Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
what's up with Cabela's/Bass pro? >

what's up with Cabela's/Bass pro?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

what's up with Cabela's/Bass pro?

Old 12-27-2020, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default what's up with Cabela's/Bass pro?

got a gift card for Christmas, well in the need for a new scope or 2, went online and was looking for a Leupold 4.5x14 for one of my rifles to replace a night force. well it was out of stock, checked 10 other mid level scopes and none were in stock in the 6-7 stores within 120 miles, also checked out some ammo, none in stock. anybody else have this issue? just seems odd that as big of an outfit as they are they have not 1 item that I am interested in. thoughts?
RR
Old 12-27-2020, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

It is inventory time before taxes. The less stock they have on the shelves, the less tax they pay.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
It is inventory time before taxes. The less stock they have on the shelves, the less tax they pay.
It is a common misconception that inventory levels have an effect on income taxes, it does not affect income taxes except in interstate income allocations. Inventory is simply an asset similar in nature to cash, receivables, equipment, etc. In some locations inventory may impact local property taxes, . Some business owners have been using the "big inventory clearance due to taxes" as a sales gimmick but it is not real.

RR - BPS is doing a poor job with Cabela's. It is understandable that they are sold out of ammo and reloading supplies (everyone is), and maybe they sold a lot of scopes for Christmas, but they are not carrying many items that the real Cabela's did and they do not carry as much in stock. It was a dark day when BPS bought Cabela's.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 12-28-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

I've recently been in a Bass Pro in CA and a Cabelas in Nevada. Both were stripped of ammo and the Cabelas seemed to have a lot less Cabelas gear. I wasn't looking at optics in either store so couldn't comment to that specifically. I agree that it was a dark day when BPS bought Cabelas cause BPS seemed to suck the guts out of Cabelas and acts like their intent is to turn Cabelas into BPS-light. And from what I can see, BPS is mainly a fishing store that happens to carry some guns and hunting equipment.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

not sure where anyone has been but this whole yr 2020 more or less, guns and ammo have been selling faster than most stores can replace it, so its no surprise to me that scopes are also missing to be found or replaced when sold
I know countless guys that have been trying to find certain optic's now for months and ZERO to be had

even seen several ammo makers doing commercials stating that some 7+ million new gun owners this yr(2020) have had them unable to keep up with demands, as some have been accused of Hoarding ammo or stock piling to drive prices up

when the facts are, with Corona crap, less workers, 7+ million new gun owners, , the demand for items have far surpassed what makers can build and replace when sold!

and I also think pending new president, things might get worse LONG before they get any better!

so, heads up, when you see things you want GRAB EM< while there there!

Old 12-28-2020, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also worth mentioning is that hunting and fishing licenses went up because of the pandemic. Deer rifles mean scope sales.