Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Lucky Easterners

Old 01-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lucky Easterners

Sorry Turk...supposed to be 2 in Ab. 1 in Lethbridge & 1 in Red Deer. But still unconfirmed!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:23 AM

The only Canadian store mentioned in the Cabela's web site is Montreal. No mention of size, but I have to beleive that it will be a big store. The Hamblurg, PA store is 250,00 sq ft, the Hartford, CN store is to be on the order of 180,000 sq ft. Some of the smaller stores are under 100,00 sq ft. If any of you are traveling I-81 in PA or I-95 in NJ it is worth a short trip on I-78 to Hampurg, PA.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

cnile,

Cabelas doesn't mention anything on their website until the deal is done. There is also talk that they will be opening a store in Hooksett, NH but they aren't going to say anything until it's pretty far down the pipe just in case it doesn't happen.

I have to admit, that I'm a bit surprised that their first location in Canada is in Quebec. I always thought that there were much higher bariers of entry into Quebec than other provinces. Toys R Us for example doesn't sell their wooden Thomas and Friends Trains here in Quebec because the label isn't translated. This issue cost me many a mile last Christmas, but that's another story. It will be curious to see if they translate their labels or if the pronvincial gov't backed off a bit on their requirements. I would have to assume it's the latter.

Cheers,
Old 01-26-2006, 11:59 AM

There is a Gander Mountain in Watertown? What are you guys finding the border is like these days. I've been keeping away until it cools down, been only once since 9/11, and I crossed without any trouble, but guys I know who go a lot are getting reamed periodically, and it is pretty easy to loose your lifetime rights if you make a small mistake, so I'm hoping that it will regularize again.

When will the new Cabela's open?

I don't think the Canadian one will be any good. The same was true with Walmart, the Canadian stores sucked compared to the US stores. The difference with Walmart is they can adapt to the local market, there isn't any significant sized local market for sporting goods so developing Can suppliers etc... doesn't do you any good. As I said when they opened, there will be two good sales the going out of buisness sales from the competitors, and the their going out of business sale.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ossage

What are you guys finding the border is like these days. I've been keeping away until it cools down, been only once since 9/11, and I crossed without any trouble, but guys I know who go a lot are getting reamed periodically, and it is pretty easy to loose your lifetime rights if you make a small mistake, so I'm hoping that it will regularize again.
I haven’t had any problem crossing the border at all and I’ve must of have been there a dozen times in 2 years. I’m always polite , keep to the questions and I don’t get smart. I always have my passport with me, take my shades off and look directly at them when answering the questions... I’ve gone thru the border once a long time ago and had a secondary search. Was not a pleasant experience. [:@]
Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 AM

After I posted I did a Cabela's search and came across the news release for the Hookset store, Plainfield (?), MA store and Scarborough, ME store.
The release also mentioned a Bass Pro Shop in Foxboro, MA.