Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

JERKOFF's what a complete waste and that sheet burns my arse hairs!![:@] I found a couple deer and calf moose just shot/left at the lake this year. I suppose the calf moose might have been legit seeing a draw season was on as no tracks to it other their her own but still. At the late elk zone the co's told the fellas they were busy nabbing early bloomers the evening prior to the elk season opening(that would be grey cup sunday-NIGHT). All were locals that were caught...I hope they throw the book at them.

This crap needs to end, privelage not a right to hunt for ALL (I don't need to further explain what "ALL" means).

Hope they catch the suckers.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where is saskabush? Hope he's not stuck in the yota!

Probably shot a gager, driving up and down 8th, faithful and main street with the end gate down..show off!! LOL

Old 12-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Spike

Skeeter, congrats and happy bday to your wife
R
Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM
Probably shot a gager, driving up and down 8th, faithful and main street with the end gate down..show off!! LOL
Well if it slides out of the box goin down 20th or 22nd just keep driving my friend
Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

****'s
OO...OO been censored didn't seem that bad but I guess it was like a rude gesture. Troy(shed) I am sorry, drinking again and forgot me place.

Sprockett thanks for the wishes.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Thinkin about trading in my browning a-bolt .300 Win mag for a Tikka T3 Lite in 7MM Rem mag. Opinions?

Was also thinking about picking up a coyote gun - .22-250 - anyone knowledgeable on those familiy of light, long, fast shooters?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: agaucher

Thinkin about trading in my browning a-bolt .300 Win mag for a Tikka T3 Lite in 7MM Rem mag. Opinions?

Was also thinking about picking up a coyote gun - .22-250 - anyone knowledgeable on those familiy of light, long, fast shooters?
My question to you is why? Not a lot of difference between the 2 for moose sized game.300 wm is slightly better due to retain energy of heavier bullets. ie: better for a chance grizzly run in and being in BC that might be something to consider.

As far the guns 60 degree bolts on both. Tikka are known to be accurate but browning usually are as well or can be made to be. Both require some trigger work off the shelf and the browning will cost a touch more as it will require a different spring though both aren't as easy or cheap as the rem 700 in this regard. Tikkas mag system is better IMHO. Both use tang safeties. Tikka will be lighter and likely to recoil as much or even more than your 300wm abolt.

22-250 is what I havetouch slower than the screaming 220 swift but a great varmit rifle. .223 rem might be a little slower but known for accuracy and typically more over the counter shell offerings if you don't reload. That should be your first order of business when choosing look at ammo offerings in the area be it components as a reloader or OTC. Though have to be honestI have busted more coyotes with my 7mm rem mag than my 22-250 as of late. GuessI like ump sound it makes when the firing pin strikes and it feels soooo good tucked into my shoulder!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Spike

Ag I have both...tikka .300 win mag and a remington .300 H&H mag both guns loaded properly are deadly on moose and deer ( we dont have elk we can hunt here ) I prefer the tikka for long walks and stil hunting however ..and this is JMO ...the remington is a must more stable shot ( heavier )now... on the latter half of your question I have no idea....we deal with the wolves here with HIGH power chit ( hope i am not oversteppin the language barrier here ) Not many LONG shots like out west
But I know the gun /reload section here has some intersting combos for reloads and opinions.
Sprocky

Old 12-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Where is saskabush? Hope he's not stuck in the yota!

Smartarse. Sorry for the prolonged absence. Between deer hunting in the day and beer hunting at night with all the old school friends in town there hasn't been much time for sleep let alone posting . I guess I've got some catching up to do.

Definately good to run into Skeeter and put a voice to the face and name, good guy! Hopefully i'll get a chance to meet more of you guys in the future.

Skeeter, I'll be around sometime this winter or early spring if you're interested in hitting the pasture or those alfalfa fields for sheds. Was that buck you jumped in the same windrows where we ran into you? Keith (brother in law) and i didn't ever make it into the pasture. the wind was a bit of a b*tch but you found that out for yourself! Instead, we went and talked to the guy who owns those posted alfalfa fields on the east side of the road where we met up with you. He gave us permission on the south quarter as long as we set up facing south (away from the houses). The rest of thurday was pretty uneventful. The wind switched to northwest so we set up for the evening in that abandoned yard and waited for the critters to come out but only the does showed up. Firday morning we set up on the fenceline along that alfalfa field hoping to intercept all those deer coming from the fields. It worked perfectly as the snow drifts were high enough that we could scoot along the fence for a shot every time a new group of deer came across. I think it was the second or third group that came by had a nice little 2 1/2 year old 5x4. Keith lined up and made a great shot from about 175 yards. He went a few yards and I put one in him for insurance (turns out it wasn't needed) but we wanted to be sure because of our narrow shooting alleys. Keith was pretty happy to finally have his first buck after three years of trying. To me that morning made the whole trip back worth while and a success in my books. I'll post pics when I get home.

Last night was a bust as the deer came piling out of the pasture. I lost count at 30 but no big bucks to be seen. This morning dad and I headed back to the fenceline but the deer all crossed before legal time. A couple of decent ones but nothing worth shooting. To effing cold anyway[:'(]. Tonite I went back to the pasture but someboday already was in my spot or at least camped out in his truck watching the field where the deer end up when they come out of the pasture. Instead, I became one of the "orange army" driving laps. In the end, I didn't try to hard as I wasn't too excited about gutting a deer in this weather. [:'(][:'(]

All in all a fun trip and well worth it. I had my chances and learned my lessons from them. I can't wait to do it again next year, just don't tell the wife[:-]

Sprockett, nice looking buck way to go!

ag, i'd be putting that mulie on the wall but that's just me.

JD (or any of you for that matter), you should come up to PR next year. We'll track a big wt down and admire each others trucks

Old 12-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good hunt Saskabush! Howfar in frpm the BC/Ab border do you tend to hang out around? I was up that far last August (on the BC side) nice country. Are your deer seasons quite late like in Southern BC?

Skeeter - The trajectories are a big issue with me, especially since I am going to be moving towards more sheep hunting from here on in. Furthermore the 7Mag has a 140 grain bullet, which without reloading as far as Ive been able to find isnt available in my .300 Win Mag. One other issue that has bothered me with my .300 Browning is durability, the synthetic stock seems to scratch/scuff more often than my wood stocked rifles. Might be how I treat it, as it does endure a lot.

As for grizz, the only times ive run into them is when I have been carrying a 7mm-08 with 140gr. Not a good idea. One time in fact I shot one as it was beginning a charge (wasnt moving THAT fast) and unfortunatly wounded and lost it after 6 hours of looking. Regardless though the safety aspect of having a heavier hitting gun is something to consider.

Finally weight with sheep/goat hunting is a priority, and the Tikka Lite, is, well, light

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.