Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
low-end spotting scopes >

low-end spotting scopes

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

low-end spotting scopes

Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default low-end spotting scopes

My dad is going to be buying a spotting scope and is going to be spending up to $100. I have explained to him and he understands that a $100 spotting scope is probably not going to be great quality. But that's what he can afford. He just wants it to watch the bald eagles that nested across the lake behind the house and knows that a junk scope will be at least a little better than none at all. He found a 20-60X60 Tasco online, and I talked him out of it. I started looking around and found a Barska 20-50X50 for about $80 that had better online reviews and seemed to be put together much better. Anybody have any input or suggestions? $100!

rw
Old 07-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take at look here for a few more ideas;

http://www.opticsplanet.net/spotting...y-price-2.html
Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted a scope just for range work out to 100 yards. The first <$100 scope I got could not me see bullet holes in paper at that distance. My budget being what it was at the time I looked on ebay and found a used Japanese Bushnell for less than $50. For just birding, if you take your time, you should be able to find some decent glass in your range. Include "japan" in your search. One thing I do know, there is a lot of junk glass out there that is less than useless.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
My dad is going to be buying a spotting scope and is going to be spending up to $100. I have explained to him and he understands that a $100 spotting scope is probably not going to be great quality. But that's what he can afford. He just wants it to watch the bald eagles that nested across the lake behind the house and knows that a junk scope will be at least a little better than none at all. He found a 20-60X60 Tasco online, and I talked him out of it. I started looking around and found a Barska 20-50X50 for about $80 that had better online reviews and seemed to be put together much better. Anybody have any input or suggestions? $100!

rw
I'll be interested to know what his feedback is, I'm all for getting the best optics you can afford, but there is no reason to spend money if lower cost equipment can handle the task.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Spike

Minox MD 50 would be my choice. Great little scope for the $$$
Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Update:
My dad got the Barska and it is all he ever wanted and more. His back had gone out just before he got it in the mail so he had to sit at his desk and use it to count nails in the tin roof out on the shed. Since then he's gotten it out and has been able to watch the eagles across the lake. He wishes he would have gotten one sooner.

rw
Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would suggest the Celestron Ultima 65. At or under $100 I have yet to find a scope that matched its optical performance and overall lightweight. Plus Celestron has a No Fault warranty.