Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Low light binoculars >

Low light binoculars

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Low light binoculars

Old 11-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Spike

Default Low light binoculars

I want a set of binoculars that I can see good in the woods, dawn and evening. I'm not rich, so under $200 roughly. I might be able to go higher, but at this time I can't.

Last edited by Roadapple1; 11-14-2015 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Change wording
Old 11-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Forget it! The better optics are in low light the more expensive they are. At what you have to spend you will not get good low light optics, you won't even get good mid day binoculars..
Old 11-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old timer is spot on. You won't get much for under $100 that performs well in low light.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Your asking for a lot.

Porro Prism Binos are going to offer you alot more clarity and light transmission than a set of Roof Prism. Downside is they are generally not as rugged nor are they as waterproof.

This is by far the best bang for your buck.

Amazon Amazon

As far as Roof Prism I have a pair of these and they are Pretty decent optics for the scratch. They are no $2800 Swarovski but you could do a heck of a lot worse for your budget by going to wally world and buying off the rack Tasco's or Bushnells.

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Under $100 is kind of tough to do for low light. Are you sitting in a tree stand, etc. with these binoculars or hiking.still hunting?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Forget it! The better optics are in low light the more expensive they are. At what you have to spend you will not get good low light optics, you won't even get good mid day binoculars..
+1

Sorry....................

Although those are a few good recommendations mentioned by 58 above.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good binos like the OP is wanting start at about $500 and go up from there. Good luck if you can't spend more than $100!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
+1

Sorry....................

Although those are a few good recommendations mentioned by 58 above.
Thanks,

I was not trying to imply that those Binos were ideal for low light. Not by a long shot.

I was simply trying to give him the best value for the money.

So many people have $50 dollars to spend and go to Wally World and buy really crappy Binos and get a bad taste in their mouth about cheap optics when the truth is $100 can buy you a pretty decent pair of clear optics.

Heck a set of those Porro Prism Leupolds are clearer and Sharper than the Nikons I bought 20 years ago. And I don't remember what I paid for them but it was top dollar at the time.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Spike

Midway has vortex doamondbacks on sale. 100 dollars of. Get a pair of 10x42 for 129 and free shipping. They should get you by. That last 15 minutes will cost a whole lot more. I dont like skinning deer at night anyway. The first 15 minutes is before legal shooting time.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

the light game on optic's is about pupil size and objective size and then power of magnification?
simple example is a say a pair of 7x42 VS 10x42
the 7 will see longer in lower light
now if you took a 7x24 VS a 7x42
the 7x42 will win buy a BUNCH here
larger objectives(and yes quality of glass matters too)
but larger objectives tend to ALWAYS do better in lower light by how light works.

SO< when your looking at binoculars
for low light, lower power and larger objectives are what you want
go to a store and LOOK thru possible one's your interested in
and then to check glass, keep a VERY close eye on edge to edge clarity/focus
cheap glass will NOT be the same from edge to edge
on JUNK its very noticeable, once you learn to look for it
better glass has less and less distortion edge to edge

NOW if you spend a LOT of time looking thru optic's
high end glass is worth every penny, will save you a LOT of migraines and eye strain, due to the clarity they offer, even if you don't see it, cheap glass, you might not notice at first but your eye's will and you will get head aches
if you only look thru them off and on to scan from time to time, HIGH end glass is a waste of your money MOST times(will always be GREAT optic's, but just NOT needed )

I sold optic's for a LONG time
so this is my advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.