Old 09-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2007 Canadian Whitetails

Thanks Rocky.

Nice pics once again JD.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure what kind of snake it was but there aresigns on the side of the road saying watch out for rattlers on the road. May have been a young one because it had no rattler. Young, when do antelope go into rut? He was hanging around the doe pretty tight. Skeeter, sorry to hear about the bad news, always sucks when something like that happens. Hope all is well with the wifes family.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Typical Buck

JD

Well we were finding as the week went on while hunting them they were getting further into the rut. It was the 12th that we found them rounding their doe's up and chasing the other bucks for minutes at a time. Actually the buck I got had been horned in the right rear thigh with a hole from a bucks Horn.We actually got to view this a few times,you could actually see the dust rising from them chasing one another in the dust. If you see this happening set up quick and he'll be at your door step pronto[&:].It took 3 days to figure out how to stalk and get up cose,but once we new howit was a breeze[:-]. The only way we figure you can get one on your own is by being in a blind by water, and I tried this for 7 hours and then the wind changed when thy were with in 50 yards of having their last drink[:@]. There a blast once you have a game plan and your willing to change and do a reversingroleeach time so your partner is not left out of the game. If buying a decoy,get the solid type compared to the Montana cloth type. The desert type of ground makes for really hard ground to stick the decoy into.[:'(]How we did it was one guy would carry the decoy and range finder as the other carried the bow and stayed directly behind the carrier. Once into position the decoy holder would rangethe buck and give the distance to the shooter while he draws for the shot. Once ready, the shooter says ready and the decoy carrier moves the target to the side so that the shot can be made.[8D]Teamwork isa must, hope this helps JD and the rut usally starts around the 2nd week of September.
Rocky[>:]
Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Photos JD..

Hia checked in lately guys?

Good luck to all you guys hunting this fall..

Troy
Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Troy
Haven't seen him since he left for your place, glad to see you got him into the elk and showed him a great time,hope he made it back safely. I also read your articale on your hunt with him,you need to put less pressure on yourself bud,you did what needed to be done,and that was get him into the elk. The thrill of the hunt is what it's all about and also the comradrieship,which I know the 2 of you had.Good luck on your whitetail's this year and say Hi to Dee from Edith and I and the kids too.
Rocky
Old 09-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Rocky... it just sucked we got so close but never did put it together.. elk elk and more elk daily..lots of hiking, calling etc.. all public ground pretty much but still had no problem finding a herd...

Tell Edith hi for me, good luck to you as well this whitetail season..

Troy
Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Fork Horn

Hey all,

just checkin by and taking apeek around. nice to see some of those pictures! them prairie bucks always make me dream!

Just been out a bit here in BC, passed some smaller mulies and whitetail so far.

no sheep on the hunt! was incredibly grueling, passed up lots of goats/caribou/moose to concentrate and ended up only seeing one stone ram.

It was a greeat time, but quite literally probably the hardest hunt ive ever done!

best of luck out there!

cheers
Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, Nice to see you've all been out and about. Great pics JD! Congrats on the early hunts Skeeter and YF. I've been pretty busy with work up until this week. Now that things have slowed down a bit i 've been able to get out chasing critters.

It took three days and some help from a friend but I got my first moose last night. As it turns out I'm now further indepted to the buddy who set me up on my whitetail last fall.

After a couple of warm windy days of trying on my own with only limited success, I was able to experience moose hunting at it's best. My hunting partner was able to somehow weasel himself out of his hectic work schedule on wednesday with the intent of showing me his "top secret" moose hunting swamp. Needless to say after hearing about this place for two years i was pretty pumped to finally see the "promised land" with a tag in my pocket.

After a 1 hour 8mile quad ride back into the bowels of a major wetland we arrived in what can only be described as moose heaven. The area was made up of 2-3 miles of waist high willows, alder runs oxbows and two rivers that gradually wind their way together. Within minutes we jumped up a medium sized bull who stood broadside and offered a very tempting 100yd shot. Having promised myself i would hold out for 40inches or better on my first moose, I reluctantly let him go only to start second guessing myself almost immediately.

Several hundred yards further we ran into another smaller bull and shortly after that a cow/calf pair. We set up and tried calling for an hour or so with no luck, the wind likely didn't help much as it was gusting pretty heavily all evening.

With darkness falling and 1/2 hour of legal light left we slowly made our way back out hoping to catch some evening movement on the way. We rounded the last corner into the last big opening with about 15 minutres of light left and immediately spotted a bull standing in the willow 300yds away. we quickly closed the distance on foot only to see two more bulls and a cow appear out of the willows and mill around each other. While we hummed and hawed over shooting the biggest of the three bulls I noticed some willows taking an aweful thrashing about 100yds behind the four moose. Right obout the time I lowered my binos to ask Mat if he could see what it was i heard him say "holy **** that ones a shooter!" We then watched as the new bigger bull walked in antlers waving and chased all three bulls of with the offer of a supreme a** kicking. After chasing the rivals away he ran the cow right at us until they were both about 100yds. Not long after that he turned broadside and the lead started flying He only went a few yards as i hit him on all three shots. The result, a big smile on my face and a long hard drag back out of the swamp

Hope everyone else is having a great season so far. Good luck in all your adventures guys.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

HEY SASKABUSH

Congrats on your 1st bull moose, nice pictures too,and here's hoping you can't surpass last year's whitetail.
Rocky
Old 09-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Saska
That's supposed to read can , lMAO

Quick Reply: 2008 Canadian Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.