Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Spotting Scope >

Spotting Scope

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Spotting Scope

Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default Spotting Scope

What brand of spotting scope is of decent quality and wont break the bank? Also what power would you recomend?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Spike

I use VORTEX for all my Optics..Lifetime warranty
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Spike

Like you, I was in search of a decent spotting scope that didn't break the bank. Unfortunately, I first bought a really inexpensive model, only to turn around later and spend more on a better scope. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for.

I now have a Leopold Ventana 20-60x80 angled spotting scope and I'm happy with it. It's no Swarovski, but you won't have to sell a kidney to buy it.

http://www.leupold.com/observation/s...otting-scopes/

Few points I like about this scope:
  • I like the angled viewer - makes it easier to use when wearing a hat
  • With 60x magnification I can clearly see a bullet hole in a target out to 300 yards (this is the furthest target I've looked at, it might do well beyond that)
  • Comes with decent tripod and case
  • Seems very rugged
  • Leopold Lifetime Warranty
  • You can find one new for about $400

As I mentioned, I had a less expensive ($150) Simmons before buying this and the difference is substantial. The Simmons was clear out to about 125-150 yards, whereas the Leopold is clear at twice that distance. The Leopold is a better built and more rugged and durable. I would consider this Leopold an entry level spotting scope.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy it once.

Remember...............measure twice, cut once.

Lifetime warranty sounds good too, huh ! LOL
Old 03-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

The Celestron Regal M2 is the best value for price you're going to find. The predecessor (Regal F-ED) was extremely popular with birdwatchers - who are very picky about optics - and it looks like the M2 will be as well.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I guess the one I compare it to is the Vortex Viper, about the same price and similar features. own a Vortex rifle scope that I'm happy with. I also own a Celestron telescope (star gazing) that I really like. I suspect you can't go wrong either way, but I wonder I the Vortex might be more durable?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

what are you using it for, i recently got a celestron for the shooting range and im pretty happy with it for the price