HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Optics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics-85/)
-   -   Good scope for 500+ shots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/optics/420498-good-scope-500-shots.html)

Hhardrockminer 03-02-2019 06:27 AM

Good scope for 500+ shots

Hello to all, I would like to thank all for their responses before. I'm new to this forum but have several questions for those who may want to chime in. I'm looking for a good scope I can hunt with in Montana and some of the shots I've done were out to the 350+ but not often and not really wanting to take them but I try a long shot now and then but only if it's a clear shot.
Thanks,Hhardrock

mrbb 03-02-2019 08:01 AM

welcome to the site
I think your new to hunting and shooting,a s it seems l**** your not sure of many things

first off, any scope can be shot at any distance
has nothing to do with scope and how far one can shoot
second, before shooting at live animals, (it can be dangerous too) you should be GOOD at shooting paper targets accurately, at any distance you MIGHT shoot at a live animal with, its the ethical thing to do, , trying to LEARN how to shoot far at living things is not a proper way to learn how to shoot farther!
I would highly suggest reading up and learning how to shoot far with what ever caliber rile you have and use!

NOW as for scope's
there are countless brands that make even more countless model of reliable scopes, from lower priced ones to very HIGH priced one's
and most all have life time warranty's

so,before we could maybe recommend a scope to you, maybe tell us MORE info
like what caliber and type of rifle(this matters )
then next maybe a bigger part of the deal, tell us what your budget is!

and last, most all scopes can be good for thousands of shots, as again that is not really the main point of a scope, i=s how many shots it can handle, but there are scopes built more robust than others for sure, but price tags tend to climb as you get into the higher tested end one's!

elkman30 03-02-2019 09:27 AM

I wasn't sure whether he meant 500+ shots or shots at 500+ yards. Everything you wrote is spot on.

Hhardrockminer 03-03-2019 04:17 PM

Hey Mrbb and Elmman, I appreciate the fast response, sorry I may have not been really clear in my post and that I'm sorry for the wording in part.
I was trying to ask about 500 yds in distance and that I have a scope I'm not that confident in to take a shot much over 300 yds.
Just trying to upgrade and stay within a normal persons budget of around 600.00(= or -).
Sorry,I wasn't more clear but it is what it is.
Thanks Again
hhardrock

mrbb 03-03-2019 04:45 PM

well again
the scope has NOTHING really to do with shooting FAR
many people shoot 1,000 yards with open sights !
the ability to shoot far, be it a 10 yards or a 1,000 is learning what your rifle and caliber and load and YOU can do with it all,
so maybe your question is more about what can you see to shoot at the distances you want to shoot at
But keep in mind,m just can you can see something better, doesn';t mean you can shoot better
shooting far, is a game of practice and practice and more practice, and its Not something you should be trying to learn to do on live targets!

as JUST having a scope large magnification enough to see far , does NOTHING for you honestly in your ability to shoot far!

YES you need to be able to see a target to shoot it, but there is more to shooting far than having a BIG scope and reading a ballistic chart off a box of ammo!
there is a actual skill you need to LEARN< not every rifle shoot well enough to be good on PAPER at 500 yards , never mind trying to kill a animal!
this is what I am trying to get you to understand here and not trying to be rude about it at all, which is also why I am guessing your rather new to shooting.hunting
Based on the words you have used!
so trying to inform you on somethings maybe your not considering here!

so to again answer your question,
honestly , ANY scope can be used to shoot at 500 yards, from fixed 4 power scopes up to as high as you wish to go
I have been shooting in 1,000 yard matches since the late 80's too by the way, so I have some honest experience here!

if you wanted me to PICK a scope out for you, or anyone else,
maybe tell us what type of rifle you plan to put it on, as this also again matters
BIG scopes don't fit well on lever actions, , size of a scope objective will matter to some as will tube size, as some folks don't like scopes sitting HIGH on there rifles, where BIG objectives many times me HIGH scope mounts
eye relief maybe matters pending on recoil /caliber size of rifle?
so, as they say better info you tell us, better info you will get in return

also, maybe include your honest shooting experience here, a lot of SO called long range scopes can get confusing to newer shooters, having more things they can do!

just please before taking shots at animals, make sure you have made them on paper and can do so consistently, time to learn how to shoot far again is NOT shooting at a live animal!

IMO, after about 20 power, you start to get a lot more issues with mirage

Bocajnala 03-03-2019 05:20 PM

$600 can get you into some really decent glass.

Leupold vx3s with a custom dial would be one option.

Nikon monarchs, bushnell elites are some other I would look into.

-Jake

elkman30 03-03-2019 05:35 PM

^^^ What he said about glass. A few more questions come to mind though on what you're planning on hunting and what caliber. If you're gonna shoot P-dogs and coyotes with a 22-250, the scope suggestion might be a bit different than if you're planning on elk, bear and deer hunting with the 30 caliber of your choice, etc.

Big Uncle 03-04-2019 04:11 AM

HRM - Are you looking for a scope to dial in the distance or shoot by holding the crosshairs off? Some of the better scopes for one purpose may not be the best choice for the other. The scopes with the primary purpose of dialing have larger and more exposed turrets that are easy to manipulate. In this price area I think the scopes do one thing slightly better than the other. By that comment I mean that some have a more reliable dialing system, and the other have better glass.

Hhardrockminer 03-04-2019 08:59 AM

Thanks to all for their responses.
I'm not new to hunting or shooting even if my posts may not have the jargon people use on this form but I am not one for paid ranges and not one that takes a shot at a LIVE animal just see if I can hit or kill it.
I am just trying to figure out a better scope for my Howa 1500 7mm mag.
I do understand what some have said but then again I don't want a BIG scope just a better scope than what I have at present time, and I really don't want or have to spend big(hard earned) money so I can impress someone.
I really do appreciate all the responses and enjoy the site somewhat.
Hhardrock

Big Uncle 03-04-2019 09:22 AM

HRM - You seem like a level headed guy. A fellow with common sense is always welcome.

From what you have posted it sounds like you might want to look really hard at the Leupold VX3i 30mm 4.5 x 14 with CDS. I have a couple of these that I use for hunting and doubt that you will be able to find a more reliable big-game scope in this price range. There are some other options that may be attractive but for clear glass and a scope that you can count on in rough country this one is hard to beat. I know some other scopes that have great warranties (a very good thing) but too many fellows that are fans of them seem to have used that warranty (a very bad thing). The price tag is very close to your budget.