Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Don't buy from Nikon >

Don't buy from Nikon

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Don't buy from Nikon

Old 11-06-2015, 04:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Who is Liz? The woman who was married to Mike Todd until he died in a plane crash, Elizabeth Taylor!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:08 AM
Spike

I am not doubting you, I just saw your post and knew from my experiences that what you were told was a mistake. I am just trying to help you out not incite you to be more angry with Nikon. Correcting a mistake so that you you will be more comfortable. I don't work in CS for Nikon, I'm do freelance PR/Event's for them, but when I see an opportunity to help someone out, like yourself, just by getting clarification and passing it along, I do it. I had hoped it would make you feel better about Nikon replacing your 20 year old bino's with a new pair. As always, anyone have Nikon related question's I am happy to help, if I don't know the answer I'm sure I know someone who does.

Last edited by bman940; 11-06-2015 at 06:13 AM. Reason: error
Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bman940
I am not doubting you, I just saw your post and knew from my experiences that what you were told was a mistake. I am just trying to help you out not incite you to be more angry with Nikon. Correcting a mistake so that you you will be more comfortable. I don't work in CS for Nikon, I'm do freelance PR/Event's for them, but when I see an opportunity to help someone out, like yourself, just by getting clarification and passing it along, I do it. I had hoped it would make you feel better about Nikon replacing your 20 year old bino's with a new pair. As always, anyone have Nikon related question's I am happy to help, if I don't know the answer I'm sure I know someone who does.
Well here is my screen shot from Nikon.

I have spoken with two different people at Nikon and they both tell me that my binoculars were at END OF LIFE and that they were being replaced with these new ones that will carry a 6 month warranty. SO MUCH FOR A LIFETIME WARRANTY. Apparently in their eyes its only the lifetime of the product. NOt my lifetime.

As I stated earlier I was deligted to hear that they were replacing my Binoculars with a new pair. I said that before. What I have a problem with is them cancelling out my lifetime warranty with the replacement pair and only giving me a 6 month warranty when I should still have a LIFETIME WARRANTY that I paid for upfront.

So I will be selling a BRAND NEW Pair of Nikon ATB Prostaff 8x25 Binoculars and replacing them with a pair of Leupolds and supporting Leupold from now on. And I will be sure to tell EVERYONE that can read to buy from Leupold because this is the dumbest move NIKON could have made.

Last edited by miketodd58; 11-26-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like we have a guy that works for Nikon that apparently doesn't know their Lifetime Warranty. Why not call Nikon and go up the ladder to get this straightened out instead of dissing Nikon all over the net for something that may well be a simple employee error that needs correcting.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Looks like we have a guy that works for Nikon that apparently doesn't know their Lifetime Warranty. Why not call Nikon and go up the ladder to get this straightened out instead of dissing Nikon all over the net for something that may well be a simple employee error that needs correcting.
Well if you read my story you will see that I did just that.

If you have ever tried to contact Nikon its not just as easy as picking up the phone and talking to someone like it is with Leupold.

They want you to submit a email to the correct department and have them contact you back.

George was not even in repairs. He was in CS. You can't even talk to anyone in repairs. He was a go between. He had me do everything through the automated system as you can see through the email. When I talked to him last he said to sign in through the automated system and ask my questions there. You can see I asked to have someone call me. I had someone in the head of Customer service call me about that (per my request) and she told me the same story that the Binoculars were at "end of life" and that they were being replaced with binoculars that were only going to carry a 6 month warranty. I asked her what happened to my lifetime warranty. She said it was not for the lifetime of the user but the lifetime of the product. And the product I had sent them had seen the end of its life and was being replaced with a brand new pair. But the new pair would only carry a 6 month warranty.

So its not really a lifetime warranty like Leupold and and Swarovski has. Their products they run out of parts and can't fix it? You may get a new one.. but it carries the same warranty. A lifetime warranty.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Spike

Believe me, I have spoken to Nikon folk's in NY not the CS Dept. in Ca and let them know of this error and I feel I corrected it by saying that the new bino's will indeed be covered under a full warranty and it was a mistake that anything different was passed on. Not sure what more I can do here?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just buy a Swarovski and be done with it! :-)
Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by miketodd58
Well if you read my story you will see that I did just that.

If you have ever tried to contact Nikon its not just as easy as picking up the phone and talking to someone like it is with Leupold.

They want you to submit a email to the correct department and have them contact you back.

George was not even in repairs. He was in CS. You can't even talk to anyone in repairs. He was a go between. He had me do everything through the automated system as you can see through the email. When I talked to him last he said to sign in through the automated system and ask my questions there. You can see I asked to have someone call me. I had someone in the head of Customer service call me about that (per my request) and she told me the same story that the Binoculars were at "end of life" and that they were being replaced with binoculars that were only going to carry a 6 month warranty. I asked her what happened to my lifetime warranty. She said it was not for the lifetime of the user but the lifetime of the product. And the product I had sent them had seen the end of its life and was being replaced with a brand new pair. But the new pair would only carry a 6 month warranty.

So its not really a lifetime warranty like Leupold and and Swarovski has. Their products they run out of parts and can't fix it? You may get a new one.. but it carries the same warranty. A lifetime warranty.
Well that's great for you. You are being hand feed one piece of information. While I on the other hand the direct consumer have in my possession a pair of binos with written documentation that shows they only have a 6 month warranty on them. Someone is either lying, ,is mis informed or trying to sugar coat the pig at Nikon.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

I think you should go PM with Brman940 and make arrangements to forward copies of your emails to him so he can forward/show them to his contact. If I was the President of a company, I would darn sure want to know about something like this and have the opportunity to square it away. A good company values its' reputation with customers and strives to furnish quality customer service, especially under warranty. The replacement binos and lifetime binos for you are dirt cheap compared to the value of you bragging about Nikon's awesome customer service for the rest of your life and your son/daughter continuing to brag after you pass and will the binos to them. Besides, as you get older, your budget for toys tends to grow and they really, really, really want to keep you as a customer then.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is, every firearm I own that wears glass has Nikon on them. Only had to deal with CS once in 20 years. Scope started fogging over. It was on my .500 S&W so I figured it was recoil related. Lord knows that thing packs a punch. They sent me a brand spanking new one no questions asked. Sent a little apology letter for the trouble I had had with their product. I don't remember exactly what went wrong with the scope, something to do with a cracked housing or something I think but they never tried to claim "owner abuse" like MOST optics companies try to do to weasel out of a warranty. Been there done that.

BTW miketodd, That little screen shot you put up really doesn't back up your claim. That's just one lacky saying "all I can tell you is that your replacement will have a 6 month warranty". As bman stated, he is probably on the lowest rung and doesn't understand. You want to burn a company on the cross, you may want to publish a little more facts and proof before going with a public burning. That company may want to strike a match under YOUR feet for publishing unproven statements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.