Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Don't buy from Nikon >

Don't buy from Nikon

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Don't buy from Nikon

Old 11-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Agreed. Not my first rodeo.

At any rate, he gets to decide how to proceed or not from here. If I were in his shoes, I would politely ask Bman940 if Bman940 could have that Nikon President's Customer Service Director email or mail him some form of lifetime warranty that covered his replacement binos, etc. As he pointed out, years down the road, everybody else might not be around.
NOT my first Rodeo either.

As a matter of fact I did ask BMAN940 in a PM(prior to all this going down mind you) to have his guy give me a call. That Nikon had my number. His reply was there was nothing to discuss. That I should be rest assured that Nikons No fault policy would protect my binoculars and that it was all a big mistake on the two CS personnel that I spoke with being misinformed.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

mt58---Just that one dumb sentence you posted puts you in a very bad light whether you said it in jest or not, as from now on everyone will question your integrity and rightfully so!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had one experience with Nikon CS. It was overwhelmingly positive. I had lost the lens covers for a discontinued Nikon Omega 3x9x40. I called CS asking about where to acquire another set.

Nikon sent me two sets free even though it was my fault.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by miketodd58
NOT my first Rodeo either.

As a matter of fact I did ask BMAN940 in a PM(prior to all this going down mind you) to have his guy give me a call. That Nikon had my number. His reply was there was nothing to discuss. That I should be rest assured that Nikons No fault policy would protect my binoculars and that it was all a big mistake on the two CS personnel that I spoke with being misinformed.
So, the entire thread and all your ranting was basically for nothing? For what it is worth I've got several pair of Nikon binos and a couple Nikon scopes. Never had a problem with any of them. But, I still prefer my Leicas when I'm serious about glassing.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
So, the entire thread and all your ranting was basically for nothing? For what it is worth I've got several pair of Nikon binos and a couple Nikon scopes. Never had a problem with any of them. But, I still prefer my Leicas when I'm serious about glassing.
It would appear that there has been a concerted effort to shoot the messenger rather than shoot the message here.

Ive own (owned) many Nikons products over my time and not had any trouble out of them and been plenty happy with them up till now. (Sans one scope and this pair of Binos.) The Scope took about 3 months to get back. These Binos took almost 6 weeks to get back.

Nikons CS has left me extremely bitter to say the least. I don't get this sort of confusion or lip service out of Leupold on the few times I have had issues with their products as well. As a matter of fact they have gone above and beyond trying to help. Maybe someone can do a search on my name and come up with that.

Last edited by miketodd58; 11-10-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

It would appear that there has been a concerted effort to shoot the messenger rather than shoot the message here.

Ive own (owned) many Nikons products over my time and not had any trouble out of them and been plenty happy with them up till now. (Sans one scope and this pair of Binos.) The Scope took about 3 months to get back. These Binos took almost 3 months. These took right at 6 weeks.

Nikons CS has left me extremely bitter to say the least. I don't get this sort of confusion or lip service out of Leupold on the few times I have had issues with their products as well. As a matter of fact they have gone above and beyond trying to help. Maybe someone can do a search on my name and come up with that.

Actually here is a CS story I told about Leupold last year.

I sent a set of QRW rings back just last year for "warranty" repair.

They wound up sending me a whole new set but it was the wrong ones. It was the other quick release with the posts. I called them and they said sorry for the mix up that they would send the right ones out. I said what do I do with these? They said keep them and mount a Leupold Scope on them.

I may just do that!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a pair of travelite 8x25 that had a lens turn last year. I called and they said send them in. This pair honestly had not been used much at all, not sure why the lens came loose it wasn't like they were abused or handled rough at all.

So I sent them in, they reported back to me that the bino's were dropped which caused the lens to come loose and I could pay $65 to have it repaired. It got me mad - mainly because I knew they had not been dropped. If it had, ok.. I'll pay to repair them. But they hadn't. We went back and forth a couple times... they agreed to send me a new pair. Bottom line, they made me happy, so I can't complain.

They are great little bino's btw... I love them. Light, compact, and crystal clear. I have 2 pairs, one is my daily user that are probably 15yrs old and still going strong. The new pair Nikon sent I gave to my son. They'll get used a handful of times each year as he doesn't hunt nearly as much as me.

Thinking about this, I never did ask about the warranty on the new pair. Honestly, I'm not that worried about it.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:06 AM
Spike

My dad uses Nikon Binos, I really like it, but they really don't have lifetime warranty anymore, so choosing now fro myself I'm not going to purchase Nikon...
Old 12-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Spike

Ray, Not really sure what you mean by Nikon's bino's not having a lifetime warranty?
Have you checked out Nikon's No Fault Policy?
I think a much better chance of being thankful I have a poilcy that cover's me doing something by accident to my bino's then maybe something 30 years from now.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 5 legged dog...

I deal with customer service or customer support quite often, totally different industry and function, but the interworkings of "I have a problem, can you help me fix it?" relationship with customers is pretty universal.

After I read this thread, I was left with this thought:

It's great when people try to help with a problem, but a dog can't walk with 5 legs. Sometimes, more people working on a problem isn't really better.

I have the luxury of not really caring, but without having access to their PM's or the emails and calls between either of them and the Nikon mothership, it seems like Bman tried to help inform miketodd that the CS rep he initially spoke with was incorrect. In fairness, that probably should have been the end of his involvement. Unless he's trying to pull some strings and deviate from standard company policy - that a lifetime warranty converts to a 6month policy on warranty replacement items - there really shouldn't have been any more involvement at that point from him.

I don't personally care if the guy made a tongue-in-cheek joke about a "intentional accident," it's a long ways between joking about that and actually trying to defraud a company, and the thread until that point had no information (maybe bman did in PM?) to suggest that the warrantiable issue was something a guy could purposefully replicate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.