Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Don't buy from Nikon >

Don't buy from Nikon

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Don't buy from Nikon

Old 11-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
All I can say is, every firearm I own that wears glass has Nikon on them. Only had to deal with CS once in 20 years. Scope started fogging over. It was on my .500 S&W so I figured it was recoil related. Lord knows that thing packs a punch. They sent me a brand spanking new one no questions asked. Sent a little apology letter for the trouble I had had with their product. I don't remember exactly what went wrong with the scope, something to do with a cracked housing or something I think but they never tried to claim "owner abuse" like MOST optics companies try to do to weasel out of a warranty. Been there done that.

BTW miketodd, That little screen shot you put up really doesn't back up your claim. That's just one lacky saying "all I can tell you is that your replacement will have a 6 month warranty". As bman stated, he is probably on the lowest rung and doesn't understand. You want to burn a company on the cross, you may want to publish a little more facts and proof before going with a public burning. That company may want to strike a match under YOUR feet for publishing unproven statements.
That's not the only one I have, I have another one that basically says the same thing, as you can see I requested a phone call and a female supervisor from CS called me and told me the end of service life story over the phone and said the same thing George said that Nikons stance was that the Binos had seen the End of their life and there fore the end of the warranty had been honored. That these Binos would carry a 6 month warranty. I tried to reason with the woman and explain to her " do you understand how unreasonable that sounds? To effectively cancel out a lifetime warranty by replacing a pair of binoculars with a new pair that does not carry the same warranty" ?? She said that was all they were going to Do! That that was their policy.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the lifetime warranty turning into a "product lifetime warranty" is common to present times. I have bought thousands of dollars worth of products from Cabelas over the years. Customer service was always first class and kept me coming back. I never had any issue of returns for any reason. A couple of years ago I had a Cabelas brand camo packable rain suit which was mid price range ($250- $300) start to fail. I contacted them and got the same story that the lifetime warranty really means product lifetime. That was the first time I ever had them pull that so I went up the line through management until I finally got them to refund money as a credit to be applied to an upgraded product. My own opinion is his lifetime warranty business was something many did during the era when customer service was the in thing. Now years later it doesn't appear to matter probably as a result of many of the proud manufacturers being bought out by mega companies who just don't care.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:03 AM
Spike

Mike, Not sure what else I can to help you out? I straightened out the warranty misinformation you were given and apologized. I had hoped that would be enough?
Going back through some old posts I stumbled on this one which makes me wonder....
Nikon, again, I do not work directly for them, goes to great lengths to try and have excellent CS, it is something they take pride in and constantly try to improve. This mistake will be passed down the line so that hopefully it never happens again.

miketodd58
Fork Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealboy View Post
Odd title i suppose, but im trying to ask is, with improvements in technology and coatings, im wondering if my 14 yo scope is still as bright and clear as newer less expensive scopes. For example, scopes in the $400 range

Mine is a 2.5-9x 42
The short and skinny is NO.

Sadly a lot of my aging fleet of Swarovski , leica and Kahles scopes and Binoculars simply cannot keep up,with today's $400 and $500 quality optics from such makers as Leupold, Ziess and Nikon, the process of Mukticoatings on the lens has gotten so refined that the quality in optic quality has jumped measurably.

That's not to say that the optics are not still rugged and dependable. They are.

I MAY have to have a catotrophic accident or two on a couple of models and test the waters on the warranty and see what happens and see if I can get a "upgrade"
miketodd58 is offline Report Post
Old 11-07-2015, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Whoa! Now that is an interesting post to say the least! One that makes you say hmmmmmm.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

See what happens miketodd when you go for a public burning? Looks like you burned yourself! Optics aren't like Craftsman tools. A hammer is pretty much just a hammer, a wrench is pretty much just a wrench and neither really benefit much from technological advancement. Optics on the other hand are always improving things like light transmission and focal stability. It's pretty unreasonable to expect a company to replace your outdated 20 year old optics with brand new technology for the rest of your life. I'm sure there is something in the warranty stating such. Product lifetime expectancy should be understood by any reasonable person. Railing against Nikon because you decided to "test" that warranty by screwing up your old Binochs could very well land you in jail as well as a huge defamation lawsuit by an industry leading company. You may wish to think about that in the future.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Super, I suspect we have seen the last of Miketodd. And good for bman940 for his posts.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Spike

Thank you, guy's for the support. All I tried to do was get clarification for MT and figured that would be enough. Helping other guy's out in different situation's has always ended in Thank you and then we all move on. I came out of retirement to do work for Nikon 5+ years ago, because I had been using their product's for 20 plus years and always treated very well I felt it was a no brainer for me. Get to shoot a lot, meet great folks and felp a few out. Win Win.
Life goes on, if any of you ever have a Nikon question or problem please don't hesitate to PM me. Thank you again for the support.
Bart
Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very interesting thread. FYI my buddy out in Wyoming just sent in an old pair of Steiners in August for refurbishing and he asked that they do what was needed and to send him the bill. These were at least 20 year old binos. A short time later a package from Steiner arrived and inside was a brand new pair of 10x50 Steiner Military/Marine poroprism binos with a carry case to replace the old binos at no charge. Since John has a real nice pair of Swaros, he gave me the Steniers and when I looked them up on the Steiner website the suggested retail price is $660! I used them the two months I was out in Wyoming and have now ordered a new shoulder strap/case system to protect them when I have them on out in the field. They are absolutely fantastic, as is that company for what they did.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I see on TV that they do lifetime no fault warranty. it in all their commercials on the outdoor channel. BTW I like Nikon products too. I am gradually moving over to them as needed for all my optic needs

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-08-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I think the lifetime warranty turning into a "product lifetime warranty" is common to present times. I have bought thousands of dollars worth of products from Cabelas over the years. Customer service was always first class and kept me coming back. I never had any issue of returns for any reason. A couple of years ago I had a Cabelas brand camo packable rain suit which was mid price range ($250- $300) start to fail. I contacted them and got the same story that the lifetime warranty really means product lifetime. That was the first time I ever had them pull that so I went up the line through management until I finally got them to refund money as a credit to be applied to an upgraded product. My own opinion is his lifetime warranty business was something many did during the era when customer service was the in thing. Now years later it doesn't appear to matter probably as a result of many of the proud manufacturers being bought out by mega companies who just don't care.

so essentially when you pay extra for warranty , you pay for nothing. I will pay for quality but offers of warranty mean absolutely nothing to me. you can put a turd in a box and slap a warranty on it but you still have a turd in a box

that said I have been very pleased with swarovskis cus service

Last edited by kidoggy; 11-08-2015 at 06:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.