Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Best choice out of these? >

Best choice out of these?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Best choice out of these?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
I suggest sticking with 8X and 40(ish) mm objectives for your price range. Fact is when you increase the power the more noticable the inperfections in the glass/coatings or image. Larger then 43 mm objectives are harder to hold steady, they are also bulky and simply aren't needed for hunting/carry bins IMO.

As too which one let your eyes do the talking. Just make sure to view outside the store lights. I also suggest comparing under both good and fading light. it may take a few trips but its worth the time then being disaapointed in the field.
I'll second this. If you are hunting the big woods, there is absolutely no reason to get 10x binos, especially if they are cheap ones. It will just give you a headache (literally). Start with 8x, you may be able to get nicer binos for less money in an 8x42 magnification. Another point I might add is that because you are in the woods on MI, I am assuming it gets darker in the woods than the fields due to the trees. Because of this, you really need good binos to get the last light possible, which all of the binos you listed will only do to a certain extent, then they go dark. Pick up some Leupold green rings or something similar, I've used them before and they are great and relatively inexpensive.

A bunch of different models listed here:

http://www.google.com/products?q=leu...x42&hl=en&aq=f
Old 09-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thumbs up

Lifetime Warranty is a must....................!

Buy it once; Preferably from a company that is going to be around during your lifetime.

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-12-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

I'm thinking from what you listed you're on a limited buget. From what you have listed the Bushnell Trophy aren't bad for the money but I would save up a few more $ and get the 10x42 which in the Trophy can be had at $140. Redfield might be another choice in your price range.
Stay away from Permafocus. Those are the only ones I would for for at your price point. If you can save up in the future look at Bushnell Legend line and some of the Leupold Csacades and other around that price point.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Lifetime Warranty is a must....................!

Buy it once; Preferably from a company that is going to be around during your lifetime.
X1000!
You will save lots of money in the long run. May be hard initially, but when you can count on them from now on, it is a good feeling. Companies won't stamp a full lifetime warranty on something they expect to cost them in the future either, so you will be getting something quality!