2008 Canadian Whitetails >

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2007 Canadian Whitetails

Congrats Saskabush. Nice moose, pics and story. Sounds like your friends spot is something,seeing that many moose in one area is more then many see here in years.. keep him on your good side. Lots of meat this year.

Not sure if you have heard or if you followedthe serm link about the CWD man. plan for 07'. In any regard WMZ 29 is slated in the provinicial herd reduction plans. Opens up for slaughter, after the mulie draw season closes or first week of rifle wt. 2 Deer tags one must be anterless, the other is 3 point or smaller, return these heads and receive an either sex tag...no charge.Hunters can get 2 of the special either sex tags per season. A number of landowners are against this plan and thus not allowing access to land. I am sure this will only put more pressure on the pasture's!!! It is my hope the sportsman in this province don't fall into the greed trap placed in front ofthem and choose wisely/play by the rules if they deciede to take part in this program. Personally think they should have done it through licensing vs a free for all, sask landing is evidence to the flaw this type of program can envoke[]! Any way I know you come back to toontown to hunt and 29 is your mainstay, just an FYI.

Planning to get after some deer monday, opening day smokepole season, partner has a mulie draw tag plus we both have a couple mulie ears tags to fill.I am planning to be a video manthough will be packing heat and arrows with my mulie archery tag still left unfilled.

I have set up a couple blinds in the SMZso farand plan to get out this weekendto place at least 2 more.

Full speed ahead for deer.

Best of luck to all and safe hunting.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I should be ok for meat this year. I don't think anythig could have prepared me for the size of that critter. i guess whitetail season will be strictly a trophy hunt this year

That place was straight out of one of those Jim Shockey "Land of the Giants" videos, there were moose everywhere. From what he tells me very few people make the trip that far back into those swamp. The realy interesting thing is moose numbers are way dawn this year. Ticks and snow really knocked the #'s back last winter. We came across 3 winterkill skeletons on the way in. I hope I get to see that spot on a good year

Yeah Skeeter, I had heard that. It's pretty frustrating to see the best hunting areas of my youth, the places where i learned to hunt devastated by CWD or more specifically SERM's half assed attemt to control it. First 14 now 29, SERM needs to sh*t or get off the pot. They either need to drastically increase the funding to have enforcement and bio's run a proper eradication (helicopters and military sharpshooters and such) or admit defeat and focus on controlloing the spread beyond saskatchewan's borders. Alberta throws 20x the money at their CWD controls and still can't stop the spread. I personnally feel they should admit defeat and get back to managing herds and living with CWD as part of the landscape. Educate the people of the signs/symptoms and continue voluntary testing and monitoring the spread. Some good may still come of the data that could be collected. If anything, the lesson should be that better overall herd management and better more up to date aerial surveys might help control the spread of future disease outbreaks by allowing Bios to maintain more balanced densities and stronger, healthier herds. Just my $.02

I'm not going to make it back to hunt 29 this year and from the sounds of it I'm not sure I want to. My only hope is that from personal experience the majority of CWD hunters are road warriors anyway. the pastures might present enough of a challenge that the deer will persist, if not in the quality or quantity you and I are used too.

Good luck with the smoke pole.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Saska...amen brother!!! The guys I hang with feel the same way. While we are concerned about CWD we can't help but wonder what such actions will mean for the future??? I'd hate to have to tell "good ole days" stories. Here's hoping that never comes about.

They are beasts! So are you hooked? I luv the moose, on the hoof and theplate too![8D]

Thanks and best of luck to you as well.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Absolutely I'm hooked! Watching that big bugger come in grunting and thrashing was too much. Calling season tags in that zone are every 2nd year so my partner will get his next year. We're already planning next years hunt. He was as excited as I was since he's never shot anything that size either. The guys he's taken back there in the past have all shot little bulls for the meat and he doesn't get to much time to hunt for himself with work being as busy as it is. I think next year he'll hold out for a real monster with his tag. i keep reminding myself that we only hunted there for 3hrs on a warm windy evening. If a guy could get in there for a week of morning hunts we might be able to floor a monster.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:38 AM

Nice Moose Saskabush! I have been out twice already this year but no luck. Was doing some upland hunting yesterday and stumbled upon a nice size bull bedded down about 45 yards away. Of course the bow was back at home. Planning to hunt him as much as I can after work this week.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go Sask!! Haven't heard much from you on the boards as of late so I figured you were finding a new monster whitetail...obviously it was moose you were going for. You definately have had some good hunting trips in the past couple of years, congrats!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Opening day ML was a bust as I had something come up at work and bailed on hunting.Hoping to get this weekend at some point though.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter...where are your priorities???
Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JD IN ALBERTA

Skeeter...where are your priorities???
LOL[8D]

Happy Turkey weekend to all and if you make it out best of luck!

My original plan was mulies, birds in between and finish off the day in the blind for whitetails. Weather report isn't looking to great here calling for rain on both saturday and monday but I'll be going at least one of those days. If it means just sitting in ablind...so be it!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Right back at ya Skeeter...did you say birds??Wow I thought you were the big game type only. LOL Good luck to ya! I'm heading out for Mulies Sat & Monday so here's to hoping I get a chance at a shooter.

Quick Reply: 2008 Canadian Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.