Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Big eyes

Old 12-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like a lot of fun. I recently read one of Craig Boddington's books where he described hunting Coues deer and said it was one of his favorites. Whether you buy another spotting scope or buy an already paired one by Kowa or somebody, that sounds expensive but worth every penny if it makes the hunts more successful. Let us know what you figure out and how it works. And post some pictures if you get them.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen it done and the ones I saw and the guys I spoke to about it said "it's like looking through God's eyes". BUT the rig they had to mount them together looked pretty cumbersome and not something I would want to pack around. Also, I would imagine getting them set up would not only be a pain in the butt, focal and power set for each eye, but it would also seem, to me anyway, that it would be highly individualistic as well. You are also going to run into collimation difficulties when trying to pair 2 vari powered spotters. I know with my Swaro 65x I can look all day through it right eyed but if I try to use it left eyed with the same focal adjustments I get a headache pretty dern quick. Your results may vary. Alternatively, you may want to look into the newer lines of VR Bino's. in the 20x range.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
couldn't say.

you wouldn't by chance be an alias of outofsightt would you?
Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Why do you want to reinvent the wheel? There are plenty of good binoculars on the market, including the brand that your spotting scope is. I suspect Micky Mousing two spotting scopes together will result in spending a lot of money for a monstrosity that will be off balance and front heavy a pain to adjust and not good as binoculars or a spotting scope.

Doggy, I had the same thought.
Immediately jumping to the conclusion that someone is one of the folks that posts retarded stupidity just because it is on a subject that you know little to nothing about, even if it is an outlandish idea to you, is NOT what this site is about gentlemen. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question about an idea that has been done often out west in big open areas. There are drawbacks to the attempt of hashing 2 spotters together as I briefly put together in my answer for her but it's not an infeasible idea at all and it didn't deserve ridicule in any way whatsoever.

Sam AZ, you have my sincere apologies if those 2 offended you in any way. Sorry for the poor welcome you received and I do hope you stay with us here on HNI.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

These binoculars may be the ticket. They have them up to 40x 150. http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/...150_25x150mtsx

I have a pair of Fujinon 7x50 marine binos and they are the clearest glass I have ever looked through.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to hunt Couse some day. They sound like a very crafty adversary! Best of luck to the OP in her persuit.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed. I've read about coues deer hunters using 15x56 binoculars to spot animals and would think this is the next logical step in country where you're spotting as much as a mile or 2 away.