Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-1 >

Rangefinder - Leupold GX-1

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Rangefinder - Leupold GX-1

Old 05-23-2019, 04:00 AM
Spike

Post Rangefinder - Leupold GX-1

I just started bow hunting this season and am loving it. The only real problem im having is judging how far an animal may be when im in the woods. Someone is selling a leupold GX-1 Rangefinder which is a golf rangefinder but I was just wondering if i would be able to use this in the woods. Correct me if i am wrong but from my understanding, you can use a golf range finder in the woods but you may not want to use a hunting range finder on the golf course. From what i have read the golf range finders are looking for something smaller while the hunting ones are looking for a bigger target. With that said you can still find the bigger target on a golf rangefinder. Has anyone ever used a golf rangefinder in the woods. I would be saving a good amount of money and am just curious to hear anyone's thoughts. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you go to leupold's web site it will show you the details of what this model does as to other models
from what I know of them without looking is, all models have some variances in how accurate they are and what sized magnification they have , and then HOW far they will take measurements on both reflective and NON reflective objects
it really has NOTHING to do with the size of the item, to a degree,
when you have higher magnification glass in the range finder, many find it easier to get the crosshair's/aiming point
on targets that are smaller, but again, this is a aiming thing and NOT how the range finder reads!
there are range finders designed to work more up close and some that work \farther out!
Lower magnification glass will allow use longer TYPICALLY in low light
Most archery hunting is done under 50 yards, so you do NOT need a range finer that can read out very far, but many will use one in other hunting, target shooting and thus want one that can read BOTH Up close and far away, this is why they make and sell so many different models LOL

weight can be a issue to some, and oddly as it sounds, some of the one's that read Farther out, are actually lighter than some of the only closer reading one's? mostly I gather due to the farther reading one's tend to me more expensive and get some better parts in things?

IMO< I see NO reason a golf range finder couldn;t be used in the woods, and vice versa, the quality of range finder is more important than , its marketing !