bud. Best of luck on getting the job.Congrats on the new truck!!!

Have you heard any of the rumors floating around about the archery season next year??? If true Archery hunters will be p'd at SERM. They are talking about trimming back the archery only seasons by a fair margin, stated reason not effective management tool!! Numbers i have heard are deer to be reduce by 11 days (no specifics), moose archery to be shared with draw ML Mooseand here's the biggie archery elkreduce to as low as3 days!!! Ihave heard SERM is looking at adding a ML general ELK season in our zones. This one has been mulled around before and never came to pass soI highly doubt it but who knows. I also heard they were thinking about seperate whitetail tags for each weapon class ie: archery only tag, ML only tag and rifle only tag vs a general tag. Again just rumors at this point but apparently the talk at wildlife advisory board meetings this year.

I also justheard this weekSERMissupposedlythinking aboutan earn a tag program around s'toon due to the high amount ofwildlife damage claims and SGI wildlife claims. How the programis towork: buy2 anterless tags (either species: wt or mule) and upon turning over the 2 heads/seal get a either sex tag good for either a whitetail or mulie. Supposedly if a hunter is denied access to posted land in these target zones that landowner will not be eligible to claim wildlife damages next year.... The zones in question/mentioned are south of the city (22 &30 - including the Camp Dundurn).

Quite therumor mill going on this year. The 08 regs should be posted within the next month on the SERM site for the draw..so we'll have to wait and see.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

hiawatha-- Good luck on getting your dream job.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Thanks guys..... As for archery elk not a managment tool i don't know about that. Quite a few elk are taken with bow in my area and our crew averages 85% each year. If they want the numbers down on elk leave archery alone and keep that second week of either sex open for a few more years or better yet have a cows only week. Deer numbers are way down at home and moose are coming back but still not where they need to be in my opinon. Like you say skeeter i doubt if this would happen but it does chap my ass to some extent. I am putting in for elk and moose in the parkthis year so will see what happens. Maybe i won't even be archery elk hunting if i get drawn.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan, you get down here in NW montana give me a call and pay me a visit here outside near eureka in the kootnai national forest. I been going back and forth from alberta, but PM me and I'll shoot ya my cell #.
I want to get a Tundra also and trade the 99 dodge ram in but it runs good and its paid for so I'll just keep looking. Take care.

Bobby
Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hia, SERM is looking at archery as whole interms of harvest numbers. If this were to happen they can't scale back one area they must do it as a whole - parity in an odd sort of way. Reality is archery accounts to far less in terms of harvestes each fall. Sopurely a number game the way i see it.SERM has made a lot of mistakes in recent years as we have talked about in the past, it appears their strings are pulledby other stakeholders who hold more weight then US(hunters)[].

I agree 100% with you. Lets hope this doesn't become reality and just a bad rumor. I am all for changes to the elk season, I think the spikers should be safe in regular rifle and a different strategy should be adopted for the either or cows. I thought maybe a 1 week season but that would be even more mayhem, so what about a 4 day 2 week either season. In our area by the end of weds the hunters numbers dwindle and traffic slows way down, by friday the elk start re-show themselves. So a few day cool down may not be a bad thing and it might just meet objectives better??? I also wonder about having a ML season for cows or either. Current season deck is short stacked as it is, so it would have to be later like in October but just might be a way toget more hunters in the field. Iefarmers who are busy trying to get their crops off in aug-sept. I mean if the numbers were being met the cow draw could potentially be sacled back or even dropped until such time the herd and numbers are in check. Just a few ideas we have kicked around the kitchen table over a bottle of barley or 6. Moose as well, the early moose season in thelower forest zones should never happen. Way to much pressure on bulls and to easy to kill trolls (young bulls in post rut). Not fair for those who pay to be in the draw system or archery hunters either, IMHO. At least the idiots haven't brought back the calf season!

PSre: sunday hunting is in the pipe as well (passed with over 70%).Said crown land to be allowed first. Won't that be messy? PFRA's and Wildlife lands are listed as crown however as you well know they are bordered by private. I say either do it or drop it, not half ass it.... the SPERM way![&o]

Any way good to see you around these parts and best of luck in your endeavours.

BTWI have the gun itch as well, have a couple scopes that need homes. A new ML (savage maybe on the block I did some work to it this winter and have been offered afew pennies to release it)I just might then buy a TCand put the resttowards another CF. Have a couple LH irons I have been considering; a couple fo brownings- .270wsm, 325wsm and 338wm. Also liking the sounds of owning a .375 Ruger. Have an offer in on a rem 700 2506AI LH as well, though owner is out to lunchon his price so doubtful we can come to terms on this one.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats Hia! welcome to the club. I sure you'll love the Tundra. I actually found out the other day that we're going to be replacing our fleet vehicles at work with Toyotas. We should be getting a Tundra or two in time for the summer.

Skeet, interesting news from SERM indeed. I'd heard they were thinking about an "earn a buck" system. It'll be interesting to hear more on that and the sunday hunting for sure. X2 on them half -ass*ng it. What's the snow like in them there parts? I heard you got some more today?

Rocky, I'll send you that pm tommorow. I haven't forgot.

After 6 outtings without a shed i finally found a little field that hadn't been completely stripped by the snowmobilers. The melt has been happening at a snail's pace this year so any spots worth checking were picked over weeks ago and won't produce much until we lose a foot or so of snow. I decided to walk off some easter turkey today and was pleasantly suprised when my wife asked to come with me. We got to a field of bales that I had glassed a few times and started picking our way towards the ones that had been damaged by the local mulies. We hadn't gone too far when I spotted a tine sticking out of a haypile that was once a bale. As we got closer I backed off a yards to get some pictures (forgot to take the telephoto off the camera before we left ops: )

as I knelt down in the hay to snap the picture above I d*mn near skewered myself with the match.

while I whined about nearly impaling myself, my wife kicked up her first shed ever from the hay about three feet away.

Here's the matched set.

In the end, it was a great afternoon. The dog and I each found one more for a total of 5 between the three of us.

Quick Reply: 2008 Canadian Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.