Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 12-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Mallard:

Although I have never hunted in Ontario, the only real difference here is we have a lil more of a variety of game than the rest of the provinces. The climate ranges from low to mid 30s (celcius) in the summer/early fall, right down to -30 celcius during the last several weeks of hunting season ( actually we usually hover around 0, but this year was unusually chilly).

Whitetail, Mule, Moose, Elk, Goat, Stone's Sheep, California Bighorn Sheep, Rocky Mountain Sheep, Dall sheep, Black Bear, Wolf, Cougar, Grizzly... those are all on the menu every year, both basically open seasons on everything, depending upon where you hunt in the province. There are probably a cuple species I missed as well.

If you looking for a real trophy, just like anywhere else, you have to hunt hard and long.

As for ducks, well i am not a wing shooter, but I believe we have an abundance of species along those lines as well.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: agaucher

Mallard:

Although I have never hunted in Ontario, the only real difference here is we have a lil more of a variety of game than the rest of the provinces. The climate ranges from low to mid 30s (celcius) in the summer/early fall, right down to -30 celcius during the last several weeks of hunting season ( actually we usually hover around 0, but this year was unusually chilly).

Whitetail, Mule, Moose, Elk, Goat, Stone's Sheep, California Bighorn Sheep, Rocky Mountain Sheep, Dall sheep, Black Bear, Wolf, Cougar, Grizzly... those are all on the menu every year, both basically open seasons on everything, depending upon where you hunt in the province. There are probably a cuple species I missed as well.

If you looking for a real trophy, just like anywhere else, you have to hunt hard and long.

As for ducks, well i am not a wing shooter, but I believe we have an abundance of species along those lines as well.
thanks what would be good rifle calibres?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mallard upto griz the .284 & .308 cals are very popular in the west due to bullet offerings, flat shooting, SD and down range energy. Cartridges: 280 rem, 7mm rem mag, 7mm STW, 7mm RUM, etc for the .284 class. .308 cal cartridges: 308win, 3006, 300's (WM, WSM,Wby& RUM). To a lesser extend the .277 cal in 270 win, wby and WSM are also used upto moose sized game.

For grizzly I'd personally feel more comfortable in the .338-.375 cal range.

For deer,sheep, etc.257-.308 are used
Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Saskabush yeah something just ain't right up your way. Farmers must be using lots ofgentically modified seedsthat as result isproducing thesemorfed deer! Crappy problem to have sure don't envy you fella's!

Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Talked to my neighbour he went out yesterday and "GONG SHOW". I won't bore you with the entire story/details but he ended up filling his tag with a young buck that was missing his left rear leg at the knee joint and most of his right antler from errand shots. I guess I am wrong in my feelings about the last dance decoy tactics the CO's use!

On a postive note he sawa couple big herds of elk including a grand daddy back stratchin' hoss, along with 6 moose which included 3 really good bulls in the 45 and up range. Apparently some of the mac daddymoosesurvived this years draw in the hills!! They were hunting E of hanley in the allen hills area BTW. For those unfamilar with this terrain it isn't where elk and moose traditionally live,though they are thriving. A number of years ago SERM transplanted some elk and they took off litterally. The moose have always been around in small numbersbut equally are booming. There has been 60" sheds from moose and 400 class bull elk shedsfound in this area. The elk have been on a special draw for the past 3 years (but the last 2 have been cows only) and moose draw was just introduced this year for this area. So far I haven't heard of many big ones shot in this particular zone but i am sure their were some hogs dropped just like south and W in these open terrains.

Unconfirmed at this point but this moose was either shot in the above area on draw or to the west area around unity/wilkie area(similar first time draw). The mac daddy's farmland produces here in saskatchewan, when nobody has been able to harvest them!

Old 12-10-2006, 02:02 PM

Skeeter-wow thats huge![:-] Also so probalbly gun cabinet would have 22lr., 12ga., .243 .270, 30-06, 308. and a 300 win mag each with atleast 3x9 scopes and up.(except the shotgun)
Old 12-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Then a good coat and pants, maybe a rangefinder thats it. Well thats what I think is it.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mallard stalker

Skeeter-wow thats huge![:-] Also so probalbly gun cabinet would have .270, 30-06, 308. and a 300 win mag each with atleast 3x9 scopes and up.
Mallard near anyone who has grown up here has used either a 270win, 308win or 3006 at one time or another. Well actually I should add the old favorites as well to that list 3030 and 303 british. 300 wm and 7mm rem mags are very popular choices, as is the 338wm for those who hunt elk and larger with regularity. As far as scopes I don't see the need for anything larger than 10x for biggame hunting. Personally if I were assembling a 3 CF cabinet it would look like this:
.257 cal (2506AI or 257 wby) Varmit to deer
.284 cal (7mm Rem Mag) deer to moose
.375 cal (375 H&H Mag) anything that walks

Old 12-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

[:@] Dan AKA Hia

Dan the man,when you coming to Alberta? Are you going to be in Edmonton at all? If so let me know and we can get together and put a few Pil back if your interested, LOL. It's not to often asmall town boy can get into the big city [8D]Let know bud and we'll hook up.
Rocky
I can set you up with a homemade stand Troy loved when he was here,you can take it home and copy,it cost $29 to make and should last with out creaking at least 7 years then you just get some more wood. Cheap like boarsh.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:29 PM

Hard to say yf, i talked to my boss today and he didn't know if he could send me out before Christmas or after. Hard to say with that business have to be able to drop everything and be gone in an hour or else your waitin on work for 2 weeks. Haven't a clue when i would be goin or where i would be going but hopefully get out a bit. And us seismic boys are against alcohol, you should know that.

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.