Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

15x binos?

Old 12-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

My basic rule is clarity beats magnification any day. Meaning, for a set amount of $$, you are better off spending on quality optics at 10X rather than going up to 15x magnification. The higher magnifications require better glass. My personal example is having a crappy 60x spotting scope that would not show bullet holes in paper at 100 yards that I could see through my quality 9x rifle scope. That and the above noted need for a solid tripod. Maybe you can find a sweet spot of 12X and good quality glass within your budget.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

^^^ Lot of wisdom right there. I started with a cheaper spotting scope that went up to 60x and the optics sucked. I took it back to the gun store and ordered a Leupold gold Ring spotter from 12-40x and haven't looked back since (no pun intended). As I get older, I've found that there really is no substitute for good glass. Easier on the eyes and you see more with it. I hunt mostly local with much shorter distances (usually under 300 yards) but am very curious about what it's like hunting in Wyoming and what works well there.

For the OP, let us know what you decide on and how well it works. From your description above, it sounds like you're doing something similar to the Coues deer hunters. Here's a link to an older article (2015) that discusses the differences and advantages of 12x versus 15x for spotting and hunting animals at longer distances.

https://gilavalleyoutdoor.com/1215-h...ging-the-game/

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-05-2020 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Correct scope size
Old 12-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Spike

Just my.02. My sons ,gson and I hunted Mt. again this year and the middle boy had Nikon 8x56 glasses and I was really impressed with the clarity and ease of them in comparison to my 10x42 Sigs. I'd switchif the rangefinder wasn't in the binos I have.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

DJfan, let us know what you decide and how well it works out. This is an interesting topic for sure.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Spike

I'm a super senior(80+)and can relate to your problem. Early on I used 7x, then later went to 8x, then went to 10x, all were quality binoculars. I'm still using my 10x but last year I bought a pair of Vortex Kaibab's in 20x which I use on a tripod or window mount. I really like them and I use them instead of a spotting scope and sometimes use them instead of my 10x power binoculars. They are very clear and don't seem to tire my eyes out and gives me a lot better field of view than my spotting scope. It sounds as if this might be over your budget, they're about $1100, unless you have some connections. If you do you could get them for about $800. I've had them for over a year now and I can honestly say it was money well spent, even though my wife doesn't think so.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by silverstreak
I'm a super senior(80+)and can relate to your problem. Early on I used 7x, then later went to 8x, then went to 10x, all were quality binoculars. I'm still using my 10x but last year I bought a pair of Vortex Kaibab's in 20x which I use on a tripod or window mount. I really like them and I use them instead of a spotting scope and sometimes use them instead of my 10x power binoculars. They are very clear and don't seem to tire my eyes out and gives me a lot better field of view than my spotting scope. It sounds as if this might be over your budget, they're about $1100, unless you have some connections. If you do you could get them for about $800. I've had them for over a year now and I can honestly say it was money well spent, even though my wife doesn't think so.
Awesome story. I scaled down and found some Vortex 12 x 50s I got. Saw them for 60% off, so I pulled the trigger. We'll see how long they last for my eyes.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DJfan
Awesome story. I scaled down and found some Vortex 12 x 50s I got. Saw them for 60% off, so I pulled the trigger. We'll see how long they last for my eyes.
I hope they work out for you,
and thank you, as I am glad you came back with a follow up to things on what you went with!

and hope you do again after some hours behind the new Bino's and tell us more how you like, dis like anything on them!

its always nice to have follow up to things for other to learn from!
Old 02-04-2020, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally favor 15x binos. I have used 7x LRF’s for a long time, such having a 10x bino simply isn’t a huge step up. Each time I have bought a pair of 10x or 12x binos, I have ended up leaving them behind and eventually selling them. 15’s bring the right view which is a significant step up over what I can see with my LRF. So if I feel I need to carry anything more than my LRF, I step all the way to the 15’s.

I lucked into a set of 15x56mm Swarovski SLC’s a couple years ago, and absolutely love them. I have used Vortex Vultures as well, at a much friendlier price point, but these Swaro’s can’t be beat. I mount them on a tripod for precision rifle matches, where I can look through them for 8+ hours per day without strain or headaches. I also haul them in a chest harness while packing up mountain. The size and weight is naturally more than a smaller 10x set, but in a proper harness, it’s still a very comfortable size and weight for me.