2008 Canadian Whitetails >

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2007 Canadian Whitetails

I'm off tonight after work bow in hand Can't wait! Also heading out tomorrow to our stomping grounds to see if we can't find a decent mulie to skewer. Pics will be up if successful...or notGood luck boys!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Good Luck JD!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Dan. I am officially getting excited, one week and lets see about 10 hours I should be in elk camp!!!! With the honey do list I have tacked to thegun room doorthe time will most certainly fly...though she did offer up a nice suprise by giving me a ebay purchase she received today, Montana cow elk decoy! Sometimes I wonder what the aliens are doing with my wife but hey I'll TAKE IT[8D]. Won't see a lot of duty being rifle season but will come in handy with the pointy sticks in the future. Hia...have decoy will travel.....! Wish you the best in IdAhO. Try and get some pics up before next season though...Shed you take them and post them for the intern would ya!

JD, hope you stick one. Look forward to seeing your pics.

Saskabush, when you get out...best of luck. Keep us posted.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:38 PM

Good luck Jd on your hunt, same to everyone else who is just about gettin out there. Skeeter- The 2 fellas i hunt with have one of them decoys she goes by Bertha. We have tried it a bit with mixed results. It seems as though the like to remain at least 30 yards from the girl so a guy has to give some thought as to where you set it up. The guys have set it up to take calves off of cows they have killed earlier in the week which is like shooting fish in a barrell. That decoy and a couple of cow calls the calves come running. "ma is that u?" WHACK i feel for the little devils. As for the pics well ya i am thinkin of making the jump to digital. I had my computer cleaned out and my scanner software is at home so not even able to scan what pics i do have here. I am thinkin of stopping in minot on my way down thursday and pickin up a canon slr. Thats what my elk huntin buds both have and they are awesome. Goin to buy a camera i might as well buy a good one. Been shooting the bow tons, in mint shape after riggin all summer now ready to climb, crawl, and pack out that big ol idaho bull.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah them split off calves are pretty easy to lure, we have done it with no decoy just cow talk. Last year Rick and I played with a calf one evening, we were a 200 hundred yards apart and she looked like a yo-yo running back and forth between us - mewing the entire time. We both had her within feet of us. We finally got bored and stopped calling so she retreated, though everytime we bugled or cow called she'd reapper and do the yo-yo trick again. She stayed until we left, so momma either met her dimize or she/he was left behind. Fun though, our real decoy never panned out that night as she was only animal with a brown mane!

I have heard they tend to shy as the close the distance due to the depth of perception is better, I guess they have never seen a 1/4" thick elk before. I actually think I'll employ her next week in a couple of secluded/us only spots just to see how they may react, with the rifle hanging up at 30 yards just isn't a problem! Useful or not the fact the wife bought me something for huntingI'll always have to say its the cats meow[8D]!

Best of luck and look forward to the details. BTW [:'(]...lucky bugger hunting elk twice in one year.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Wish I had some pics boy's but somehow I managed to miss a decent non-typ in velvet[:@]I'm playing the scenario over & over in my mind and I swore I made a good shot only tofind my arrowclean. I was dejected to say the least and called it early on Sat. Weather wasn't great either, the only good thing that came out of it was seeing a bigger brute that I wasn't able to gt a shot at. Ah well I guess that's why they call it hunting!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Chin up jd. [8D]

Here are the pics from our annual elk hunt. It was another fun year but once again come to an end.

Yogi making his way across the creek crossing.

Spiker checkin out one of our stands.

Les, Me in middle and rob (right) with the boys spikes taken opening evening.

My monster.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD that sucks...I feel your pain. Bright side you saw a brute and still have a tag in which to place on him....so head up and give him nails!!!

Hia,pic of the spike looking in the stand is awesome!!! The pic of the bull officially put me over the top on the stoked scale...why they get in your blood and stay. That the chucker???

Fines eats and once again congrats on yet another elk season with the sharp sticks. Hope everything works out for your trip south.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM

That bull actually i never did see. Les had him come by opening night to his stand on the wheat. Les seen him coming over the hill and started taking photos of him as he worked his way toward the crossing. He was at 45 yards but les did not shoot thinking he was going to use the same crossing that bear went down which i would have done the same. Then the bull decided to walk back up the hill and south then jump the creek lol. Dammed if you do dammed if you don't. He was a nice bull and gave some beaut pics but the big boy was a stud compared to him unfortunatley no photos are available of him.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

2 more sleeps... Lord willing I'll have some tales and pics to share in just over a week.

Good luck to all in your adventures.

Quick Reply: 2008 Canadian Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.