Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

New scope

Old 12-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New scope

Just purchased a Tikka T3 Lite & need to outfit it w/ a good quality scope. I'm a big fan of the Leupold VX IIIs in 3.5-10x40 but wanted to see if there's another scope in a relatively comparable price range of $5-$600 that's just as good or better? I hear the Zeiss Conquests are pretty nice...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

I happen to be a huge Leupold fan myself, owning over 20 at this time. I also own three Zeiss Conquests and they, to my eyes, are the brightest and clearest scopes I own. Now depending on what your needs are; range shooting, hunting, hunting in very low light ??, my suggestion would change.

It's tough, IMHO, to beat the Zeiss in it's price range. But even though it may be a bit brighter and sharper than similar priced leupold models, in my case wanting a hunting scope with the best low light performance I can find, I'd say to look very hard at the Leupold VX-R line-up. Nothing else I own comes close to the very low light performance of the two VX-Rs I own; one a Firedot #4 reticle and the other a Firedot Duplex. My 2nd best low light scopes, performance -wise are my two Leupold 30mm European models with #4 reticles (very similar to the newer VX-Rs).

Hunting in very low light has a lot to do with the reticle as well as the overall brightness of the scope, especially if aiming at a dark target such as a bear or hog in very low light. With less bold reticles, you can see your quarry, but lose the reticle on a dark colored target. With the VX-R that will not happen; simply said, if you can see your target, then you can get a well-aimed shot on it.

If extreme low light performance is not needed, I'd say to give the Zeiss a try. I've read of very few that don't consider the Zeiss the best value for your $$ and I am in agreement.

Last edited by Tnhunter444; 12-19-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I'd honestly advise you to wait, unless you want to use the rifle for an upcoming hunt. SHOT Show is in January, and that's when most of the new lines are released. Even if you don't get a brand new release, those new models may lead to some existing models dropping from the $600-$1000 range down into the range you're looking to spend.

Conquests are always a good bet.

Minox is updating their ZA5 line to a ZA5 HD, with Schott glass and USA manufacture - those are being released next month. Comparable to the power you're looking at is the ZA5 HD 3-15x42 SF, ZA5 HD 3-15x50 SF, and ZA5 HD 3-15x56 SF.

I have plenty of experience with the previous generation ZA5 and will always recommend them. The HD version should be up there with the Conquests. I have a suspicion that the only differences between the Minox ZA5 HD and the Conquest HD5 is aesthetics, but I can't confirm this.

Also on my list of recommendations are Nikon Monarch 3 rifle scopes, but opinions of that scope vary greatly depending on who you ask. I have a lot of customers who are very happy with them, others wouldn't give them to an enemy. I personally have never had a reason to complain about them.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OpticsCamp
I'd honestly advise you to wait, unless you want to use the rifle for an upcoming hunt. SHOT Show is in January, and that's when most of the new lines are released. Even if you don't get a brand new release, those new models may lead to some existing models dropping from the $600-$1000 range down into the range you're looking to spend.

Opticscamp is spot on. Unless you need it for this season I would wait untill 2014. Lots of distributers will be offered Shot show specials and will be clearing out 2013 over runs. There will be some pretty hefty closeouts for some optics if you are willing to compromise on some things here and there such as eye releif, finish, power range, reticle choice. Might not get the EXACT fit you are looking for but you might find something really close and save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can get a new Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 right now for $375, should I jump on it?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
As a huge Conquest fan and owner of 4, I'd buy the Leupy now at that price.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
Yes! Jump on it quickly.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

Yes that is a great price.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You probably have all the info now that you need to make your decision .... but late as it may be here's my $.02. You will not go woprng with any top end Leupold. And I am a big fan of the Conquest line too. Obviously your are not short changing your rifle and that is what I will always advise .... buy the very best scope you can afford.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jump on the Leupold and enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.