Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Liberals want to ban hanguns in Canada!! >

Liberals want to ban hanguns in Canada!!

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Liberals want to ban hanguns in Canada!!

Old 12-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Liberals want to ban hanguns in Canada!!

Ossage !

I also have to agree with you ,just look at some of the thing's you mention as for suicide and the officer's of the law take your firearm's and you get charged ,as well as having your firearm's out and not in safe storage ,you get charged ,and try this one ,your firearm has been stolen and used in a crime ,the police find it and prove you the criminal once again for unsafe storage ,it's just an easy out to be sure someone pay's for the crime and it's usually the innocent who made a mistake of not locking up their firearm's correctly.
These law's were supposed to get the criminal ,but if they can't get the criminal then they're going to pin the crime on someone ,maybe you .
I also am leary on Harper ,I think the only way to make such law's work is to drop it and start over .

nubo
Old 12-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem here boys is plain and simple POLITICS.As a part of the Canadian electorate we hunters and gun owners are nothing but a tiny irritant at best except for a very few rural and western ridings which are lost to the liberals anyway. So there is no numerically tactical advantage for the liberals ( or any government ) to cater to us. In fact the opposite being the smoke and mirrors spewed about us is quite effective in sucking in votes in large urban centers like Toronto and Montreal. Urban non gun owners don't know anything about firearms except what they read in papers about young blacks killing each other and innocent bystanders with no remorse. So you can see why the liberals use guns to thier advantage politically. What an honest government needs to do is admit that the registry is nothing but an obscenly expensive vote getter for the liberals and establish effective gun control. That 2 billion should be spent on the following:
1) Every gun owner should have an extensive and regular background check done by local and national police. Gun owners should pay a fee for this.
2) the registry for long guns should be dismantled as its nothing but a database that can now be hacked into by criminals who now have exact addresses and a shopping list. People have hacked into Microsoft and the US department of defense. Believe me they can crack Allan Rocks registry if wanted.
3) Canada customs should change from being nothing but tax collectors on liquor and blue jeans and should effectively protect us from illegal hand gun smuggling. If they're shaking down two 50 year old soccer moms who went shopping in Buffalo then the gun smugglers just slip in quietly. Arm our customs agents and let them do real work.
4) Judges and crown attornies should have to enforce the laws already on the books nothing less. There is no point on adding new laws if these wannabe politicians don't enforce them anyways. Remove that power from them and things in courtrooms would very different.
5) Scrap the current Young Offenders Act. This is a joke where young criminals know they can basically do anything they want up to 18 years of age with no consequences.
Will any government make any of these changes ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE. I can't say either. But what I do know is that those crooked lieing liberals created this problem over the last 12 years and that the NDP believes in spending your tax dollars on hiring more government at every level thinking if the whole damn country is on the government payroll then they will be happy. That only leaves one choice for me. If Harper turns out to be no better we can kick his ass out next time.
Lets hope its a happy new year for the right reasons boys.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just thinking of this crap really put's a dampener on my day ,these government's just think we're all pesent's and niusance's ,and figure if they can hit the main Target's such as Toronto and Montreal with those who haven't got any clue about gun's ,that they'll over rule all rural area's in the country .
As for the young offender's that is a real joke ,just read your paper's about who's doing all the killing with gun's ,YES a majority of them are young offender's who couldn't give a crap about anyone ,and yes that was another law brought in my our Trusty ole Liberal Government .These kid's today [Most of
them] know all too well that you can't do a thing to them ,which make's them the way they are today.

AHHHHHHHH I'm really ticked by this whole conversation ,I'm going hunting

nubo
Old 12-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ossage; 1984 & 1958. I didn't count the numerouse times before 3 party politics.

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/1867-2004.html

Dan O.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the price tag for this new handgun ban but the liberal number crunchers estimate it at $500 million. I don't care much about handguns but I do care about my taxes. I would like to see a rational approach to gun crime based on some hard evidence. There are lots of other countries out there that have been through this already and we don't have to reinvent the wheel. The Americans have the highest rate of violent crime in the civilized world because they let their poorest citizens fall through the cracks and then let them buy handguns at Walmart - a bad combination!
Ifour government based their policies on evidence rather than emotion, hunters could keep their guns, poor kids wouldn't have to join gangs and rich people wouldn't have to live in "gated communities" (rich mans prison). Just my semiannual rant!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a newcomer to Canada (native Vermonter marries French Canadian and moves to Quebec); but am baffled by everything I see and hear on this supposed gun control law.

1. I have yet to meet one person that can effectively argue the positive elements of this law.

2. I HAVE YET TO MEET ONE PERSON IN LAW ENFORCEMENT (INCLUDES CUSTOMS, FISH AND GAME, RCMP, LOCAL POLICE) WHO PUT ANY VALUE IN THIS LAW.

3. It's obvious there has been a significant lack of success with regards to the initial intent of this law.

All three of these items really don't surprise me much, but what does surprise me is that there has been no accountability taken or even acceptance that this law is a failure. The closest thing I can compare it to back in the States is Bush's current attempts to make the Patriot act permenant. As much as you want to argue it's effectiveness or lack thereof, he always has that trump card of you don't see it's true effectiveness aside from the absense of terrorist attacks since 9/11. With the Canadian gun control laws, the proof of it's lack of effectiveness is there (0% decrease on gun related crimes). I grew up learning in school that a parliamentary government provides greater flexibility to interchange the leaders.

Why is this so confusing for me to understand (aside from the Cliche)?

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

All three of these items really don't surprise me much, but what does surprise me is that there has been no accountability taken or even acceptance that this law is a failure.
First let me welcome you to Canada. Now what you need to realize is that we have had a Liberal government for the past 12 years who basically only do what is good for the Liberal party. Reelection at all costs. The gun registry was a financial fiasco that went 1000% over budget and accomplishes nothing. Gun owners are a very small minority in Canada and therefor not really a factor in an election. Its sounds simplistic but its just that. Politics and numbers.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

hello mustad ,i agree with u 100% ..the only good thing with our gun registration is that if my rifle is stolen ,the thief can't sell it to anouther hunter because all of my firearms are registered ..but there is allway's a but he can sell it to a crimmial [imagine holding up a bank with a black powder gun ] anyway all ican say is ..HUNT SAFE=USE FEDERAL [liberal] AMUNITION=IT WONT FIRE
Old 01-09-2006, 10:50 AM

Dan O Thanks for the history. I knew that wouldn't be right, I'm surprised it was so few times. So not in 20 years, kinda makes my point.

Terry M. It's a hard judgement call, but I still think that on ballance safe storage was worse than the registry. The registry is more sinister since it leads to confiscation. And the registry was started before the ST had even been fully implemented to see if it would help. But ST made it pretty difficult to have a loaded gun around, and opened up shooters to a lot of legal liability. Case in point is this guy on vacation in florida who is being charged in TO with unsafe storage when thieves spent 2 days cracking his 1700 pound safe!

Of course it was the conservatives who brought us the safe storage stuff. liberals brought us a the FAC and the registry, so they win the overall prize. Well really, it is just what the peasantry want.

The gun registry went to 1 or 2 billion from the earliest number of 2 million though that number was a joke. On that basis it went 1000 times over budget. 1000% is just ten times!