Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Binoculars for a Newbie? >

Binoculars for a Newbie?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Binoculars for a Newbie?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Spike

the vortex talon is a great binocular, good for various uses, good glass, and its got that warranty =) Can't go wrong with this one. Good luck
Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

As you mentioned, there are many, many choices. The early on considerations that need to be dealt with are typically (1) Use and (2) Price. It has been my experience that with any optical devices from binoculars to spotting scopes to camera lenses, etc., there are no secrets out there in the industry. Makers of these devices usually attempt to carve themselves out a niche based upon these two issues. Some attempt to cover all the bases. You will find the lower end, from about $150 down, is saturated with "brands". Many of these "brands" are made on contract by the same manufacturers. I am not a fan of lower priced optics becasue of past experience. On the other end are what are considered "top of the line" binoculars, which are indeed superb. But they carry a hefty price tag, whether it be Ziess, Swarovski, Lieca, etc. I will admit that I am a user of the top end stuff, and highly recommend both Swarovski and Nikon's best. But in my opinion, the "values" are found in the $350 - $500 range. I am certainly not able to compare across a large number of different brands/models. But I can say that the Pentax models in the $450-$500 range are great. I have used them and have bought them as gifts. My wife uses the top end Bushnell 8x40 and it is very nice for the $$$. I have Nikon's top end, Venturer, and I have the top end Swarovski. The Nikon was priced at about 75% of the Swarovski and I cannot tell one iota of difference. But stiil you are in the $1000 range. couple of buddies of mine have the top end Ziess. Very, very nice. I have had a Nikon in the $250 range. Not worth the $$$. I was given the best Simmons compacts that cost about $75 a few years back .... junk. I have a Minolta compact that came in an Atlanta Olympics "gift pack". These bino's cost about $125 back then ... very, very good.

So ... long story short. For general hunting, look at bino's in the $400 range for value. Something in 8x40 should be sufficient. If it is a compact, say for bow hunting ... probably a Pentax or Minolta in the $125 range would be OK. If you have the big bucks, forget all of this and go straight to Ziess or Swarovski.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Spike

go with the nikon or leopold.they are better than the low end and not overpriced like the top end.$400 should get you a pair you will like. anything less you wont be satisfed with.

Last edited by browningbolt; 06-05-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Spike

I'm not sure of your price range, but I extremely recommend bushnell powerview 10x32 roof prism. $35. I mean they are no $200+ binocular but they are terrific, compact, powerful, and the roof prism makes for a brighter view in low light situations.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Spike

Look @ the Vortex or Zen Ray stuff, there is something in you price range from each of them!!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Don;t know what the warranty is but from the same site:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=873902