Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Weatherby Vanguard .257 Wby Magnum scope >

Weatherby Vanguard .257 Wby Magnum scope

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Weatherby Vanguard .257 Wby Magnum scope

Old 10-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weatherby Vanguard .257 Wby Magnum scope

Looking to put a scope on my Weatherby Vanguard .257 Wby magnum. Rifle will be used mostly for whitetail & antelope, would like to put a nice scope on it that I'll be able to clearly see & shoot 500 yds. Are the Leopold CDS riflescopes good for this or will I have a problem since I live in VA (where I'd like it calibrated from Leopold) & would be hunting in the mid-west at different elevations?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best way would be to have "more than one" set of turrets made.

The main one for where you most often hunt, and then run a program for the other areas you hunt.

Some guys will tape that "cheat sheet" on the stock just below the comb.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Sheridan. If I didn't go that route & just went w/ a VX3 (I'm a HUGE Leupold fan), what would be a good reticle for up to 4-500 yd. shots? I assume something in a 3.5-10x40 or 4.5-14x40 would suffice?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool,

Within 300 or so yards, (depending on how much you shoot) a BDC reticle is fine, but IMO at 400-500 yards you need to dial that.

Someone said it on a different thread; why have a fixed powered scope now-a-days, just keep your scope on the lowest power and turn it up when necessary !

Determine what low magnification you might consider as close range and afford yourself as much range as you can on the high end.

I use a 4X - 16X and it's a 44 MM (better for gathering light at dawn & dusk).

That is barring that you are "willing" to spend $3,000 on just better optics.

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-28-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
Looking to put a scope on my Weatherby Vanguard .257 Wby magnum. Rifle will be used mostly for whitetail & antelope, would like to put a nice scope on it that I'll be able to clearly see & shoot 500 yds. Are the Leopold CDS riflescopes good for this or will I have a problem since I live in VA (where I'd like it calibrated from Leopold) & would be hunting in the mid-west at different elevations?
I'm with you, love the CDS system from Leupold,

I would suggest calling Leupold and asking the, what they advise. I would think one set of turrets would be close enough and not be that big of a issue for big game,

IF your pocket book can take the hit the VX6 3x18x44mm would be my choice for that rifle with the CDS feature. Has everything. You really don't need the firedog unless you plan on going bear hunting or hog hunting. The firedog only comes in handy against dark colored animals. Against deer they are sort of meh,

The 3x18 covers a good range of power. I can't imagine using 18x but it's there if you need it.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why do the CDS systems have gradient marks on the reticle? I thought that when you dialed in how many yds. you just held dead on (as in a standard Duplex reticle would be fine). Are those gradients for if you don't want to adjust for yardage? Thinking about a VX3 CDS 4.5-14 x either 40 or 50 mm obj. lens, what obj. lens do you think? Is $500 a good deal for the VX3 CDS 4.5-14x40 scope?

Last edited by coolbrze0; 10-30-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

"......if you don't want to adjust for yardage ? "

Exactly, or you don't have time to !

"......either 40 or 50 mm obj. lens, what obj. lens do you think? "

The larger the objective, the more light it "gathers", but the higher you need to mount it.

"Is $500 a good deal for the VX3 CDS 4.5-14x40 scope?"

I would recommend taking that deal.

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-31-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Roger that, makes sense if you don't have time to adjust the dial for known yardage; as in the animal is about to bolt. Most of my shots here in VA are w/in 200 yds. but want the ability to shoot much further, 4-500 on deer & antelope when I go out West. Shot an elk at 347 yds last year in MT w/ my .338 Win Mag, glad I practiced out to 400 w/ it... What would be the best reticle for that? Don't think I need the firedot, have that on one of my ARs for predator hunting & love it for that application, but prob. not for this rifle.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

One more thing, will a standard Duplex reticle be to thick for long range shooting or would a fine Duplex be a better reticle? Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing a fine duplex anyway...