Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Vendor Forums > OpticsCamp.com
Nikon Monarch vs Vortex Viper >

Nikon Monarch vs Vortex Viper

Community
OpticsCamp.com Online supplier of hunting binoculars, rangefinders, riflescopes, and other optics. Special deals for HuntingNet.com members.

Nikon Monarch vs Vortex Viper

Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nikon Monarch vs Vortex Viper

Vortex Viper 4x12x40 vs the Nikon Monarch 3x12x42, does anyone have a comparison. The more I look the more confused I seem to be. Does the argon in the Viper better than the nitrogen in the Monarch? Is the 42 mm noticeable over the 40 mm in the Monarch?. Is the eye relief noticeable-Viper I think 3.7 vs 4.0 in the Monarch. The Viper is about 40.00 cheaper. Any real actual knowledge of comparing both?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vortex are supposedly putting some good scopes ( no hands on ) that being said for $40 I'd opt for a Nikon.

Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Huntr2
Vortex Viper 4x12x40 vs the Nikon Monarch 3x12x42, does anyone have a comparison. The more I look the more confused I seem to be. Does the argon in the Viper better than the nitrogen in the Monarch? Is the 42 mm noticeable over the 40 mm in the Monarch?. Is the eye relief noticeable-Viper I think 3.7 vs 4.0 in the Monarch. The Viper is about 40.00 cheaper. Any real actual knowledge of comparing both?
Argon vs nitrogen doesn't matter. They both achieve the same goal of purging air and moisture from the body, preventing fogging. The only real difference between those two gases (when used in scopes) is their atomic weight, meaning an argon-purged scope is going to be about .0000000000000000001 oz heavier.

Objective size - I don't think you'll notice any difference in light transmission between those two sizes. Go for the one that will fit lower on your gun without hitting the barrel or any other part of the gun.

Eye relief of .3 inches might be slightly noticeable if you're picky, but it's pretty standard. The longer eye relief of the Monarch gives you a little more room to find a comfortable mounting position.

Whether or not the $40 is worth it is up to you. I'm fairly certain that both Vortex and Nikon at that price range are manufactured in Asia. Vortex is a little more clear on their product warranty, but either one is a fine choice.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OpticsCamp
Argon vs nitrogen doesn't matter. They both achieve the same goal of purging air and moisture from the body, preventing fogging. The only real difference between those two gases (when used in scopes) is their atomic weight, meaning an argon-purged scope is going to be about .0000000000000000001 oz heavier.

Objective size - I don't think you'll notice any difference in light transmission between those two sizes. Go for the one that will fit lower on your gun without hitting the barrel or any other part of the gun.

Eye relief of .3 inches might be slightly noticeable if you're picky, but it's pretty standard. The longer eye relief of the Monarch gives you a little more room to find a comfortable mounting position.

Whether or not the $40 is worth it is up to you. I'm fairly certain that both Vortex and Nikon at that price range are manufactured in Asia. Vortex is a little more clear on their product warranty, but either one is a fine choice.

I see you have a Minox, are they a lot better?

Last edited by Huntr2; 06-19-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, both mentioned scopes would get the job done. I (currently) have only one Vortex Viper (2-7) and it is a good scope. Nikon scopes just don't "wet my whistle". CS of the Vortex people is top notch so that is a certain benefit.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Huntr2
I see you have a Minox, are they a lot better?
My opinion may be biased, but yes I consider Minox to be higher quality and value.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OpticsCamp
My opinion may be biased, but yes I consider Minox to be higher quality and value.
truth

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tundra10
truth
The Minox ZV3 3-9x40 is one of the best scopes I've seen in a long time in the price range, and everybody that has one loves the glass.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

How's the ZV3 for durability? And how's Minox for warranty issues? (I didn't see anything about a warranty mentioned on the web page you linked to.) Do they service them here or do you have to ship them to Germany?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Murdy
How's the ZV3 for durability? And how's Minox for warranty issues? (I didn't see anything about a warranty mentioned on the web page you linked to.) Do they service them here or do you have to ship them to Germany?
Lifetime replacement warranty, same as the ZA5 line.

In my writeup comparing the ZA5 to the ZV3, I found that the ZA5 2-10x40 and ZV3 3-9x4 shared the same main body tube, appeared to have indistinguishable glass, and were more alike than different. That leads me to the conclusion that they probably have the same design specs. The ZV3 is manufactured in Asia, which explains the lower cost.

The ZV3 is brand new for 2013, but I have full confidence in their durability. Minox learned a lot from the first generation of ZA3 several years back, and their scopes have had very few problems since. I've heard nothing but good things from ZV3 owners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.