Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Sask...ya did the right thing. A buddy of mine did the same thing a few years back except he decided to take the shot. Needless to say the landowner came flying up after hearing the shot. He was 10' from loading it in the truck when he pulled up. After a while of catching hell, he was reported to f&WL and had to deal with all the fun stuff associated. Landowner ended up dropping the charges since my bud co-operated with him when asked about his info. Last thing a guy needs is to taint the sport he loves for an animal .Hell try and find the owner and secure permission for next year I say...can't hurt!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD I agree with you BUT if a landowner feels that way he should post his property. I am not saying disrespect landowners in any way but how is guy to know without it posted properly!! In sask it is not a legal obligation to have permission for private land, if unposted they can't do a thing legally but it is always best to try and gain permission!

Saskabush, are you saying toyota 4x4's are meant for the tick stuff...lol. I have a Dodge no worries about a little snow...Ho ho Ho!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: NBDeerHunter

Hi there Hiawatha.....let me know what you think of the ZR500. I just bought the same camera last night, It was onsale at Shoppers Drug mart for $299 so I figured how could I go wrong. Can't wait to get out and use it.
Man they seen me comin. Guess i should start shoppin in NB.
-As for the private land bit you did the right thing sask, not saying i would have done the same. I know as a land owner i demand people ask permission to hunt that is why i have it posted, if it was not posted there is really nothing i can do about it. It is a commom courtesy to ask permission for unposted land though few follow it. Workin like a dog on a website for school, managed to sneak in some huntin photos lol. Will post up the url for u guys once i get a bit more done on the page.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Hey all - if you have a sec do me a favor and look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s8WwN6XnqM

Tell me what you get outta that big (Nontypical looking) muley about 2 minutes into the footage. Its kind of blurey, but he looks heavy and nice.

In regard to the private/posting thing - I think you did the right thing Sask. In BC its even more private than ALberta. If you hunt private land - posted or not- and get caught your basically f**ked. A friend of mine (this is totally illegal, I dont hunt with him, nor do I condone what he did) was with a friend of his and illegally shot a doe out of a private agricultural field. Famer heard the shot, chased the guys down, they rolled their truck over a cliff - farmer went down the cliff after them on foot, took their rifles, literally beat the hell outta them, and then called the cops. Although I dont agree with the famers actions, my buddy and his friends were clearly in the wrong.

Alberta to my understanding you are supposed to have permission on any private you hunt - but my hunter host was telling me the lines do tend to get blurred when it comes to fenced, non posted land.

The first evening I was there hunting we spotted a BEAUT of a muley buck in my tag zone - had deep a$$ forks, with serious mass. He was about 800 yards out and in the thick of chasing a doe in circles. To me, my host, and my partner, he would have gone 180-190 typical. Absolutly gorgeous. Problem was the land was private, not posted. We called the land owner, and unfortunatly she had other hunters booked in for the weekend. We drove by there the next day to find no tracks int he snow, and we could have easily hopped the fence, went in, and probably atleast seen that big bugger if not snapped a shot off at him in a cooley.

Regardless point is respect the land owner. We own some land here in kelowna and have some trespassers on it - I cant stand it as they are quite disrepectful even though ive asked them to vacate and never come backk. They just about drove my dad off the road when he blocked it with his truck to talk to them the other night. Idiots imho.

My 0.02 cents!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reassurance guys. For the record, I know that I didn't necessarily need permission but I agree that it's much better to get it. Given how well used that road is, the last thing i needed was a nosey neighbour deciding to raise a stink. I like shooting big deer but not when I leave with a bad taste in my mouth about doing it.

However, it turns out the point was moot. I have an old RM map at my parents place (circa 1986) that shows the land as leased crown. A quick stop at the nearest farm house this morning confimed that nothing has changed and it is still crown. With that in the back of my mind I headed for the pasture but not before stopping to glass the hedgerow. Surprise, surprise. Guess who was there! In the exact same spot as i'd seen them the day before. I got a better look at him this time (better angle) and have to say he's not as big as I thought the first time. Still, he was a very pretty dark horned deer so I figured wtf, I'll give it a go. By the time I had got stuff ready he was up and chasing the doe again. after some back and forth they ended up about 3/4 of a mile south but still in an approachable area. Wth out dragging this on any longer i'll get to the point. I blew it!!![:@][:@][:'(] I made it to 75yds and the doe busted me! I could have sat still and waited for him to make the first move but nooooo, I had to get one rise closer and she busted me. Oh well, at least I got a chance.[&:]

The rest of the day was good. The deer were moving early! Earlier than I could get into my evening spot so I ended up watching from the road. Saw another four bucks all come out and into a wide open field with a full 1/2 hour of light left. One was a nice but slightly broomed off 4x4. I think he lost both g3's in the wars. The rest were all little fellas. Tommorow I'm taking the brother in law out, he's never shot a buck so hopefully we can get him his first.

Skeeter, the toyota is an off roading machine. Just not with the POS stock tires I currently have on it. If I had a shovel with me I may have been a little more adventurous. Looking again today, I don't think the trails would be impassable, just a little ignorant in some spots. BTW, get your butt out there this week! I saw another nice 5x5 courting a doe on posted land this afternoon while heading for the pasture so they are definately still rutting!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Spike

high 5's skeeter...got me twoof em ...dodges that is
Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Saskabush that 5x5 you saw would be off 219 south of Dakote FN would it?? I saw a good 5x5 and a gager 6x7 a lot on that run this year. The land in which both were on are NO GOER's from any angle as they are locked up by a couple of brothers here.

I am going tomorrow though not sure if I'll dawn the rifle in the am or head to the Ml spot. South wind is ok for the morning there but the evening very bad and while they are calling for a possible NW switch in late afternoon I am thinking of heading out in the afternoon with my partner and the rifles. I made a whirl tour out to the ML spot and saw a 4x4 nose to ground so I figured rut is still in the air a little..but good to hear elsewhere. Hey wait maybeI shouldhead to 29 tomorrow just in case you need a yank! You'll know me I am the one in the dodge with the peeing on every other truck symbols plastered on the rear window...J/king of course I am not that red around the collar! Ya you need some meat under that machine. I like my BFG's they chew pretty good, yet are reasonably quiet on blacktop.
Who knows maybe we'll cross paths, i'll see which way the wind blows me prior to sunrise. in any event good luck to you and your bro-in-law!

Sprockett, I have 2 dodges in the driveways as well. Only 1 ram, the other is the wife people mover(minivan). I think young hia drives a dodge too. Well he use to any way! Only thing my truckdoesn't pass is gas stations!! Yeah it's got a HEMI[]!!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just got these in an email. Co's found 2 locked up near dief lake.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah Skeeter, south of the reserve about where the road turns from southwest to strait south again. no hunting signs every 100yrds on both sides. I've seen some crankers (both mulies and Wts) in that little bend over the years. My old truck just about became intimite with a HUGE 5x5 mulie a few years ago on that corner.

Good luck if you head down to the rifle zones. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. I'll be in the black tacoma parked on the side of the road New tires will be next years purchase. Shhh[:-] I haven't told the wife yet
Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

This onedidn't walked away from the showdown!

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.