Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Western field 25-7x20 scope >

Western field 25-7x20 scope

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Western field 25-7x20 scope

Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Spike

Default Western field 25-7x20 scope

What are your guys is thoughts on a western field 25-7x20 scope for deer hunting
Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Spike

And i for got to say this scope is on my great grand fathers 3o-06 that i got given to me and i just dont know anything about it i know he loved the gun and scope and used it every deer season but thats it so if you no any thing about them or have used them plz let me know

Last edited by big game hunter 94; 10-15-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I assume you mean 2.5-7 X 20???!!! If it's quite old, the glass may be "only ok" but not great. The usage would be dependent upon range, terrain, hunting style, quarry, etc. The variable power limits 0f 2-7 may be fine, but the 20mm objective may be limiting at low light times. If you can still see through it ok (especially at dawn and dusk), give it a try. It may be ok...at least for awhile. Not sure who the manufacturer was.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Spike

Now is it bigger than a 3x9 cause i dont know scopes that well
Old 10-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Western Field is a "brand name" of Montgomery Ward's. Montgomery Ward's was once a player in the hunting gear "mail order catalogue" business, similar to Sears and Roebuck back then whose brand was J.C Higgins, if I recall correctly. The firearms and scopes, rods and reals etc. were all made on contract. And were basic, inexpensive gear. I am 99.99% sure neither are in the firearms/scope business these days. And have not been for quiet a while. This scope could have been made by any of the scope makers of the times. It would have been an entry level grade. I know of no way to know for sure where it was made.

The "2.5-9" means that it is a "variable" ..... that is adjustable from 2.5 power to 9 power. A "3-9" means that the lowest power is 3X. There is practically no appreciable difference between 2.5-9 and 3-9 when variable scope it comes to use for hunting.

The "20" indicates that the forward end is 20 mm in diameter. This is relatively small, and is not conducive to being able to perform well in low light. I agree with "bugsNbows" .... the glass used in this scope is "low end".

But being that it was your great-grandfather's, I say take it to the range to see if it holds "zero". Then view through it very late one afternoon. That'll let you know if it is not "broken" and give you a good idea of how it does in low light. If you find it satisfactory, use it. If not , save up as much as you can then buy the best scope that you can afford.

Last edited by Mojotex; 10-17-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Spike

You can see fine with it at sun up and i hunted with it last year and dident know it had a zoom tell like two days ago and it has held its zero for two years thanks for the info helped a lot and just so you know very new to scopes