Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
1980 Optics? >

1980 Optics?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

1980 Optics?

Old 05-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default 1980 Optics?

Ok, I picked up a savage 99 in .375 Winchester.

I would really like to put a period correct optic on it. But I still want something quality.

Since I wasn't alive in 1980, I really have no idea what was popular or common or quality.

Right now it has the high see through scope rings with a 3-9 tasco on it. I haven't checked to tasco to see what year it was made, it may be period correct. But it's not very clear.

What should I be looking for. Brands, models, etc. My uncle has a 99 with a scope that has a single post type reticle that seems pretty nice. I'll see him later this week and ask him about that.

What were your favorite scopes around 1980?
Hoping I can get some ideas here and start watching some of the auction sites and pick something up for a reasonable price.

-Jake
Old 05-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

jake, Leupold, Weaver, and Redfield were the most popular.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

well something Time related for that era, actually would have been a Tasco, , better quality would have been a Weaver, and then the leupold,bushnell, redfields and some other older company's.
back then it would have been most likely been a FIXED power scope too, a 4x was most common, and in something like a 4x32 mm model
variable power scopes didn;t really take off IMO till mid to late 80's when all the makers started wars with making them and the SO called best LOW light scope, was the big fad back in the late 80's
see thru mounts were also a BIG crazy back then, due to scopes had a rep of failing
so guys/shooters wanted peace of mind to be able to still shoot if the scope fogged up or got damaged some other way, scope's fogging was rather common issue, as few decent FAST removable scope caps were about, about late 80's the butler creek like flip open caps came about due to this issue, the older tasco's used to have a slip over cap that had one yellow like color lens on the objective side, and a clean on the eye side, and then elastic bands holding the two together, I cannot tell you how many guys would come into gun store and ask for replacement caps, as they would see a deer, hurry take caps off and loose them,
smarter guys I knew would tape them on scope mid way on the elastic bands to keep them handy
Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Spike

I have something that might interest you.
It depends on whether you want to shoot your rifle or look at it.
I have a scope that I purchased new in 1974, a Jason, 3 x 9 about 40 mm fine cross hairs, still clear as a bell that you can have free for nothing, (maybe postage) but it won't hold its zero for more than 3 weeks. I was still on my rifle in 2007 after many years in the safe. I got it zeroed in and got a deer with it in 2007 but when I took it out for the late season in January 2008 it was 4 inches off. I shot about half a box to get it zeroed in again and took two more on January 18. I have more money now and since replaced it.
I'm serious, if you want it you can have it. Its older than your rifle but close.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Spike

A Weaver wide field would look good on that model 99 too. If you can find one
Old 05-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

I need something functional this will be a primary hutning rifle for Ohio.

I really appreciate the offer though.
-Jake
Old 05-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Spike

K
enjoy your "new" rifle.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

For me, I wouldn't think of the 80s as a period for guns. Not like it is some old historic bygone era. You could put most modern scopes on it, and look about the same as 1980.