Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Rangefinder Distance on Soft Targets? >

Rangefinder Distance on Soft Targets?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Rangefinder Distance on Soft Targets?

Old 01-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Default Rangefinder Distance on Soft Targets?

Since many people on here own and have used range finders, I was wondering what range finder(s) everybody owns and how far does it (they) reliably range on reflective (hard) and non-reflective (soft, like animals) targets? This information could be useful for other members considering buying a range finder or upgrading on a range finder.

I'll go first. I have an older Bushnell rangefinder that was kicked down to me by an ex-FIL (he wasn't ex at the time). I'm guessing it cost around $200 or less but don't know for sure. He had already duct taped the battery compartment lid before I got it and I've had it for maybe 10 years so it's at least 10+ years old. It still works but I average maybe 300 yards ranging on deer and 500 yards on large oak trees, trucks, etc.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use an ancient Leica 1200 (I need an upgrade) I have ranged deer with it at 1210 yards, but in bad conditions (rain, snow, fog, into a low sun) it might not range one at 500.
RR
Old 01-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Zeiss PRF, I've ranged hay bales to 1100 and trucks even farther. I like it, the read out is easy to see.

I used the Bushnell Fusion in Nebraska this trip and it's pretty awesome for the price. It'll range to a mile with ease. If I were to get a combo unit it would be the Bushnell.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

As RR stated there are atmospheric conditions that will effect the ability to read accurately the distance everytime !

Lack of light + how steady you hold the ranefinder will effect relilability alone.

Soft, hard & "reflective" readings - Take the model number as the distance to reflective targets on a perfect day.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Zeiss 10x45 range finding bino's the glass is as good as it gets. They range equally far on soft and reflective targets 1400 yards. The only down side is I have trouble with the readout if not positioned just right.
I would have bought Leica's but at the time their function button was on the left side. As a right handed bow hunter this made useage difficult
Old 02-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Spike

Default I have a bushnell arc 1300

I love it anx i have ranged reflective signs out to 1500 yards and deer i have ranged to 650 .I really like iy with yhe opgion iy has a ballistics program you an program for gun and for your load it allows to use yards or metes inches or centimeter mil dot or moa .i think i paid 249.00 though ebay camera land hope this helps some one
Old 02-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 1300 that ranges out to 1500 for $250 + made by Bushnell.............Sounds like a good deal ?!?!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I believe he said 1500 yards was on reflective signs (I'm guessing road signs maybe). For deer, he said only 650 yards. That would be half of the listed # for the unit.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Half of the listed on deer is pretty common in the lower cost units. Most of them point this out in their owner's manual - they have reflective target range and non-reflective range. Higher dollar units tend to shrink that difference, at least on paper - but in reality, they'll range farther on reflectives than their manuals state, and WILL range non-reflectives at their published range, at least in "good ranging conditions."

I forget exact range, but I know I've ranged over 3000yrds with a Sig Kilo 2000, and have ranged coyotes in short, green wheat at 1700. Buying it for just under $400, I have to say this has been the best investment/value in optics I have ever made.

I have 2 Bushnell 1000's, one a Bushnell branded, one a Cabela's rebrand. Both will go out to 1,000yrds on buildings and treelines/hedgerows, maybe lucky to get that on a truck. I've pinged a lot of deer in the 600's, not sure I remember getting any deer at 800, EVER. In high light conditions, getting deer at 450 can be a problem. I got these free at work, and for a bow hunter or mid-range rifleman, I'd recommend them as high value.

I had a Leica 1200, traded towards a Leica 1600, very similar experience to Ridge Runner with these - awesome units, and WOULD have been the only unit I really recommend if it weren't for the Sig coming out.

Coyotes in grass are always a problem, and anything traveling either on the backside of a crown or on the top of a ridge where you can't tell whether your beam is hitting them or hitting the hill in front of or behind them. If you read 3 times, you'll often get 3 different distances in these instances, even with the higher dollar units.

I will admit, I already have plans for my next two units - the Sig Kilo 2400, and Bushnell 1-Mile. I have a line on the Bushnell 1-Mile for about half price with the Kestrel included, which is a price too good to pass up, so I'll probably pick one up mid-summer.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Spike

the longer the distance with a range finder harder more image vibration get amplified. I personally like canon for long distance. Their image stabilization is quite good.