Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Simmons Sale >

Simmons Sale

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Simmons Sale

Old 06-10-2017, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Simmons Sale

For those looking for a cheap scope--cheaper, Natchez Shooting Supplies send out an email sale bill this morning. Some are marked down to $34.99, there is also a range finder and trail camera on sale. I don't know about shipping costs.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't waste your money on that cheap junk, but rather save for a quality piece of equipment that will last a lifetime.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't trust my hunt to a $34.00 rifle scope. I haven't seen or been around a Simmons scope since they were taken over by Bushnell but I wouldn't have purchased one when Simmons made them because I didn't like the quality and if they are on sale for $34.00 they could have been much at the old price under Bushnell.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-10-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

My uncle put a Simmons on his Remington 742 in .30-06, and it has worked perfectly well over the past 17 years, now. I would personally go with a Bushnell Elite 3200, 3500, instead, but I'll never have anything bad to say about Simmons. I also understand that they make an excellent fixed-power slug hunting scope that's amazingly affordable and reliable.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by younggun308
My uncle put a Simmons on his Remington 742 in .30-06, and it has worked perfectly well over the past 17 years, now. I would personally go with a Bushnell Elite 3200, 3500, instead, but I'll never have anything bad to say about Simmons. I also understand that they make an excellent fixed-power slug hunting scope that's amazingly affordable and reliable.
How much ammo a year does your uncle shoot with that 742? I'd bet less than a box and maybe not even 10 shots a year if that scope has been on it for 17 years with no problems!
Old 06-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never owned a Simmons scope but I have had several Bushnell's. I still have one of their 1.5-4.5X32 that I took off a 30-06. It has been a good scope but was underpowered for a 30-06 so I put a 3-9X40 Leupold on it. The 1.5-4.5 would be a good blackpowder or short range scope. I once had an old 2.5 fixed power Bushnell, I liked it and it did not cause any problems. I would rather buy a used Leupold or find a good sale on the VX-1's then put much trust in a Simmons.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Simmons Aetech scope 15+ years ago for my Muzzleloader. It has been a good scope with no issues. I don't buys Simmons anymore as a prefer Swarovski now, but at the time it is what I could afford. I still use it today.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

3 simmons pro diamonds,all over 20 years old 0 issues.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have a MASSIVE plastic tub in my shop that I threw cheap junk scopes, & those Ironsiter or see-thru mounts in when taking them off to replace with something reliable. That tub held DOZENS of scopes & see thru mounts. On optics, you get what you pay for. There's no free ride or cheap bombproof optic. In MY opinion, having had my own gunsmith shop over 30 years, there's 2 kinds of cheap junk scopes. Those that have failed, and those that have yet to fail. Sure there's the possibility of a cheap scope just happening to have excellent tolerances, luck of the draw where it just so happens to have no tolerance stackup. However, the allowed total amount of tolerance accepted during manufacture/assembly is MUCH more than what a reputable scope will have. Now to be fair, I include most Simmons, the cheaper model lines of Bushnell (Sportview), just about all Tasco, Leapers, BSA, Barska, FM, etc. and so forth in the $20-$60 new range. The absolute most inexpensive I'd trust for decent scopes is the $100-$150 new range, which include Weaver Classic, Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell Trophy, and so forth. It's SOOO much better to save to put even a $100 scope on, in so many ways, it's inexcusable to throw a junk scope on. Not only quality of glass, coatings on glass, parts tolerences, ability to hold zero, consistent adjustment, anti fogging/waterproofing seals, basically every area is VASTLY different. If you buy a cheap scope, only to have it fail, usually at the most inopportune time (trophy buck/bull in the crosshairs), & have to replace it later with a decent scope. The old saying of "buy once, cry once applies COMPLETELY on optics!
Old 06-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm glad to see that some people have had good luck with Simmons! "Luck'" being the key word here!
I had a Simmons Aetech that failed on opening day of deer season. Fortunately for me, I did not have a shot that morning, and I caught the failure before shooting at live game!
It took me about 4 months to even get through to Simmons, and by the time I did get through, I didn't even want a replacement, all I wanted was to "vent!"
Long story, short, Simmons DID finally send me a NEW scope. I didn't want anything to do with it, and thought about selling it!
I could not in good conscience "pawn junk" off on someone else, and ended up throwing it in the garbage!