Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Kenora Onterio Big Buck hunt >

Kenora Onterio Big Buck hunt

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Kenora Onterio Big Buck hunt

Old 01-01-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Kenora Onterio Big Buck hunt

A friend of mine and myself planned a Big buck whitetail hunt early last year (10-28-06 to 11-5-06)to Kenora Onterio .
He went the year before with 3 other guys , had a little luck with an outfitter but went early (mid October) and there was very little deer movement or sightings because of warm weather.
So we planned a trip the next year (2006) with out an outfitter .
We hunted a couple different places.
One was a clearcut a couple years old near a small lake and the other was a power line and clear cut a little older near the Manatoba boarderline.
We hunted with ground blinds and by foot dark till dark .
I seen a few does a couple days and he seen a few does a a small 3 pointer a few times .
It was in the low 20,s at night and 30,s during the day , and snow.
We have more than 20 years experience with deer hunting so were not new to the sport .
We ended our hunt by shooting a 6 and 7 pointer on the last day.
We seen tons of deer near the town , but when you got 20 miles or so out of town the deer ans deer sine were scarce.
We really thought we went at the prime time of the season and we were in a great spot to get a couple nice racked , 200 plus pound deer .
Where were the big bucks ????
What happend to the rut ??
We never seen a buck chase a doe when we went.
Anyone else go to Kenora and come home empty handed or with a smaller buck than expected ? []
Old 01-01-2007, 12:57 AM

Default RE: Kenora Onterio Big Buck hunt

ORIGINAL: 4TRACKS

We ended our hunt by shooting a 6 and 7 pointer on the last day.
We seen tons of deer near the town , but when you got 20 miles or so out of town the deer ans deer sine were scarce.
Where were the big bucks ????
What happend to the rut ??
STAY HOME!

People like you make me SICK.. You just had to shoot a deer and fill a tag..... You went on a TROPHY hunt and decided you better shoot a deer and fill your ego along with your tag. Do you realize that those deer will never grow to be what you wanted when you went up there? Do everyone a favor and stay home next time. Or else be a bigger man and go home with an empty tag.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

First of all those dates you hunted aren't in the peak of the rut. Those are early rut dates. I agree with Dan, you shouldn't settle for somethingso small because you didn't see a monster. Try Alberta next time.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Probably not going to get a lot of sympathy. Dan says it like most of us feel it. I feel the same way about here and canadian residents coming on the free for all season, sorry but have seen my share of idiots that expect big bucks around every tree and then shoot whatever just to fill their 100 dollar tags. The ones that come year after year put forth the effort and don't just fill tags are a different story but I still would like to see a limitation put in place...different debate sorry.

The fact you deceided you can by pass an outfitter turns some off as well. I guess you now know why an outfitter "area knowledge", is worth something.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 PM

we went non guided for two weeks. OCT 27 to Nov 12th. The deer were not chasing does either.

Kenora is Big woods. you need two weeks IMO
are three deer went 228, 201, 198 pounds

the Deer are there

the year before four of us only shot one deer and we hunted hard
Old 01-01-2007, 06:47 PM

the little buck you pass today is the big buck you shoot tomorrow.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:02 PM

DAN ,, DO YOU ALWAYS COME OFF LIKE AN A$$ ,
Must be your nature .
As far as staying home , this is a FREE Country GET USE TO IT !!
If you have a problem with other sportsmen ( although you wouldn,t fit the bill ) shooting a deer in Canada express yourself to them all . Dont take your babyish tantrum out on me .
We hunted hard dusk till dawn to say the least .
We Worked and saved for quite a while to go 1300 miles from home to try to take a big Canadian buck .
We didn,t ride around in a truck like a lot of the outfitters and locals do to shoot a deer from the window .
We spent our $$$ on a hotel ,we didn,t stay in a camper on the side of the road, We also ate at the towns dinners and bought there fuel , etc,etc.,
Yes we spent over $1500. Canadian . each .
Yes we shot smaller than expected deer , but we earned them .
This was my first BIG Deer hunting trip out of state ever .
I no how you guys that live there feel abought being bombarded with hunters from all over the place . We get the same during our doe tag season .
I did not get myself to excited abought shooting a record buck ,I new it was a good chance to be disapointed .
I shot a 7 pointer 168 lbs. with a nice rack .
Though not a monster he was a trophy to me .
He is mounted on my wall so I can remember the goood time I had on my once in a life time trip .
As far as I can see Kenora was once the Big Buck Prime spot to hunt .
Now the numbers are way down and Drydens the hot spot .
Hope I didn,t offend any Canadian Sportsman .

Old 01-02-2007, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: 4TRACKS

DAN ,, DO YOU ALWAYS COME OFF LIKE AN A$$ ,
Must be your nature .
As far as staying home , this is a FREE Country GET USE TO IT !!
If you have a problem with other sportsmen ( although you wouldn,t fit the bill ) shooting a deer in Canada express yourself to them all . Dont take your babyish tantrum out on me .
We hunted hard dusk till dawn to say the least .
We Worked and saved for quite a while to go 1300 miles from home to try to take a big Canadian buck .
We didn,t ride around in a truck like a lot of the outfitters and locals do to shoot a deer from the window .
We spent our $$$ on a hotel ,we didn,t stay in a camper on the side of the road, We also ate at the towns dinners and bought there fuel , etc,etc.,
Yes we spent over $1500. Canadian . each .
Yes we shot smaller than expected deer , but we earned them .
This was my first BIG Deer hunting trip out of state ever .
I no how you guys that live there feel abought being bombarded with hunters from all over the place . We get the same during our doe tag season .
I did not get myself to excited abought shooting a record buck ,I new it was a good chance to be disapointed .
I shot a 7 pointer 168 lbs. with a nice rack .
Though not a monster he was a trophy to me .
He is mounted on my wall so I can remember the goood time I had on my once in a life time trip .
As far as I can see Kenora was once the Big Buck Prime spot to hunt .
Now the numbers are way down and Drydens the hot spot .
Hope I didn,t offend any Canadian Sportsman .

Yes, its my nature.

What did you do to help contribute to the people who live off of the outdoors? Nothing.
You shot a small buck, just to shoot a deer. Then you say that the area used to be the hotspot. Maybe it "used to be" because of people like you that kill a little one just to fill your ego.

A 168lb deer is a very young deer for that area. 2.5 yrs old max, maybe even 1.5.

You hope you didn't offend any Canadian Sportsmen? Hmmmmm you said they road hunt and shoot from their windows. I find that pretty offensive. You obviously have zero clue as to what goes on up there.

You accuse me of not being a sportsman? I find that extremely laughable. I saw over 150 bucks last year and shot a 153" 9pt. I probably 15 bucks bigger than him. I have zero problem eating tag soup, you on the other hand......

Where exactly are you from? Must be Vermont, Maine or Michigan. The area has become flooded with your type that think its going to be an easy hunt and are disappointed to find out that their not the great hunter they thought the were. Hence the reason to shoot a small one and prove to themself what they are not. I know of a particular area where a bunch of "Benoit wannabes" practically wiped a 3 sq mile area of bucks. They killed 47 there, most of which were 1.5-2.5yrs old. Sickening.[:'(]

Here's a word of advice, so you and others like you don't ruin it for everyone.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!

"Babyish tantrum over."
Old 01-02-2007, 06:13 PM

You disgusting! You should be happy that you get to go on a hunt! Many people never hunt out of the home province/state![:@]
Old 01-02-2007, 07:45 PM

I did enjoy myself on my Kenora hunt .
Met some very nice respectable people .
Very glad I never had the chance to meet YOU DAN in person .
Talked with guides , outfitters and others .
They all seamed nice .
You must be the BLACK SHEEP OF ONTERIO ..!!!!!
Aparently you are blind if you cant see what is going on in your back yard ???
NO I,m not from any of the fine States you puy down .And that you offended.

The Benoits seam to be very poular , I appaligize to you from them . Aparently they are the reason Kenora has no BIG BUCKS left .

Yes I hope your BABYISH tantrum is over .[&o][&o]
Sounds to me your just mad that other sportsmen are gettting your future Bucks !!![8D][8D][8D]

Quick Reply: Kenora Onterio Big Buck hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.