Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Burris or Bushnell ??? >

Burris or Bushnell ???

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Burris or Bushnell ???

Old 11-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Burris or Bushnell ???

I am considering buying a new scope for my .270WSM. I am soon to be 70yrs old, and need the "brightest" and "clearest" scope for the early morning, and late afternoon hour hunts when light is at its dimmest. My eyes do not do very good in dim light conditions when hunting is at its best, because of cataract surgeries, and glaucoma damage.

The two scopes I am considering are:

1) Burris Black Diamond , 30mm tube, 4x16x50
and
2) Bushnell 6500 Elite, 30mm tube, 2,5x16x50

The difference in power range makes no difference to me, I am just interested in brightness, and clarity.

Have any of you had any experience with these ???
Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have 3 burris scopes. my 50mm lets in ample amounts of light...very clear..all work well, even when i droped the sob on the driveway, they said it was under warranty send it back. i was sold on burris after that. my new one came 3 days later...just intime for a weekend of sight in and the next weekend season opener.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flip a coin...they are both good choices.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Spike

I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50mm and it is GREAT. I bought it back when the Elite 4200 was the best Bushnell had, and I can't believe how bright and clear it is.

Two years ago I was sitting in a tripod stand hunting elk with less than 5 mins until the end of legal shooting time. It was overcast so it was very dark for hunting. I heard something moving, but couldn't really see to the end of one of the shooting lanes because it was getting too dark so I brought up the scope to have a look. To my surprise there was a heard of elk crossing the lane about 200 yds away that I couldn't see with the naked eye, but was nice and clear in the scope. No bulls crossed (or crossed before I brought up the scope), but I would have been able to take a shot if one did.

4 people have bought Busnell Elite scopes after looking through mine at dusk so I don't think you would be disappointed with it. I've never had any experience with the Burris, so I can't comment on it but the Elite's are a GREAT scope.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a Burris guy, but I use their Signature Select level (all but one 4X-16X).

Biggest bang for the buck IMO.

Sorry, no experience with Bushnell.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys !!!