Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
AR scope on a 30-06 Bolt action >

AR scope on a 30-06 Bolt action

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

AR scope on a 30-06 Bolt action

Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Spike

Default AR scope on a 30-06 Bolt action

Hey everyone, Im new to the hunting world and had a question about my set up. I bought a rifle a few years ago to go hunting. I went to a big chain outdoor store about a year ago and the employee sold me on a Nikon coyote special scope (3X9X40). It says its an AR .233 scope. The guy at the store knew it was for 30-06 and mounted it for me. Im worried that using the scope on a bigger rifle might be bad for it (recoil wise). Do you guys have any experience or knowledge on this? Like I said I'm new to this and don't have a lot of knowledge on this topic. I have a savage axis 30-06 with leopold mounts and rings if that helps any. Thanks all!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

no the scope will be find , there all built to handle about the same recoil, as they know folks swap them at times, the ONLY thing that might be an issue with using a .223 scope on a 30/06, will be if it has reticles designed to use a .223's ballistic's,(or a dial knob)
as the point of aim(ballistics's) will NOT be the same for a 30/06 as a .223, causing the adjustments for any special reticles or dial not match up with ballistics's on the 06 for you
recoil will NOT be an issue on the scope though, quite honestly the .223 will more likely have more of that due to its action blow back and all and being a semi auto, over most 06's being bolt or pump(and a few semi's) so scope is find on your 06 as far as recoil , no worries there!
you can contact Nikon too, and sure they will say the same to you, there a decent company to talk to!
Old 12-14-2017, 06:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
no the scope will be find , there all built to handle about the same recoil, as they know folks swap them at times, the ONLY thing that might be an issue with using a .223 scope on a 30/06, will be if it has reticles designed to use a .223's ballistic's,(or a dial knob)
as the point of aim(ballistics's) will NOT be the same for a 30/06 as a .223, causing the adjustments for any special reticles or dial not match up with ballistics's on the 06 for you
recoil will NOT be an issue on the scope though, quite honestly the .223 will more likely have more of that due to its action blow back and all and being a semi auto, over most 06's being bolt or pump(and a few semi's) so scope is find on your 06 as far as recoil , no worries there!
you can contact Nikon too, and sure they will say the same to you, there a decent company to talk to!
Thanks thats what I was hoping to hear. Didn’t want to drop money on a new scope.