Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Bushnell question--- >

Bushnell question---

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Bushnell question---

Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bushnell question---

I just recently installed a new Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy XLT on a very nice used #1B in 30-06--got the Ruger off-set rear ring and so the eye relief is correct--bore sighted it at home and then went out to the range to fine tune it--set up a "dirty Bird" on the 50 yard line and couldn't see any hits with the first three rounds-After walking down to check where I hit, I discovered a nice tight pattern about a foot high and three inches to the right--made my scope adjustments, still very high and right--I shot three shot strings and let the barrel cool for at least fifteen minutes between strings and never could get it to come down far enough--started to get them centered and then the next group would be still be high, but slightly left---the rifle seems to be grouping as it should ,but it's like the scope will not hold the adjustments---I realize that this is not a top of the line Bushnell, but I paid right at $220.00 for it and I at least expected it to take the recoil--so if the rifle is grouping reasonably well, the rings are tight and I am doing my part, could it just be the scope?--I've mounted many scopes and have no problem getting them sighted in, but this is acting like scopes I've seen that have been "shot out" or trashed from being mounted on a big bore--any suggestions, I'm puzzled---
Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like the scope to me. You can get a Bushnell Elite 4200 on close out sale for $200 or less, check around. Cabela's had them a couple of weeks ago an it is a very nice scope.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on the scope issue. Do you have a different scope you can switch out and then re-try? IMO, I'd part with that Trophy XLT in a NY minute. ..there are tons better options out there.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate good advice--problem is, I took it back out to the range, not quite as hot, more time and I went ahead and used the Packmeyer slip-on pad, and started to get some decent groups--right before I left, I could keep three in the center of the target, say a 2 inch circle or so--still not as good as I want, but getting there--if I had any idea that a 4200 series could be had for a little over $200 at Cabella's, I'd have driven up there--the thing about the Bushnells is they have a longer tailpiece than many of the other major makes of scopes and that is needed on the number ones, even with the Ruger offsets--so, I'll give my shoulder a few days rest and then give it another try--if I can't get the groups I want, then I'll swap out this Trophy for the 4200---John
Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

John, I had a 4200 3x9 on my 1B with a rear extension ring. It worked fine.