Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
The best rifle scope for the money >

The best rifle scope for the money

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

The best rifle scope for the money

Old 12-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the response and explanation SD!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

How do I find the article you wrote? I'd like to read it. I'm also a Leupold fan like Topgun.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ezearl
I'm sure he's meaning external fogging of Leupolds lenses. Would be nice of Leupold. I don't know why it's not used but they must have their reasons.
Rain x anti fog works wonders just apply before a hunt and good to go ! I also am a leupold fan I have at least 6 or 7 maybe more.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't put Rain X on any scope of mine, especially one of my Leupolds. Can't be good for the lens coatings. You might email Leupold and ask.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

iv'e been doing it for years and no problems.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bdan68
How do I find the article you wrote? I'd like to read it. I'm also a Leupold fan like Topgun.
No problem, the article is here: ...Deleted by CalHunter.... I just hope a moderator does not remove it this time as I was just looking for comments and criticism on my writing and the write up of the scopes.

--

I've got a friend that applies rain x to his scopes but I would just prefer to buy one with a built in coating already as I agree with bdan68 as I thought this would damage the coating over time and could void the warranty claim.

I suggest you review the rules at this link.
http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/m...oom-rules.html

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-18-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Rule #'s 7 & 10--2nd Warning.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by StuartDell
No problem, the article is here: ...Deleted by CalHunter.... I just hope a moderator does not remove it this time as I was just looking for comments and criticism on my writing and the write up of the scopes.

--

I've got a friend that applies rain x to his scopes but I would just prefer to buy one with a built in coating already as I agree with bdan68 as I thought this would damage the coating over time and could void the warranty claim.
Here's the way I see it if you have a great scope that fogs up on you what good is it ? I buy leupold there one of the best I can afford if I have to replace a lens once in a while it's worth it. Not that I've had to. my LPS scope I've been applying rain x for 20 plus years and no problems at all.

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-18-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

[QUOTE=StuartDell;4285511]No problem, the article is here: ...Deleted by CalHunter... I just hope a moderator does not remove it this time as I was just looking for comments and criticism on my writing and the write up of the scopes.

--

I believe the Mod removed it because it appears to violate the rules of this website (see #10 on linking because you appear to be offering a service and every link within your website is a direct link to Amazon to sell that product). There are certain rules that members need to be aware of and if you haven't read them you may want to.

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-18-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-2016, 03:03 AM
Spike

Topgun,

That makes sense, however i bet i could find many other such websites linked on the forum.

Still now I'm aware and wont do it again
Old 01-18-2017, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to notice this thread so late but I will pass this info along anyway. In the April/May 2015 issue of Peterson's Hunting magazine Keith Wood did an article titled "Best Budget Glass". For the article he evaluated a Zeiss Terra, a Leupold VX-1, a Weaver Kaspa, a Bushnell Elete 3500 and a Burris Droptine. They were tested and evaluated in the areas of ergonomics, eye relief, mechanical quality, optical quality and durability and assigned a score--5 was a max in each area so a score of 25 would be perfect in all areas. The Zeiss scored 22.5, the Leuposd & Weaver both scored 22, the Bushnell scored 19 and the Burris scored 21. I though the tests were well thought out and should separate the sheep from the goats. In the durability test, the dial covers were removed and the scopes immersed in hot water then placed in a freezer, later mounted on a rifle and tested. All five scopes passed this test and received 5's. The Zeiss had the best optical quality, the Leupold was next followed by the Weaver, Bushnell and Burris in order. The Leupold would have come out on top overall except that the adjustments did not track precisely while "shooting the box" adjusting 4 inches each way so the VX-1 was rated a "3" in that area while the Weaver and Burris were perfect and the Zeiss scored "4.5". This was an interesting article and made me a little more impressed with the quality of these five scopes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.